Sean Monahan traded to Winnipeg

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

For me, I'd have no choice but to take it as a no, in the end, and collect what I can.

No "yes" is a "no" and it's unbelievable a professional executive felt otherwise.

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Sign them up to that point, but not after.

There are risks, as Couturier's situation in Philadelphia shows. But also having a player take less than market value for longer term as a "lifetime" player expected to take a senior leadership role and get to 36/37 I can see arguments IN THE RIGHT CIRCIMSTANCES.

That said, I had hoped Couturier was such an instance. He may be, but it's been two seasons of nothing.

So, essentially, you're probably right.

:hocky:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thegx.ca said:

For me even if these bets/risks don't end up well in my opinion it was still the best move/trade to make for Calgary since not signing anyone and keeping Monahan is the wrong move I think...also yeah we'll see how Kadri declines but I'm thinking he'll still be effective into old age...

As for Calgary going from 1st to crap after Sutter won coach of the year that's nobody fault but Gaudreau because if Gaudreau doesn't choose to leave Tkachuk and the rest don't leave either they all try another year with Calgary at least hoping at a shot at the Cup...

On 3 years Calgary will be giving up assets to trade Kadri or doing the math on a buy out. 

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I have a list of hockey rules of thumb from over the years... Some are talked about all the time in the media, hockey circles, etc, and others aren't. You know: build from the middle and out, don't be scared to draft skinny kids, etc. There are two that apply well here:

-Identify your core players under 30, lock them up, and be prepared to mercilessly shed/deal anybody not in that core when the time comes.

-Never sign a non-core member over the age of 30 to anything more than a 1-year deal.

These are obviously not rules that Brad Treliving and a bunch of other GMs live by, but I'll take the Pepsi challenge with them anyway. I like Kadri, but he was way too old for that contract, and the Flames are paying for production he won't match again.

Looking over in the direction of Joe Sakic, we see a guy who shares my opinion about that situation, even being prepared to cut bait after winning a Stanley Cup. Nazem Kadri played big minutes for the Avs in 2022, and was a key member of that Cup win. Sakic was smart to not over-pay for that and didn't re-sign him, which would have cut into what needs to be devoted to his core. He did the same thing with Darcy Kuemper.

Bring them back for pre-game ceremonies in their 40s and 50s, but never lock them up long-term in their 30s.

There is a nice list of players that made out like bandits after outrageously great playoffs. They play out of their minds for 4 rounds and put up stats that they previously had not seemed capable of. Who was that guy for Chicago a few years back, his name escapes me, but he's a prime example. 

9 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

There is a nice list of players that made out like bandits after outrageously great playoffs. They play out of their minds for 4 rounds and put up stats that they previously had not seemed capable of. Who was that guy for Chicago a few years back, his name escapes me, but he's a prime example. 

Not Chicago, but Ville Leino fits the bill...

44 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Brandon Saad, and he's a textbook case.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brandon-saad

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

People in Edmonton legitimately wanted to kill Peter Pocklington for selling Wayne Gretzky. Wayne, for his part, didn't want to move, but he did want to be the highest paid player in the game, and that could never be afforded by Pockington in those days. The Oilers didn't get what he was worth, especially since there was no way that you could actually get what he was worth in player capital at the time, but it was a whole lot better than watching him walk for nothing.

Glen Sather was raked over the coals for dealing Curtis Joseph in his UFA year, but it was better than the alternative.

I think that's the right age. Sign them up to that point, but not after. Flames management isn't faultless in this, because they let it get to that point. Articles were being written at the time, letting Treliving off the hook, saying that Gaudreau wouldn't give them a yes or no answer. For me, I'd have no choice but to take it as a no, in the end, and collect what I can.

Yeah that was the case for Gaudreau and Treliving...Treliving should have dealt him when he couldn't get confirmation from him yeah but I understand why Treliving bet on being able to resign him since everything was going right for Gaudreau in Calgary even money wise being paid more than was Columbus offered Treliving just bet wrong and risked it all on Gaudreau...not a bad bet just a bad result I'd say...

As for Wayne Gretzky wanting to stay in Edmonton I'd say he didn't want to stay enough or he'd have made it happen haha Wayne just protecting his wife from criticism like he always does I look at the facts that she's already from the Hollywood lifestyle and she getting to go back there isn't a coincidence in my option just like it ain't no coincidence that Megan Markle gets whatever she wants like going back to live in Hollywood again too😄

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Saad's a good one, but was thinking of Bryan Bickell. The power forward who never got back on track after the playoff run and subsequent 4 year contract....lol.

Never heard of him😄

• Haha 1