Weighing in on why the Sabres did not make it

Guest Miller Time

There is much finger pointing on the Buffalo News and alot of know it alls that know nothing in my opinion. I have stood up for Lindy Ruff and I stand by that firmly. Here is a rock solid statistic that backs my claim that the injuries did us in. the one on Miller by Lucic was huge but just part of the story. When Myers and Erhoff were both on the ice the Sabres were 30-14-3. When one of them was missing they were 9-18-8. Do you think that is just coincidence? No damn way is it. Derrick Roy has become a cancer in the locker room. He even said Lindy should not have said anything publically. Poor Derrick. Being chewed out. Vanek at least accepted his scolding and said it was deserved. Good riddens Roy. Your time here is done. Do you see that door? You are going to be walking out it before Lindy Ruff is. Know that fella!! We barely missed and we are a better team than Washington by light years when healthy. We will cash in our two number ones and make trades. I say Roy and Weber for starts are goners. We will be back and will be in the dance next year. I will lwrite it in blood.

As to your Flyers, good luck. You will need it as Pittsburgh has golden boy and he will get all the calls if you as much as touch him. Bettman sucks. And so does Shanahan. Hey, the Orioles are off to a good start and have a good one two punch with their starters. Their lineup is solid. There is hope. Same for my Bills. Like the song goes. "Ill see you in September".

Hey Rick, I forgot to check the standings ... did the Sabres win the Presidents Trophy this season? I fondly remember you back in the Summer on philly.com repeatedly referring to the Sabres as a "shoe-in" or "favorite" or something or other, to win the Presidents Trophy Just wondering how that went. :huh:

• Like 1

Man, that was a tear! :) Thanks for the luck and i do think Buffalo is/was better than the final out come. I don't buy the injury excuse despite the stats. There were few, if any teams, that suffered more injuries to key players than the Flyers. Really good teams find a way to fight through it. Your injury problems is more about the depth of the organization. Your picks should go a long way to solving that through trades or draft.

Actually, I don't think they are much better than their record. I do think if they were healthy they would have finished with more points than the Southeast teams and thus, snaggged a 7th or 8th seed. However, if you put a healthy Sabres team in the Atlantic, they would finish fifth ... IN THE DIVISION. The Rangers, Pens, Flyers and Devils all proved to be vastly superior teams than the Sabres, healthy or not. We all warned Rick back in July, August, and September that he was overrating the Sabres forward corps by a mile, and the defense corps by whatever the length of an average Kuato post is. Miller was their one trump card that could negate the Sabres glaring deficiencies, and we all see what happened when he didn't play well. Bottomline: They are barely an average team.

@Miller Time

While injuries didn't help your cause, I'd say the Flyers have had to deal with a lot more of them, not to mention half a season of sheer idiocy from Bryzgalov. I don't think your Sabres are as bad as they looked this year. But i also don't think they're as good as you seem to think they are. I'm still a big fan of Myers. I think you guys make it as a 6-8 seed next year. And that Miller should just learn to shut up.

In terms of why the Sabres fell a few points short of the playoffs, you can look at any number of reasons - but they are all reasons that all teams have had to deal with: injuries, unfortunate bounces, cold streaks...

Sabres need more depth scoring to go with what is a fairly solid D and a top flight G (when his game is on).

They have some cap space opening up and some youngsters they can get some production out of so bringing in a guy who isn't Jochen Hecht to provide some extra offense will help a lot. Moving Derek Roy for a productive player who's biggest goal of the season doesn't come in a futile push for the playoffs will also.

Ruff, for me, isn't the problem. People will always point to the coach, but over his tenure - believe it or not - he's had three Conference Finalists and a Cup Finalist at the helm of a team that hasn't spent a ton of money and almost went bankrupt thanks to the shady dealings of their owner.

Over that same span of time - for comparison's sake - the Philadelphia Flyers, one of the teams who have been the top spenders in the league and are committed to "winning a Stanley Cup every year" have been to... three Conference Finals and one Cup Final.

Maybe it's not the coach. At this point, I'd stick with Lindy until he's absolutely lost Pominville, Vanek, Myers and Miller. And that doesn't seem to have happened.