Dahlin signs 8-year, $88 million contract with Sabres

NHL HHOF

Dahlin signs 8-year, $88 million contract with Sabres

Defenseman had NHL career-high 73 points last season; deal starts in 2024-25

https://www.nhl.com/news/rasmus-dahlin-signs-8-year-deal-with-buffalo

Rasmus Dahlin signed an eight-year, $88 million contract with the Buffalo Sabres on Monday. The contract, which has an average annual value of $11 million, begins next season. The 23-year-old defenseman is entering his sixth NHL season. The No. 1 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft had an NHL career-high 73 points (15 goals, 58 assists) in 78 games for Buffalo last season. "I know I'm biased, but I look at him as one of the top in the world at what he does," Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams said of Dahlin last season. "He's taken huge steps. I couldn't be more proud of him, but I also know how much work he's put into this. I still think he's going to get better. You hear me say that a lot. He's a player I believe will keep getting better."

A native of Lidkoping, Sweden, Dahlin has 233 points (46 goals, 187 assists) in 355 games through his first five seasons. He is one of 12 defensemen to get 200 points in the NHL prior to his 23rd birthday. "He's so competitive," Sabres captain Kyle Okposo said. "That's probably his best leadership quality, how competitive he is. He just wants to win all the time. He wants to be the best. He wants to be on the ice in every situation. He's been incredible." Dahlin is a key member of a young, talented core in Buffalo, which also includes forwards Tage Thompson, 25, Dylan Cozens, 22, Casey Mittelstadt, 24, Jack Quinn, 22, and JJ Peterka, 21, and defenseman Owen Power, 20.

Buffalo was fifth in the Atlantic Division last season (42-33-7) and finished one point behind the Florida Panthers for the second wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs from the Eastern Conference. The Sabres host the New York Rangers (7 p.m. ET, MSG-B, MSG, SN360) at KeyBank Center on Thursday to open the 2023-24 season. "I love the city. I love the team. I love everything," Dahlin said at the start of training camp. "It's important that Buffalo is [represented]. We're gaining some respect now. ... It's awesome to represent my club."

darz6cziqi1gbnydp2yn.jpg

2 hours ago, radoran said:

image.gif

Could be a nice foundational deal for Buffalo.

Dahlin is a very nice piece. Sabres positioned to continue to improve and maybe become a threat in the Atlantic and,  dare we say it, the East?

You can dare...the rest of us got tired of being burnt by the Bills :ph34r: 

All kidding aside, a no-brainer to hang onto Dahlin for the long haul.
11M AAV though? Well, I guess...
Not saying he isn't worth it, but will that impede the team's ability to retain enough of a star core down the road to establish a championship team?
We will see.

I really would like to root for the Sabres to do well, especially since one of my best online friends who passed some years ago, was a Sabre fan, but SOME people round here make that AWFULLY difficult :shifty: 

At any rate, kudos to the Sabres for identifying the type of player they will need to be a winner and making sure he goes nowhere else.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 3:47 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You can dare...the rest of us got tired of being burnt by the Bills :ph34r: 

All kidding aside, a no-brainer to hang onto Dahlin for the long haul.
11M AAV though? Well, I guess...
Not saying he isn't worth it, but will that impede the team's ability to retain enough of a star core down the road to establish a championship team?
We will see.

I really would like to root for the Sabres to do well, especially since one of my best online friends who passed some years ago, was a Sabre fan, but SOME people round here make that AWFULLY difficult :shifty: 

At any rate, kudos to the Sabres for identifying the type of player they will need to be a winner and making sure he goes nowhere else.

I’m debating whether or not to get a stream from FUBO and be able to watch the Sabres as I can’t get them on YOUTUBE TV. I may see if they prove to be competitive?  After Levi was lit up for 7 by Penguins in preseason I’m hesitant.  I no longer believe in this small goalie and you mentioned the Bills.  Absolutely could have been SB winner but now Milano is done!  Knee , out for season it seems. He is a huge loss.  Von Miller better live up to expectations.  They must get a CB off wire also.  As White also finished.