✨🥅 2023-24 NHL GENERAL SEASON THREAD 🥅 ✨

TropicalFruitGirl26

15 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

John Tortorella has been ejected from tonight's game between the Flyers and Lightning.  Tonight's game is dedicated to the 2004 Stanley Cup team...so basically Torts was ejected from a game dedicated to him 🤣

I settled in to watch this late in the 1st, so not sure what happened with Torts, but apparently, he isn't a fan of the officiating tonight.

Also, if Torts getting his arse thrown out for verballing assaulting officials doesn't tell ya he doesn't care about pomp n ceremony, I don't know what will.
Classic Torts simply focused on HIS OWN team's success....even though revered in Tampa Bay....and not giving a rat's arse about anything but Flyer hockey right now.
Gotta respect that.

• Good Post 1

Also in this Phi-TB game...Mat Dumba.

Looking pretty good in his debut.
He won't have to be anything more than a depth guy with the Bolts, don't do anything stupid (yes, I know...a problem for him in the past), and make the safe and hard hitting plays...let the TB stars do their thing while he makes sure no odd man rushes go the other way.

Again...so far, so good.
If it works out for him in TB, maybe some reasonable contract could be worked out to stay beyond this season.

If TB can bring out the best in defensively challenged players like Kevin Shattenkirk, then they might be able to do the same for Dumba.

The Canucks may have had some puck luck this season...hell, they are having some in this game against WPG...but they are also pretty damned good too!

Some in the media questioned why they "stood pat" on deadline day....well, why mess with a winning formula?
Besides....they already got their guys (Lindholm and Monahan) well before the deadline, and even signed Pettersson to a new contract to keep him happy and on board.

They really didn't need to do much at the deadline.

If the 'Nucks fail in the postseason, then the front office can examine what needs to be fixed then....but right now, they are doing pretty well.

And leading the J-e-t-s, Jets, Jets, Jets 3-0 at the end of 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright now...so, what is going on with regards to playoff races around the NHL?

Well for starters, in the East, what looked like would only be one team or the other (one from the Atlantic, one from the Metro) that takes the top spot has now turned into a legit 4 team race for that.
The NY Rangers, the surging Carolina Hurricanes, the Florida Panthers, and the Boston Bruins can all make a run at grabbing the top spot in the East and having home ice throughout.
If ya snooze, ya lose.....so we will see which three teams snooze while the 4th grabs home ice!

Staying in the East, the Leafs looked sorta locked into their third spot position in the Atlantic, meaning, they will visit the loser of the Atlantic division in Round 1 of the playoffs.....so Leafs at Panthers, or Leafs at Bruins is looking likely.

The Flyers in the Metro, meanwhile, aren't as locked in as Toronto and must play their arses off if they want to hold onto the third spot they currently hold.
Teams chasing them, the Washington Capitals, New Jersey Devils, and especially, the NY Islanders, have all hit some skids however.
Doesn't mean The Fly can relax, but it does mean the pressure isn't as great as it was about a week or so ago.

The Lightning seem to have a pretty good hold on the first wild card....they have an outside chance of possibly catching the Leafs, but not likely.
The Detroit Red Wings are trying to hang onto that last WC spot, but they must fend off whatever Metro teams don't catch Philadelphia, but are good enough to catch THEM!
Crazy stuff!

Out West, there is a FANTASTIC three team tumble for the Central Division between Winnipeg, Colorado, and Dallas. Any one of those three can end up with the division lead and host a wild card team, and any three could be second or third and play each other in a perfect display of why the current playoff format is so flawed:
Any meetings between any of the Jets, Stars, or Avs should be reserved for LATER rounds in the playoffs...not Round 1...as a good, deserving team will not make it past the opening stanza and people will say, "Meh...they sucked, they couldn't get past the first round".
Bullshockey!

The Pacific Division sees Vancouver continue to lead and not likely to be caught by Edmonton for the division....and VAN also leads the aforementioned Central teams for the top overall Western slot.
Edmonton likely ends up in 2nd, hosting either the Kings or Knights in Round 1.

The Nashville Predators, meanwhile, have a seeming iron grip on that first wild card with no signs of slowing down.
All WC teams are being pursued by St. Louis, Minnesota, and Calgary as the outside dark horse (VERY dark horse!), but honestly, it doesn't look like any of those three are gonna catch Vegas, LA...and certainly not Nashville.

