2024 World Championships

SaucyJack

Posted (edited)

I read in the news this morning that the so-called (i.e., without players from the eight surviving clubs in the Stanley Cup chase) World Championships just started.  In Czech Republic (or is it now Czechia?)

What caught my eye is not so much that the Blackhawks’ Connor Bedard’s 2 goals led Canada to victory in their opener…

but that it was against Great Britain.

Blimey, turns out it’s their first hockey participation at this level, now innit?

And a decent result, only losing 4-2, mate.

Somehow the Brits found a way for some youth to focus on hockey instead of football ⚽️ or cycling 🚴 or rugby 🏉 or darts 🎯  

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some drama at the end of the group phase in Czechia.  The aforementioned Britain won their final game to finish 15th of 16.  Not last place!  Scrummy, chaps!

But the drama was that it saved Finland from damp squib humiliation…

…had Britain instead lost their last game to the Austrians, the latter would have tied the Finns for 4th place, the last ‘playoffs’ spot, in Canada’s group.  Perhaps the biggest upset earlier was a last-second victory by Austria over Finland.  Head-to-head is the tiebreaker.

Helsinki need to send reindeer treats of some sort over to London, right, for stopping them going all to pot, and letting them play at least one more, vs Sweden.

• Like 1

But a different Bruin, Pavel Zacha, scores on Lindgren, I suppose, multiple-deflection lucky bounce goal.  Bunch of Czech Republicans going wild…

Posted (edited)

4 minutes to go, and USA have yet to solve Anaheim’s Lukas Dostal.  Worry time, down 1-0…

…and so it ends.  Hate it when one lucky accident wins it.

Meanwhile, but for the Brits, those lucky Finns would not have the Swedes worried about elimination as they battle into OT.

Edited by SaucyJack

Minnesota Wild put their stamp on things in the person of Joel Eriksson Ek, scoring the OT Power Play winner for 👑 👑 👑 and thereby preventing Group A from sweeping the QFs.

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

US loses to Cesko? Who would have thought with this roster?

Who’d have thought the hosts would also clobber Sweden 7-3?  To play Canada I mean Switzerland ( 😲 ) in the final?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

Czechia won it all on home soil.

USA should get Silver for giving them their closest game.

Well, other than the fact Switzerland and Canada actually beat them, sure.

17 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

other than the fact Switzerland and Canada actually beat them

Well…preliminary round.  I don’t think Pastrnak was there yet when they first played the Swiss.  He was in the final prelim game (OT loss) to Canada.

But when the Real Stuff started…

I saw on YouTube that Pastrnak sounded off after winning the IIHF thing, royally pissed that Czechia is not included in next February’s NHL Four Nations mini-tournament.