Jagr going to test the water

Guest The Quigster

i like what he brought to the table , he was such a good mentor, hopefully the lessons stick, but agree that that amount of money could be spent on defensive help or finding claude a forever friend on for his other wing.

That shows you Holmgren has a plan, you know if the Flyers offered him the same as last year she would take it,so it's obvious we are keeping our options open and keeping money freed up.So maybe we are taking a run at Parise or Nash

This makes sense. Like others have said, the money is needed elsewhere, we need upgrades on defense and back up tender. Of course, this is the same site that gave the initial info for my "Report : Jagr to sign" thread so I'm taking it with a grain of salt....although this story has an actual quote from Jagr.

This gives me a bit more faith in Homer. I believe it's time to let the kids (who have proven themselves as legit NHLer's) move up the lines and let nature take it's course. Lord knows, we will have no spots for D-men or Goalies who have a great camp....it's refreshing to not see them load up with 12 forwards with no room for kids to break in....at least we will have that to some extent at forward. This solidifies a roster spot for Harry Z or Rinaldo (at least on paper, for the short term future as it were) and I like what these guys bring. I'm a big fan of Harry Z, wanna see what he can do with a full time role, I believe we have a real diamond in the rough with Harry.

It's just really frustrating for me when every concievable roster spot is spoken for. I realize they must fill most of the roster before hand, if all the good players are taken you're s**t out of luck....but damn, let there be at least one roster spot up for grabs...lol. For instance, I can guarantee if Bourdon has an outstanding camp next fall, he wil still be sent down, signs of the times I guess.

Edit, and yes, I realize Read impressed and made the team out of camp, but that is the exception, not the rule....defense and goalies...they don't have a legit shot.

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1

This makes sense. Like others have said, the money is needed elsewhere, we need upgrades on defense and back up tender. Of course, this is the same site that gave the initial info for my "Report : Jagr to sign" thread so I'm taking it with a grain of salt....although this story has an actual quote from Jagr.

This gives me a bit more faith in Homer. I believe it's time to let the kids (who have proven themselves as legit NHLer's) move up the lines and let nature take it's course. Lord knows, we will have no spots for D-men or Goalies who have a great camp....it's refreshing to not see them load up with 12 forwards with no room for kids to break in....at least we will have that to some extent at forward. This solidifies a roster spot for Harry Z or Rinaldo (at least on paper, for the short term future as it were) and I like what these guys bring. I'm a big fan of Harry Z, wanna see what he can do with a full time role, I believe we have a real diamond in the rough with Harry.

It's just really frustrating for me when every concievable roster spot is spoken for. I realize they must fill most of the roster before hand, if all the good players are taken you're s**t out of luck....but damn, let there be at least one roster spot up for grabs...lol. For instance, I can guarantee if Bourdon has an outstanding camp next fall, he wil still be sent down, signs of the times I guess.

Edit, and yes, I realize Read impressed and made the team out of camp, but that is the exception, not the rule....defense and goalies...they don't have a legit shot.

I would also like to see what Harry Z can do with a full time roster spot. I would also like to see what Wellwood can do with a full time roster spot also. The speed those two guys bring to the table is awesome, along with Read.
  • Like 1

For instance, I can guarantee if Bourdon has an outstanding camp next fall, he wil still be sent down, signs of the times I guess.

Why are you so sure about Bourdon? If we get Carle back and Mez is healthy that leaves basically what we had last year minus Kubina who I guess we're not bringing back. Pronger's still out so that leaves 7 spots with MAB in....doesn't it?

I guess that leaves Bourdon with the 7th spot, but mark my words, Homer will acquire another veteran defenseman to squeeze out the youngster....it's guaranteed. I understand why he does it, you have to anticiapte injuries so you don't get caught with your pants down...but it does frustrate me. The old saying applies, you can never have enough experienced defensemen. I just really like what Bourdon brings to the table, and for him to grow and mature as a player, it should be at the NHL level. He's reached that point I believe.

I guess that leaves Bourdon with the 7th spot, but mark my words, Homer will acquire another veteran defenseman to squeeze out the youngster....it's guaranteed. I understand why he does it, you have to anticiapte injuries so you don't get caught with your pants down...but it does frustrate me. The old saying applies, you can never have enough experienced defensemen. I just really like what Bourdon brings to the table, and for him to grow and mature as a player, it should be at the NHL level. He's reached that point I believe.

Agreed on all points. I do think he needs top four ice time at this point though.

To me this says that Homer wasn't going to give him the $3.3M he got this season.

If Detroit wants to outbid the Flyers, go for it. I have a feeling if Svoboda comes to the Flyers and says "Detroit offered $X" Homer will say "enjoy Detroit."

I would also like to see what Harry Z can do with a full time roster spot. I would also like to see what Wellwood can do with a full time roster spot also. The speed those two guys bring to the table is awesome, along with Read.

I really like Wellwood and think he has potential to be a nice 2nd line left wing (center spots are taken for the minutes he would need). Harry Z is a nice energy player. But to me he is reckless. He reminds me a bit of Powe mixed with Cirello.

Wow really? That's interesting. I don't get that impression at all (about Harry Z). I really like him. To me his deficiencies (or "recklessness") all stem from his youth and inexperience. I think I know what you mean though. For example when he comes flying into the O zone with the puck and has no plan for what to do - maybe that is "reckless." I see it as inexperience and I'm betting he gets much better at all of that as he gets more NHL ice time - ie. decision-making with and w/out the puck, using his line mates, waiting for the play to develop instead of rushing pell-mell into the D...etc.

