Tonight a Must-Win

Guest SpikeDDS

I was going to post the topic heading as a question, but it is not. Wings must win tonight or they are done. No way they win 3 in a row with 2 being in Nashville. And even if they DID pull that off, I don't know that they'd have enough left in the tank to win the next series, no matter who they would be playing.

Win tonight or set the tee time, boys!

GO WINGS!

@SpikeDDS

Agreed. The best thing they can do is win at least the next two before losing one. The Wings need to pick up momentum. I submit that Nashville would be the most difficult task in the Playoffs. That is not to say that the following opponents would be "easier" but the Wings had a trickier time against the Predators in the regular season than they had with any other opponent in the Conference Playoffs. Projecting on the playoff series so far, they'd have to play L.A, St. Louis, and Chicago/Phoenix. Chicago would give them fits but at least it would be another series in a closer time zone. Detroit has clearly been the better team in the regular season against the other clubs.

@WingNut722

The only team I'd put ahead of the Preds as far as the Wings having difficulty is the Sharks. And, quite frankly, it's almost impossible to compare Eastern Conference teams to our opponents in the West, because we didn't play them enough. 1-2 games isn't enough to say how well you play against another team.

And that's kinda my fear. Let's say the Wings put together 3 of the next 4 tough games. And then let's say they have to face the Sharks. Will they have enough left in the tank to do that and win? I'm doubtful. It;s gonna take their best effort to win 3 of 4 here, especially without Eaves and Helmer.

As an aside, I thought Babcock's post-practice presser yesterday was particularly good. He touches on how much that hurts their team.

http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/

Watch the 4-16 post-practice comments.

the Wings had a trickier time against the Predators in the regular season than they had with any other opponent

Yeah, the Preds match up really well with the Wings. I thought finishing in 4th like they did and getting the Wings was really their best chance at making a run. I'll be cheering for the Wings tonight though. Good luck

@Podein25

Thanks Pods. It should be a fun matchup. If Detroit brings their A-game, this will definintely go to 7 games. I do not forsee Detroit "winning out" against Nashville.

.@SpikeDDS You do mention the Sharks as a tough matchup, but I don't think that will be a concern. St. Louis plays better against the Sharks and I think they'll be able to eliminate them. They were able to pull it out last night at the Shark Tank, so they've already won once on the road. It won't be easy, but I'm confident the Blues will prevail.

@WingNut722

You didn't say "likely opponents" in your statement. I agree chances are their paths will not cross. But if they were to cross, like the Preds--and maybe even more so, as two playoff exits attest--the Sharks match up well or even better against the Wings, because the Wings cannot compete with them physically and still play their game. They have to expend too much energy doing it over the course of a series. One game, they can do it. But in a best of 7, it's much more difficult.

If Detroit is going to win 3 in a row, it'll be much easier for them to start the run tonight in Detroit and finish it in Detroit than trying to do it in games 5-7 doing Nashville-Detroit-Nashville. If they lose tonight, the latter is their only option. Juuuust not likely.

I think it will be very difficult to win a game 7 in Nashville. Unfortunately, if we don't win the next 3, in order to win, that's what we're gonna have to do.

When Datsyuk scored his goal in the final regulation game of the season against Chicago which locked us in as the five seed, I gotta admit I groaned a little bit. I would have much rather played the Coyotes than the Predators, hell I would have much rather played about anyone in the world except the Predators. I dont think it is a stretch to say that with the Canucks likely being put safely to bed by the kings that the winner of the Predators/Wings series is the likely favorite in the west. Nothing against the blues, but I still think the two best teams in the west are playing against each other tonite.