In that regard, the West teams look like they are set as to who will make it in, only changes being, what positions they finish in, while the East still has teams that need to be decided on who is actually in or out!

Exciting stuff down the stretch!

Hopefully Detroit and Washington both make it into the playoffs this year, knock out Philadelphia to make it. I need both, Ovechkin and Kane in the playoffs this year in the east. Pittsburgh-Crosby-Malkin are not making it this year, but hopefully we don't have to wait another season for Malkin's 500th goal. Dallas Stars and Joe Pavelski will make it to the playoffs this year.

Early Saturday afternoon, and the Detroit Red Wings are already giving the Florida Panthers all they can handle.

Panthers should be gearing up and fine tuning to make a long playoff run, while Detroit is fighting for their playoff lives, but at the moment, leading 1-0, the Wings look like they might be too much for Florida.

Sure, 60-minute game and all that, but if I am Florida (and based on Paul Maurice's reaction to some of his team's games recently), I try to figure out ways to lock down that defensive zone and be mindful of taking less penalties against ANYONE....because if they play like that in the post season, they will eaten alive by whomever they play!

It was fun for Detroit while it lasted.... after that initial fantastic first period, it has been all Florida Panthers and only Alex Lyon's super human saves has kept the Cats off the board...until the 3rd.

Florida takes a 2-1 lead in the final frame, with just 4 and a half to play after putting TONS of shots on Lyon and even more shot attempts, which ended up either blocked or deflected elsewhere.

Florida's Alexander Barkov went off for his team.

But wait...as I finish this, the Wings get a PP on a tripping penalty called on Florida, and lookee there....whatever Florida's captain can do, the Detroit captain can do as well.
Dylan Larkin scores on the PP for the tie score.
Under 4 to play.

Great game!

On 3/23/2024 at 6:50 AM, NHL HHOF said:

Hopefully Detroit and Washington both make it into the playoffs this year, knock out Philadelphia to make it. I need both, Ovechkin and Kane in the playoffs this year in the east. Pittsburgh-Crosby-Malkin are not making it this year, but hopefully we don't have to wait another season for Malkin's 500th goal. Dallas Stars and Joe Pavelski will make it to the playoffs this year.

To be honest,I'm guessing around the 27/28 season before the Tuxedo Birds make it back to the post-season. I'm hoping the rebuild is quicker than that.

Oh my God! I didn't see this coming! Sidney Crosby could get his 600th goal by the last game of the season for Pittsburgh, and become the 21st member of the 600 club. Maybe Evgeni Malkin will score his 500th goal in the same game that Sidney Crosby scores his 600th goal. I hope they work it out that way. I don't know if two players have ever scored milestones together in the same game. Crosby and Malkin each scored two goals tonight against New Jersey. Malkin needs 6 goals in 7 games, and Crosby needs 11 goals in 7 games. Can they do it? They also need to win all of their remaining games to make the playoffs. You know what?...Forget Washington (Ovechkin) and Philadelphia! I need Pittsburgh and Detroit (Patrick Kane) in the playoffs this season.

With recent lackluster results from Philly and Washington, grittiness by Detroit against some good clubs, and some resurgence by others, the pre-playoffs race amongst 5 teams for 2 slots is getting a bit more interesting.

Moneypuck as of this morning:

IMG_3316.thumb.jpeg.99f107089725d986fe7d99f6b12c5018.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

With recent lackluster results from Philly and Washington, grittiness by Detroit against some good clubs, and some resurgence by others, the pre-playoffs race amongst 5 teams for 2 slots is getting a bit more interesting.

Moneypuck as of this morning:

IMG_3316.thumb.jpeg.99f107089725d986fe7d99f6b12c5018.jpeg

Hey, I am all for a to-the-wire finish.

Although, this does remind me of the Western Conference some years ago where a bunch of teams (the Minnesota Wild were one of them) had the opportunity to 'grab the ball and run with it'...but NO ONE could seem to get ahold of a good streak, and things ended up with someone 'backing into' the post season as the final seed.

Lightning and Maple Leafs currently engaged in a game where Toronto is looking to officially secure a playoff berth.
Ryan Reaves has been ultra physical for Toronto so far...interesting to see if TB goes down that rabbit hole with him, or simply play their brand of hockey and beat Toronto on the scoreboard.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone blow up Reaves though....Bolts have some bodies that could certainly do that...

