Sean Monahan traded to Winnipeg

MIKE CHIARIX.com LogoFEBRUARY 2, 2024

MONTREAL, CANADA - JANUARY 23:  Sean Monahan #91 of the Montreal Canadiens skates during the second period against the Ottawa Senators at the Bell Centre on January 23, 2024 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.  The Ottawa Senators defeated the Montreal Canadiens 4-1.  (Photo by Minas Panagiotakis/Getty Images)
Minas Panagiotakis/Getty Images

The Montreal Canadiens reportedly agreed to trade veteran center Sean Monahan to the Winnipeg Jets on Friday.

According to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet, the Canadiens will receive a first-round pick and a conditional draft pick in return. TSN's Pierre LeBrun added that the first-rounder is in 2024, and the conditional pick is a 2027 third-rounder.

Monahan, who has spent the past two seasons in Montreal, is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

• Good Post 1

Monahan traded to Jets by Canadiens for 2 draft picks

Forward has 35 points this season; Montreal receives 1st in 2024 draft, conditional 3rd in 2027

Sean Monahan was traded to the Winnipeg Jets by the Montreal Canadiens on FridaMontreal received a first-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft and a conditional third-round pick in the 2027 NHL Draft.

Monahan signed a one-year contract with the Canadiens on June 20, 2023, and can become an unrestricted free agent after the season.

The 29-year-old forward has 35 points (13 goals, 22 assists) in 49 games this season. He has played in every game this season after being limited to 25 games last season because of injury.

Selected by the Calgary Flames in the first round (No. 6) of the 2013 NHL Draft, Monahan has 514 points (231 goals, 283 assists) in 730 regular-season games for the Canadiens and Flames, and 21 points (10 goals, 11 assists) in 30 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

The Jets (30-12-5) are third in the Central Division and have lost three in a row (0-2-1). Following the break for the 2024 NHL All-Star weekend, they next play at the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday.

The Canadiens (20-21-8) are seventh in the Atlantic Division, 10 points behind the Detroit Red Wings, who hold the second wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs from the Eastern Conference. Montreal next plays at the Washington Capitals on Tuesday.

• Good Post 1

This one was written all over the place, Habs fans must be all fulminating right now. That being said, if Monahan is back with Montréal this summer, Hughes will be seen of the new God in place. If not, ouch...

• Like 1

-Savage horse trading by Montreal... The Habs turned future considerations into a pair of 1st round picks and a conditional 3rd round pick.

-The Jets paid, and did they ever pay in full. I wouldn't have guessed that Monahan would cost more than a 2nd round pick.

-Monahan provides more defensive play for WPG's third line, but he's also a slow skater and getting slower by the day. I dunno...

-He can still play, but the price was steep.

---

edit

---

-The fans may come away disappointed if they're looking for a lot of offense in the deal; he won't put up what he did in Montreal. Half of his points were scored on the power-play, and he won't be getting those sorts of minutes in Winnipeg. He's 213th in even-strength scoring, so he won't get a chance to pad the numbers with the new team.

-My guess is that the team is more aware of that than a lot of fans are, and are looking more for a two-way game from him.

Edited by JR Ewing

Good deal for Winnipeg they need another good center since Schiefle injured and they have to start adding for their payoff push so it's a reasonable risk for Winnipeg espcially since Vancouver added the best centre on the market already...good for Money too getting to go to a serious contender👍

Sorry...1st and future 3rd is a massive overpay. I swore the Habs would get a 2nd...tops. The fact Monahan is a UFA after this season makes it far worse. 

Calgary gives up a 1st to unload him on Montreal...Montreal gets a 1st and 3rd to trade him....if he signs with Montreal next summer and the process is repeated ....wow....just wow. 

This makes the Trevling lead  Flames look real bad. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Sorry...1st and future 3rd is a massive overpay. I swore the Habs would get a 2nd...tops. The fact Monahan is a UFA after this season makes it far worse. 

Calgary gives up a 1st to unload him on Montreal...Montreal gets a 1st and 3rd to trade him....if he signs with Montreal next summer and the process is repeated ....wow....just wow. 

