Ducks preview- are patience close to paying off?

yave1964

PREVIOUS SEASON 23-47-12 58 Points, worst record in Hockey. minus 129 goal differential, worst in the game. By far.

ADDITIONS Drafted Leo Karlsson with the second pick in the draft. Signed Killorn away from the Bolts.  Brought some snarl to the back end with Gudas and Hagg. Drysdale missed the season will return this season. Rugged Lybushkin came aboard in a trade from Buffalo.

SUBTRACTIONS Shattenkirk, Comtois and Stolarz are all vets who were given a copy of the home game and shown the door.

KIDS IN THE SYSTEM Dostal is a real deal goalie prospect stuck behind Gibson. Helleson will crack the blueline this year along with Mintyukov and Lacombe. All are skilled and along with Drysdale give the Ducks tremendous hope for the future of the back end. Leo Carlsson brings elite skill to combine with McTavish and Zegras giving them an insane amount of skill down the middle. Olen Zellweger is yet another fantastic defense prospect who will likely play in the AHL while Benoit Olivier Grouix is a solid B level prospect at center who was second in the AHL in scoring last year and is beating on the door for a roster spot. 

SO ARE THEY GOING TO FINISH DED LAST AGAIN THIS YEAR? No, not even last in their own division.  They are talented and deep and raw, not ready to contend but their is light at the end of the tunnel.

When i look at a team, i look at their  top five, three frowards and two blueliners and kind of see where i see the team in relation to others.  Ducks top five are

Terry...Zegras....McTavish....Fowler...Drysdale.

That is a bottom third top five with upside. The top five rank about 20th, 21st among all teams but could massively move up in a year or so.

HOWEVER

After that you have

Carlsson...Zellweger....Killorn...Mintyukov...Helleson

Lots of teams have a better top five. Lots and lots. Very few have a better second five. And this team is young hungry and full of incredible upside.

I believe they will be raw and ugly and finish sixth this year, Carlsson may spend the year in the A, but 2024-25 is when they make their move. I see them where the Kings were two years ago, drafted well, took their lumps and ready to start bearing fruit. Lots to like with this team going forward. 6th place realistic.

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

19 minutes ago, Holymakinaw said:

"are patience close to paying off?"

I'm going to assume you meant IS THEIR patience close to paying off.........and the answer is no.

Yes that is what I meant, lol.

I have no horse (or Duck) in the race but I cannot think of a single team with as many under 25 year old superior talent players in the organization. Not quite ready but I like the direction. Within two years I believe they will be a consistent playoff team. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 11:36 AM, yave1964 said:

PREVIOUS SEASON 23-47-12 58 Points, worst record in Hockey. minus 129 goal differential, worst in the game. By far.

ADDITIONS Drafted Leo Karlsson with the second pick in the draft. Signed Killorn away from the Bolts.  Brought some snarl to the back end with Gudas and Hagg. Drysdale missed the season will return this season. Rugged Lybushkin came aboard in a trade from Buffalo.

SUBTRACTIONS Shattenkirk, Comtois and Stolarz are all vets who were given a copy of the home game and shown the door.

KIDS IN THE SYSTEM Dostal is a real deal goalie prospect stuck behind Gibson. Helleson will crack the blueline this year along with Mintyukov and Lacombe. All are skilled and along with Drysdale give the Ducks tremendous hope for the future of the back end. Leo Carlsson brings elite skill to combine with McTavish and Zegras giving them an insane amount of skill down the middle. Olen Zellweger is yet another fantastic defense prospect who will likely play in the AHL while Benoit Olivier Grouix is a solid B level prospect at center who was second in the AHL in scoring last year and is beating on the door for a roster spot. 

SO ARE THEY GOING TO FINISH DED LAST AGAIN THIS YEAR? No, not even last in their own division.  They are talented and deep and raw, not ready to contend but their is light at the end of the tunnel.

When i look at a team, i look at their  top five, three frowards and two blueliners and kind of see where i see the team in relation to others.  Ducks top five are

Terry...Zegras....McTavish....Fowler...Drysdale.

That is a bottom third top five with upside. The top five rank about 20th, 21st among all teams but could massively move up in a year or so.

HOWEVER

After that you have

Carlsson...Zellweger....Killorn...Mintyukov...Helleson

Lots of teams have a better top five. Lots and lots. Very few have a better second five. And this team is young hungry and full of incredible upside.

I believe they will be raw and ugly and finish sixth this year, Carlsson may spend the year in the A, but 2024-25 is when they make their move. I see them where the Kings were two years ago, drafted well, took their lumps and ready to start bearing fruit. Lots to like with this team going forward. 6th place realistic.

The kings appear to be filling their holes with trades and UFA's. Dubois, Fiala, Danault, Gavrikov, while still leaning on Kopitar and Doughty

Who did they draft well that is bearing fruit other than Kempe and Vilardi? They drafted Cernak but traded him for Ben Bishop. Matt Roy is "ok"....and that's it since 2014 for 9 years of drafting lol

Kaliev is showing a bit of potential. Byfield has potential but it should be showing by now. Turcotte REALLY should be showing by now. Clarke is going to need a few more years.

The ducks have some significantly better looking draft picks showing bearing fruit lol

• Like 2