JvR ready to play Game 5

Guest PHI Flyers10

http://www.csnphilly...2646&feedID=704

VOORHEES, N.J. -- James van Riemsdyk is itching to get into this Eastern Conference quarterfinal series. He says he can play.

Whether coach Peter Laviolette scratches that itch, by inserting the forward into the lineup for Game 5 in Pittsburgh with the Flyers needing one win to oust the Penguins, is another thing.

Outward appearances from Thursday’s practice would suggest JVR is a player for Game 5.

“I feel a little better every day,” said JVR, who is rehabbing off a fractured left foot. “It’s status quo every day. You have to deal with it.

“This is the time of year, no matter what, when your number is called, you suck it up and you deal with it. Obviously, you’d be crazy not to want to play.”

Laviolette said he’s not adverse to making lineup changes in this series if he has to.

“I thought James looked good today and … looks better every day,” Laviolette said. “At some point we’ll make that decision.”

Is he healthy enough to help the Flyers right now?

“Through discussions with everyone involved, when he’s ready to play, we’ll consider playing him,” Laviolette replied.

JVR worked with Matt Read and Jakub Voracek in Thursday’s practice, an indication of a lineup change, especially since Zac Rinaldo was with Tommy Sestito and call-up Matt Ford on a "scratch" line.

Then again, Laviolette may have made that switch in case Rinaldo would be suspended for his antics at the end of the second period on Wednesday (see story). Rinaldo, however, according to a league source, will not be suspended for his ejection, cross-checking, etc.

JVR wore plastic shells over both skates to protect him from shots. He broke his foot blocking one. You often see these shells on penalty killers.

“If that is what it takes to get me on the ice, then I will gladly wear them,” JVR said.

Van Riemsdyk, who had a poor regular season because of numerous injuries, more or less came into his own last season with three goals during the playoff's second round against Boston. He can have an impact off the bench.

“I’ve always prided myself on that -- I love playing in these type of pressure situations,” he said. “Last year I was given the opportunity to play a lot and contribute a lot.

“I just ran with it and went from there. It’s a fun time of the year to play and it sucks to be watching from the sidelines.”

Let him play. He can take Rinaldo's spot.

Edited by PHI Flyers10

Agreed, in for Rinaldo, but only 4th line. If he has his wheels, maybe PP point as well. Limit the ice time.

By the way, as I have never played ice hockey, is there a loss of mobility by wearing those skate shields? Any drawbacks other than probably looking stupid?

EDIT: Sestito is healthy?

Edited by doom88

Agreed, in for Rinaldo, but only 4th line. If he has his wheels, maybe PP point as well. Limit the ice time.

By the way, as I have never played ice hockey, is there a loss of mobility by wearing those skate shields? Any drawbacks other than probably looking stupid?

EDIT: Sestito is healthy?

I never had to wear them but I'd imagine they'd weigh you down a bit more. My skates are really light so I'm sure his probably are too. It'll probably fatigue him a bit and slow him down.

nah there's no weight to them. I'm assuming they're just the regular skate fenders - though I don't know for sure. But they're light, you don't even know you have them on - other than they can look stupid as hell if the colors are off.

nah there's no weight to them. I'm assuming they're just the regular skate fenders - though I don't know for sure. But they're light, you don't even know you have them on - other than they can look stupid as hell if the colors are off.

That's good. I've never seen them besides the ones on goalie skates. Let JvR play.

Frankly I think I'd try to win G5 without the services of the Giant Question Mark known as JVR.

Or, let me put it this way, if he's raring to go, chomping at the bit, he's 100% and you (as HC) get a real good feeling about him...okay, play him. But if there's ANY doubt, any question as to his readiness - but more importantly his eagerness to play I would wait and see what happens in G5 first. We don't need him to win, we just need a goalie who can catch a beachball - instead of swatting at it like a girl. And a TEAM the plays DEFENSE.

• Like 1