Gotta remember Calgary needed cap space to get Kadri at the time so it was either don't get Kadri or get him and pay to off load contracts...in this case I think it looks good for Treliving since he accomplished the goal of improving the team plus at the time nobody wanted Monahan so bottom line it was really was either don't get Kadri and I think Treliving made right choice to get Kadri Calgary needed him badly...as much as I love Monahan getting Kadri made it all better...

1 hour ago, thegx.ca said:

Gotta remember Calgary needed cap space to get Kadri at the time so it was either don't get Kadri or get him and pay to off load contracts...in this case I think it looks good for Treliving since he accomplished the goal of improving the team plus at the time nobody wanted Monahan so bottom line it was really was either don't get Kadri and I think Treliving made right choice to get Kadri Calgary needed him badly...as much as I love Monahan getting Kadri made it all better...

What I said on the day Kadri was signed:

Treliving was in a tough spot, but I think it's pretty difficult to say that the team was improved in these deals. They went from winning the division to finishing 5th last year and are 6th in the Pacific as of today.

Again; the Flames were in a predicament, and I have empathy for Treliving here. The bets were fair, but carried risk, since Huberdeau/Kadri were going to be asked to be #1s when they hadn't been before. Huberdeau had Barkov in Florida to do the heavy lifting and Kadri had MacKinnon in Colorado facing the toughs. I like Kadri in particular, but they paid the steep price of a 1st to make room to get out of Monahan's contract.

How much will they eventually pay to get out of Kadri's?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Treliving was in a tough spot, but I think it's pretty difficult to say that the team was improved in these deals. They went from winning the division to finishing 5th last year and are 6th in the Pacific as of today.

Again; the Flames were in a predicament, and I have empathy for Treliving here. The bets were fair, but carried risk, since Huberdeau/Kadri were going to be asked to be #1s when they hadn't been before. Huberdeau had Barkov in Florida to do the heavy lifting and Kadri had MacKinnon in Colorado facing the toughs. I like Kadri in particular, but they paid the steep price of a 1st to make room to get out of Monahan's contract.

Screenshot_2024-02-03-09-55-43-05_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jammer2 said:

this is how you acquire assets ........

image.thumb.png.a0fd926b19d43b7e494cfa2921851733.png

This is how you build a team and if the Habs draft correctly, draft impact players

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thegx.ca said:

Well, Monahan is younger, has 4 less pts than Kadri and is not signed till 38 yrs old at 7 mill per. Lets face it, Kadri got paid large for that awesome playoff run...

Trevling actually hurt the Flames by signing Kadri. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

It was the classic case of "needing" someone to fill next season's hole, and filling it with an eight year deal.

The Flames lost players, "needed" to show fans they were still serious, and two years later are blowing it up anyway with a $10.5M anchor around their necks for eight years ON TOP of Kadri for six.

Calgary fans would have been better off not getting into this position in the first place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Well, Monahan is younger, has 4 less pts than Kadri and is not signed till 38 yrs old at 7 mill per. Lets face it, Kadri got paid large for that awesome playoff run...

I have a list of hockey rules of thumb from over the years... Some are talked about all the time in the media, hockey circles, etc, and others aren't. You know: build from the middle and out, don't be scared to draft skinny kids, etc. There are two that apply well here:

-Identify your core players under 30, lock them up, and be prepared to mercilessly shed/deal anybody not in that core when the time comes.

-Never sign a non-core member over the age of 30 to anything more than a 1-year deal.

These are obviously not rules that Brad Treliving and a bunch of other GMs live by, but I'll take the Pepsi challenge with them anyway. I like Kadri, but he was way too old for that contract, and the Flames are paying for production he won't match again.

Looking over in the direction of Joe Sakic, we see a guy who shares my opinion about that situation, even being prepared to cut bait after winning a Stanley Cup. Nazem Kadri played big minutes for the Avs in 2022, and was a key member of that Cup win. Sakic was smart to not over-pay for that and didn't re-sign him, which would have cut into what needs to be devoted to his core. He did the same thing with Darcy Kuemper.

Bring them back for pre-game ceremonies in their 40s and 50s, but never lock them up long-term in their 30s.

