60 Minutes?

Guest AndyS

This is just becomingg an all-too-common scenario with this team.

They just don't play hard for 60 solid minutes/game.

If that is still the case, I'm just not going to expect them to make a run.

Maybe I don't watch the other top teams enough (NYR, Pitt, Det, Nash, etc.), but I don't see them taking entire periods off during games.

Lavy can only make so many fiery speeches that peel the paint off the walls before these guys start tuning him out.

And this just in - it ain't Richards & Carter's fault - they're not here anymore.

Maybe we need a captain after all?

Maybe I don't watch the other top teams enough (NYR, Pitt, Det, Nash, etc.), but I don't see them taking entire periods off during games.

no offense at all intended, but the above is the case. all teams fight that problem. teams will have stretches where they have more of an issue with it than others, and each of the above teams have had those runs this season.

the flyers looked really good for 50 minutes tonight, and for another 9:56 they didn't look bad...they just didn't dominate. and then there were the 4 seconds total that comprised the 4 turnovers leading to goals....

a couple individual boneheaded plays plus an opposing goalie who was feeling it, and the flyers got beat. lessons learned, hopefully, but...i honestly thought it was 98% a good effort tonight. the other 2% killed them, unfortunately. play that game again, minus briere trying to stickhandle as the last guy back and carle not taking his eye off the puck as it comes off the boards, and the flyers take 2 points.

Honestly, it wasn't even a matter of taking a period off, it was a matter of stupid giveaways. Tampa played that goddam trap, dump it out, ice it, take the face off in their own end. I would love to see an offensive zone time comparison because I felt like the entire second and third periods were played in Tampa's end, they weren't even trying to generate offense after it was 1-0.....and then you have that midget St Louis cherry picking for a breakaway goal. This was the most aggravating game i can remember in forever, it was like every game the Flyers played against the stinkin' Devils from 1994 to 2003, on the attack the whole game, make a mistake and it's in the net the other way. Arrrrrgggggghhhhh!!!!

I would love to see an offensive zone time comparison because I felt like the entire second and third periods were played in Tampa's end, they weren't even trying to generate offense after it was 1-0

well, just look at the shot totals. 38-14. when you more than double your opponent in shots, you've taken them to school, possession-wise. like i said above, roloson allowed them to survive that, and they capitalized on the very very few chances they had. it's a really really dangerous way to play the game, because if your goalie isn't completely bailing you out, you got nothing. as tampa's season record shows. sucks that their goalie did, in fact, bail them out tonight, but....lucky them, really.

because if your goalie isn't completely bailing you out, you got nothing. as tampa's season record shows. sucks that their goalie did, in fact, bail them out tonight, but....lucky them, really.

Amazing that Rolo, a guy lugging around an .884 save %, looked like Ken Dryden tonight, but them's the breaks

Amazing that Rolo, a guy lugging around an .884 save %, looked like Ken Dryden tonight, but them's the breaks

yeah. it's one of those things. the guy knows how to play the game. he knows how to position himself, how to move as the puck bounces around, where a shot is likely to go. honestly, half of those saves hit him. half of those pucks happened to go where he put his pad. he knows the percentages; he played the odds and won a lot of coin tosses tonight. that's what a vet who has lost his physical tools still has around. it's why broduer is still effective. sometimes you are going to run into that guy on a night when he's picking the spots. good on him. i don't think there's a lot to read into it, from a flyers perspective. tip your hat to him, you know?

Unfortunately Tampa and that damn Roloson just seem to own us as we still after all these years have trouble handling a trap. Even more concerning to me is this falling behind and 1st period blues. That loss probably killed our chances to catch Pissburgh or NY. So it will be on the road in the 1st round, but I still think this team will give the Tankers a battle.

I know it has nothing to do with sixty mins. of play, but, why the **** do they have to do a little fancy drop pass every ****** time they are in the netural zone just before they cross the blue line on every power play. the sh goal was because of that. oh and the fact briere was not ready for it. It is almost like they think "We are the highest scoring team in the league, all are goals should be highlight real goals. We must score goals and pass like datsyuk."

ok sorry about that. that didt even help my anger towards the game.

no offense at all intended, but the above is the case. all teams fight that problem. teams will have stretches where they have more of an issue with it than others, and each of the above teams have had those runs this season.

the flyers looked really good for 50 minutes tonight, and for another 9:56 they didn't look bad...they just didn't dominate. and then there were the 4 seconds total that comprised the 4 turnovers leading to goals....

a couple individual boneheaded plays plus an opposing goalie who was feeling it, and the flyers got beat. lessons learned, hopefully, but...i honestly thought it was 98% a good effort tonight. the other 2% killed them, unfortunately. play that game again, minus briere trying to stickhandle as the last guy back and carle not taking his eye off the puck as it comes off the boards, and the flyers take 2 points.

No offense taken.

Glad to hear someone say that other top teams do the same thing. (They just never seem to do so while I am watching them.)

well, just look at the shot totals. 38-14. when you more than double your opponent in shots, you've taken them to school, possession-wise. like i said above, roloson allowed them to survive that, and they capitalized on the very very few chances they had. it's a really really dangerous way to play the game, because if your goalie isn't completely bailing you out, you got nothing. as tampa's season record shows. sucks that their goalie did, in fact, bail them out tonight, but....lucky them, really.

My sentiments exactly and, as you correctly note, they won't be going to the playoffs. And, speaking of playing 60 minutes, this rope a dope style of play is so mind numbing that players routinely have trouble doing it period in, period out. It can be effective but not every group is cracked up to play it effectively the entire season.

I also have a theory that the Flyers HATE playing the Bolts because of this style of play. In fact, it is less a theory and more taking what they say at face value. I don't excuse it, but they just don't get into it.

My sentiments exactly and, as you correctly note, they won't be going to the playoffs. And, speaking of playing 60 minutes, this rope a dope style of play is so mind numbing that players routinely have trouble doing it period in, period out. It can be effective but not every group is cracked up to play it effectively the entire season.

I also have a theory that the Flyers HATE playing the Bolts because of this style of play. In fact, it is less a theory and more taking what they say at face value. I don't excuse it, but they just don't get into it.

Well, we know how Lavy feels about it.