Corey Perry signs with Edmonton

Perry picked his team. He has chosen the oilers to finish the season with 

Good signing. He is never gonna score 50, hell I would bet the farm he won't score 50 total but he plays solid and can play wing on multiple lines. Good cheap addition.

• Like 2

-Ken Holland likes signing guys whose contracts were terminated.

-He can still play and he's still awful to play against.

-Tremendous depth in this lineup at a bargain price.

-------

My best guess at what the forward group will look like:

RNH - 97 - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Foegele
Janmark - McLeod - Ryan
Brown - Holloway - Perry

That would be terrific speed down the middle.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

Towards the end of Perry's stint with the Lightning, I often found myself saying "Man, this guy is just too slow...he can't keep up with the league anymore, and he doesn't have the same scoring touch"
On top of that, the wish was, "He needs to be off the team".
I still feel that way...I wouldn't want him back on the Lightning. The team was losing good players left and right, and he was being asked to do more, much more, than he could do at this point in his career.
Bolts needed to get younger and faster, and truly replace the Killorns, the Gourdes, the Palats, the Colemans, and the Goodrows that they lost over the years....and Perry would never be a stand in for those guys.

That all said, Edmonton, red hot Edmonton, with their established line setups, led by McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Hyman up front, and Nurse, Ekholm, and Bouchard at the blue line, WON'T NEED Perry to be anything more than what he can still do:
Be a royal PITA, a disruptive force around the opposing crease, and move up n down the lineup as needed (but probably mostly bottom six), while chipping in goals here and there, which he can still do up close if teams decide they will double down on one of his linemates and not pay too much attention to him.

A wealth of experience comes along with him, the mind games he plays with the opponents, and the heat he attracts to himself, deflecting it away from his teammates, are all things that Edmonton should greatly benefit from despite him still being a slow, aged former star goal scorer.

Corey Perry is an a-hole on the ice.
A complete one.
But he is the kind of classic one that you like him being an a-hole FOR you, rather than against you.

Edmonton has lots of things in place already.
Adding Perry's intangibles and his still lingering on-ice skillset just helps them even more.

Agree with @yave1964, good signing to finish the season.

• Like 1