• Good Post 2

7 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

For me even if these bets/risks don't end up well in my opinion it was still the best move/trade to make for Calgary since not signing anyone and keeping Monahan is the wrong move I think...also yeah we'll see how Kadri declines but I'm thinking he'll still be effective into old age...

As for Calgary going from 1st to crap after Sutter won coach of the year that's nobody fault but Gaudreau because if Gaudreau doesn't choose to leave Tkachuk and the rest don't leave either they all try another year with Calgary at least hoping at a shot at the Cup...

7 hours ago, pilldoc said:

this is how you acquire assets ........

image.thumb.png.a0fd926b19d43b7e494cfa2921851733.png

This is how you build a team and if the Habs draft correctly, draft impact players

Montreal got the most benefit from Mony for sure haha...

Just now, thegx.ca said:

For me even if these bets/risks don't end up well in my opinion it was still the best move/trade to make for Calgary since not signing anyone and keeping Monahan is the wrong move I think...also yeah we'll see how Kadri declines but I'm thinking he'll still be effective into old age...

I hope his decline phase goes well enough. I like him and always appreciated his his Give a sh|t/60. Big heart. Big compete.

Just now, thegx.ca said:

As for Calgary going from 1st to crap after Sutter won coach of the year that's nobody fault but Gaudreau because if Gaudreau doesn't choose to leave Tkachuk and the rest don't leave either they all try another year with Calgary at least hoping at a shot at the Cup...

Well, yeah. Gaudreau and Tkachuk forced the club to change plans. It’s so very hard to build something good, almost impossible to build something great, and even when you do, plans can change in an instant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Time will tell but not getting Kadri was the worse move because keeping Monahan I doubt he'd be doing as well without Suzuki and Caufield playing with him on power plays...we all just guessing at what could be if Calgary kept Monahan but either way I think keeping Monahan would be the wrong move anyways...

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Well, yeah. Gaudreau and Tkachuk forced the club to change plans. It’s so very hard to build something good, almost impossible to build something great, and even when you do, plans can change in an instant.

They should never have lost him for nothing.

And it seems pretty obvious they dodged a bullet by not signing him long term.

Imagine Calgary with the haul they could have gotten for a Gaudreau at his peak? Then trade Tkachuck AND move Huberdeau.

None of these things were particularly controversial concepts. You had stacked drafts coming up and the ability to blame the stars that forced their hands for the rough patch.

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Identify your core players under 30, lock them up, and be prepared to mercilessly shed/deal anybody not in that core when the time comes.

-Never sign a non-core member over the age of 30 to anything more than a 1-year deal.

You should have your core locked up into their 33/34 years.

And you HAVE to be willing to deal guys to get more value than nothing for losing people.

The Flames we're not winning the Cup with Gaudreau and should have bit that bullet.

EDIT: two bullet analogies in the same post reveal my American citizenship...

Edited by radoran

1 minute ago, radoran said:

They should never have lost him for nothing.

And it seems pretty obvious they dodged a bullet by not signing him long term.

Imagine Calgary with the haul they could have gotten for a Gaudreau at his peak? Then trade Tkachuck AND move Huberdeau.

None of these things were particularly controversial concepts. You had stacked drafts coming up and the ability to blame the stars that forced their hands for the rough patch.

People in Edmonton legitimately wanted to kill Peter Pocklington for selling Wayne Gretzky. Wayne, for his part, didn't want to move, but he did want to be the highest paid player in the game, and that could never be afforded by Pockington in those days. The Oilers didn't get what he was worth, especially since there was no way that you could actually get what he was worth in player capital at the time, but it was a whole lot better than watching him walk for nothing.

Glen Sather was raked over the coals for dealing Curtis Joseph in his UFA year, but it was better than the alternative.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

You should have your core locked up into their 33/34 years.

And you HAVE to be willing to deal guys to get more value than nothing for losing people.

The Flames we're not winning the Cup with Gaudreau and should have bit that bullet.

I think that's the right age. Sign them up to that point, but not after. Flames management isn't faultless in this, because they let it get to that point. Articles were being written at the time, letting Treliving off the hook, saying that Gaudreau wouldn't give them a yes or no answer. For me, I'd have no choice but to take it as a no, in the end, and collect what I can.

• Like 1