Jagr going to test the water

Guest The Quigster

I"m not sure Andrew Engelage is signed by the Leafs next year, but I'd love for the Flyers to invite him to camp if he's not signed. Here we have a 6'5 208 pound goalie who won the Memorial Cup twice. 4 time OHL player of the week, 1 time AHL player of the week....he does have flaws but damn, this guy is solid with a good defense in front of him. What a great depth move this would be.

Some guys are really comfortable in their own skin and exude the confidence needed to pick up and start fresh in a new city. I'm sure thousands of players have re-signed from fear of the unknown....and lack the self belief to pull off such a daring move. Simply put, some people don't like change, fight against it, and settle for a less than stellar present day situaltion rather than explore the unknown of the a strange organization or city.

I think it's situational in many cases. I know my example is hardly appropriate when compared to athletes, but I know i will switch jobs in a heartbeat if 1) my old job becomes sickening and 2) I have a decent information about the place I am going to. That said, I would switch jobs as a last resort, especially if I have been at that place for a good number of years, am treated well, and just feel comfortable. Money matters (no doubt), but not the most important - at least from my perspective. You come to a new place and you need to start proving yourself all over again.

I would think Parise is very comfortable in NJ. He plays a key role on that team, seems to have respect of his teammates, and like you mentioned, I am sure his family situaiton is not the least important. And Jersey somehow (not even sure how) seems to be in a position to do well next year. Of course, if Brodeur retires that can change rather quickly. He comes to the Flyers, the coaches suddenly need to find the right chemistry and place for him. Even assuming they don't resign Jagr, the Flyers are still loaded in the forward position. I think the player of Parise caliber will fit, but that's not given, while in NJ he fits in perfectly.

I just think all these factors are important when a player hits free agency.

According to TSN Jagr is going to free agency July 1!

According to TSN Jagr is going to free agency July 1!

Let him walk. Mentoring is good. But the dough is better spent elsewhere. We need help on D. Who the heck knows about the CBA?

Best,

Howie