@Jam - ah of course, I didn't allow for any new defensive help, which practically everyone says we need. But it wouldn't surprise me too much if Homer stood pat this summer (for once). I really like the Flyers' rosters "as is" right now - all except for the flake in net that is.

There's a story today on philly.com that suggests Homer feels the same way (about liking the team "as is"). We'll see...

For instance, I can guarantee if Bourdon has an outstanding camp next fall, he wil still be sent down, signs of the times I guess.

I don't see the certainty either @jammer2. Bourdon exceeded expectations and looked very good indeed at times. Apparently this came after he finally got himself into shape for the first time in his life. I think they will want to reward that. In short, I hope you are wrong. :)

I've argued from the start Jagr will go where the money is. It's just always been him.

While he is the "rich shopper" i also think his role on the team needs factored into the equation when you're talking about him. IMO the Flyers brain trust want to see these young guys get more ice time , if jagr still wants those top minutes too, there's a problem... so yeah he likes the cash money but i also think he wants to make an impact and feels he can't do it with 3rd line talent around him and 2nd unit PP time, which is "a" reason he passed on the Pens last year and is skipping on the Flyers this year. He doesn't "need" the money.

Wow really? That's interesting. I don't get that impression at all (about Harry Z). I really like him. To me his deficiencies (or "recklessness") all stem from his youth and inexperience. I think I know what you mean though. For example when he comes flying into the O zone with the puck and has no plan for what to do - maybe that is "reckless." I see it as inexperience and I'm betting he gets much better at all of that as he gets more NHL ice time - ie. decision-making with and w/out the puck, using his line mates, waiting for the play to develop instead of rushing pell-mell into the D...etc.

@Jam - ah of course, I didn't allow for any new defensive help, which practically everyone says we need. But it wouldn't surprise me too much if Homer stood pat this summer (for once). I really like the Flyers' rosters "as is" right now - all except for the flake in net that is.

There's a story today on philly.com that suggests Homer feels the same way (about liking the team "as is"). We'll see...

I agree Canoli I think Harry Z is not reckless at all but a very good agitater who can still play within the rules of the nhl and not get penalized and his speed will make him that more of a ball breaker for teams, great 4th line guy for now and maybe more in the future. This team is freakishly fast and maybe letting Jagr walk will help make it even more so.

I liked MAB as well. I really enjoyed his compete level, especially early on. Unfortunately though he didn't really seem to be the same after:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/108123

hopefully this season he really makes some strides because i did like his game

@mojo1917

I agree that he probably doesn't need the money; however, I have a little issue with giving him 1st line minutes and PP unit 1 time all year. Most of the year fine, but not all year. At some point Voracek is going to have to step into that 1st line role.

In any case, we shall see next week what his "true" plans are.

• Like 1

It was a great season with Jagr, but it is also apparent that he faded bad by the end of the season and we could use the $ going after Parise - because that is who Homer is after most (according to Pang, Morganti, Jones).

While he is the "rich shopper" i also think his role on the team needs factored into the equation when you're talking about him. IMO the Flyers brain trust want to see these young guys get more ice time , if jagr still wants those top minutes too, there's a problem... so yeah he likes the cash money but i also think he wants to make an impact and feels he can't do it with 3rd line talent around him and 2nd unit PP time, which is "a" reason he passed on the Pens last year and is skipping on the Flyers this year. He doesn't "need" the money.

You're right in that Jagr has always wanted to be "the man" and until the past few years he deserved to be. But I think that's just another side of bolstering his ego. He's tame compared to how he once was though!

It was a great season with Jagr, but it is also apparent that he faded bad by the end of the season and we could use the $ going after Parise - because that is who Homer is after most (according to Pang, Morganti, Jones).

First, Parise needs to want to leave NJ and come here.

Second, improving the D is the team's priority and it's hard to do that *and* spend money on someone like Parise without shedding some significant salaries.

Of course, there is always an option of overhauling the team, which is nothing new to Homer. lol

First, Parise needs to want to leave NJ and come here.

the financial woes of that team could be a large factor here, do you sign a mega money, mega year deal with a team that may or may not be sold, solvent, or moved? ...with the Flyers, they aren't going anywhere, have fans, are not a huge move physically & there's always...pst zach you wanna play on claude's wing ? you'll get 40 for the length of the deal....wink wink nudge nudge.

I can talk myself into seeing as where Parise would come to Philadelphia.

@mojo1917

I am not sure if players really think that deep when it comes ot making a decision whether they want to resign with their old team or go somewhere else. He's been with that one team since he was drafted. I would think stability would enter into the equation. Better or worse, he knows what to expect and as recently as one week ago, the team he played on was within 2 games of winning the Cup, whereas coming to Philadelphia he has NO idea what to expect.

@Mad Dog Honestly MD, I've thought a lot about why a player would choose to go UFA. The first and obvious is money, the playing careers are shorter than ever and some of these guys would be useless to socieity if not lacing up skates, so the money crunch to supply not only yourself, but your family, your immediate family and maybe even entourage/friends if you are making some bad decisons on who you choose to spend your time away from hockey with.

Some guys are really comfortable in their own skin and exude the confidence needed to pick up and start fresh in a new city. I'm sure thousands of players have re-signed from fear of the unknown....and lack the self belief to pull off such a daring move. Simply put, some people don't like change, fight against it, and settle for a less than stellar present day situaltion rather than explore the unknown of the a strange organization or city.

I'm sure the wife and kids play a huge role, is a youngster at a crucial point in their education process (ie one year away from graduation) where a move could be damaging career wise or their formation as young adults.....lot's of stuff to consider.