Reaves after running over Hedman along the end boards: "How you like that....you can't do that."

Hedman after scoring the opening goal a short while later: "How you like that.... not only can't you do that, but your 5 minutes a game are UP, pal.." :bigteeth:

Former Wild player Conor Dewar doing a real good job for the Maple Leafs being a disruptive force on the PK.

TB has one of the best PP units in the league and Dewar is leading the way in making them look pretty pedestrian.
Minnesota sure gonna miss that kind of determined play from him.

1 minute ago, Math said:

I've just checked the penalty boxscore of the Devils-Rangers game, it's a very good work.

I don't doubt the Devils are one angry team after that Pittsburgh fiasco....but who in the blazes is left to be on the ice in that Rangers game after that year's worth of major penalties?? :biggrin: 

Battle of the red hot teams this early afternoon...Tampa Bay at Pittsburgh.

Bolts seem to be getting the better of the physical play as Penguins are being hammered all over the ice.
However, Pittsburgh is ahead where it matters most right now, leading 1-0 on a Sidney Crosby goal that came about from a two on one rush.

TB has no shots on goal yet as I post this, nearly 8 minutes in.....a side effect of them concentrating on the physical play?
Maybe its time they changed course a bit and start putting shots towards Ned in goal for the Birds.....he's GOTTA be getting drowsy right about now...

Posted (edited)

Bolts look like they are still in brunch mode.

Pittsburgh just looks faster, more determined, and more desperate out there.
They lead 4-1 with a TON of momentum as the 2nd period wind down.

TB now has a PP opportunity.
They best come up with a goal here late in the frame if they want to take some of the spark the Penguins have built up!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Nick Perbix, a decent sized defenseman for the Lightning, and a 6th round selection from their 2017 draft, was supposed to replace the departed Jan Rutta as Victor Hedman's "nondescript but quietly effective" defense partner.

While the guy isn't terrible, why does it always seem like when there is a massive turnover, a bad pinch in, or opposing players left alone in front of goalie, HE is on the ice!?
Also, his shot could use a bit more urgency.

I don't understand....this guy started out really nice, the kind of nice where you go..."hey, he is a decent young defender"....but now seems to be, "oh now...Nick's out there again...."

Maybe that is who he really is and why he was there in the 6th round where the Bolts found him in the draft?
Hmmm...... at just 25 years old, if the Lightning can perhaps package him in with a minor league player to a rebuilding team in need of solid, if unspectacular players, then they should probably do it, as I don't think he will be anywhere near the Bolts' best defenders, and Rutta was better......!!

Penguins had things go their way for 40 minutes, lead 4-1, but the Bolts come storming back (pun intended!) in the 3rd....three unanswered goals to tie the game at 4.

Stamkos with the equalizer, his second of the game, and for anyone out there thinking he is washed up (including the TB GM!), think again.
That man better get a new contract with the Lightning as he has quite a few more good years left in him!

Let's see if the Lightning can finish this comeback off.

8 minutes left. Should be a wild finish.

Sidney Crosby now needs 10 goals in 5 games to make it to 600 by the end of this season. He still needs 3 assists for 1000. Steven Stamkos is now 30th all-time in goals with 551. This season he surpassed Pierre Turgeon, Dale Hawerchuk, Pat Verbeek, Bryan Trottier, Marian Hossa, Frank Mahovlich, Keith Tkachuk, Stan Mikita, Maurice Richard, Michel Goulet, and Ron Francis.

• Like 1

How the worm has turned in just five days, in this Eastern Conference battle between 5 clubs for 2 playoff slots.

Philly (0-5-2 since last win) and Washington (0-4-2 since last win) have been eclipsed from the top two slots to now be on the bottom!

Conversely, the NY Islanders (5-1-0 in last six) and Pittsburgh (6-0-1 since last loss) have vaulted from the bottom to 1st and 3rd to pass by our two Mid-Atlantic Death Spiralers!

Meanwhile, Detroit staying tough (2-2-2 in last six) - I would not count them out as they’ve risen to 2nd.

IMG_3388.thumb.jpeg.13d952736e8fb15bf12014101432bd07.jpeg

But what a tight pack.  Everyone has 5 games to play, except Philly with 4:

NYI 85

DET 84

PIT 83

WSH 83

PHI 83

The Prince of Wales Pre-Playoffs Race has reached high-gear!

• Like 1