NHL GMs propose "hybrid" icing rule

Guest JackStraw

http://slapshot.blog...ule/?ref=hockey

Under the hybrid icing proposal, players race to an imaginary line at the face-off dots. If the defensive player wins the race, icing is called; if the offensive player wins, play continues.

At first glance I'm not crazy about this. An imaginary line seems like it could lead to a lot of uncertainty for the players, not to mention some fuzzy calls by the officials.

Edited by JackStraw

From the sounds of it it's a done deal. I think it's better than no touch because it doesn't take away a players chance of beating the opposition to the puck.

The problem with it is it doesn't take away the chance for a bad collision on a close play. That's when the injuries happen...not on an icing when it's clear that the defenseman is going to get to the puck first. Isn't that what they are trying to eliminate?

EDIT: Forgot to mention this...I don't believe the article doesn't portray the rule exactly the way it will be called. The AHL used a hybrid icing rule in the pre-season this year. The linesmen did NOT blow the play dead on close plays NO MATTER WHO WON THE RACE TO THE IMAGINARY LINE. They only blew it down when the D-man was the clear cut winner at the line. And, as I stated earlier, the close plays are the plays when the injuries happen.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

@AlaskaFlyerFan

The ref is to whistle the play to call it dead if the defenceman is closest. If the opposition is closest play is on. If they're even, it's the refs discretion to call it dead. I think the defenceman generally is worried about the puck as much as the player in a race, so it isn't just "paste him into the boards" scenario...we hope.

@JackStraw

Yes, It has to be approved but all parties are already in favour. So it sounds like a done deal, as is banning glove pass in the defensive zone. Red line will stay out.

Definitely agree with getting rid of hand passes in the defensive zone. That's just stupid. Are they getting rid of the trapezoid? That's another idiotic rule.

Definitely agree with getting rid of hand passes in the defensive zone. That's just stupid. Are they getting rid of the trapezoid? That's another idiotic rule.

I'd be for that as well. Though I'd be a lot more for it if we had a goalie who could actually handle the puck.