Standings

Guest Claude Monet

who actually thought the Flyers would be atop the conference this deep into the season?

minus three turns overs that led to goals, they appeared to play a solid game based off the highlites. I was worried about Bob giving up three goals on twenty shots but all three were basically breakaways or odd man rushes. He made some very nice saves tonight and Vorocek was had two sweet assists. Nice to see him get going.

Giroux is unreal

I'm very surprised. I thought that with all the roster turnover, it would take about a quarter season to get going, but a lot of these guys found chemistry pretty quickly.

The only thing that worries me is that we give up a lot of goals. Not so much a problem in October, but let's see if they can tighten up defensively as the season goes on.

The only thing that worries me is that we give up a lot of goals. Not so much a problem in October, but let's see if they can tighten up defensively as the season goes on.

That's exactly my thinking that goes back to sloppy play in our own end trying to get the puck out or being too cute in the neutral zone. It seems they become a different team once they have the lead and get "lazy" with their play. I'm not saying the effort isn't there, I'm saying the passing and crisp flow seems to be lost a little which is why they end up letting in a few bad goals.

If they can get the five on five defense looking as good as the PK that will be excellent .

That's a good point. I think the difference comes down to perception. On the PK, they're not looking for offense necessarily unless the opportunity presents itself. They're 'thinking' defense.

When 5 on 5, they're thinking transition as soon as they get the puck, which I think causes some of the sloppiness. They need to think 'protect our zone' first.

Last year the short handed goal was the object of their affection and they were good at it. Personnel on this team look like they are getting closer to that objective.

More defense near the end of periods is needed. nothing like a goal inside of the last second or minutes to give the opposition motivation for the next period.

Clement said." more defensive minded is needed they are getting the goals. two goals is enough to win the game." I don't completely agree. in this NHL three goals is not a good lead it is just a good start.

When 5 on 5, they're thinking transition as soon as they get the puck, which I think causes some of the sloppiness. They need to think 'protect our zone' first. """''''''

I believe you hit the old nail right on the head there.

When 5 on 5, they're thinking transition as soon as they get the puck, which I think causes some of the sloppiness. They need to think 'protect our zone' first. """''''''

I believe you hit the old nail right on the head there.

I think the problems are largely mental and can be corrected. Limit the no look passes, especially across the top of the offensive zone and to the top of the defensive zone from the corners.

Also, use your teammates wisely. You don't have to do it all, and if you try and fail, the other team has an odd man rush. Play smart.

Finally, keep your sticks on the ice. You can't get called for hooking and high sticking if your tape is on the ice looking for a pass.

I'm very surprised. I thought that with all the roster turnover, it would take about a quarter season to get going, but a lot of these guys found chemistry pretty quickly.

I'm very surprised as well. For whatever the reason, never did I think this team would enjoy the success that it's had so far, nor did I expect them to be this fun to watch. The apparent energy that is back in this team has be the most pleasant surprise to me.

The number goals given up it hard to look beyond, especially since we targeted that position with the highest priority this off season and appeared to have had it covered. The other thing regarding goals against is the alarming number of goals scored with just seconds to spare, or just under a minute or so in periods. When you can't close out an otherwise strong period without letting in a crapper is frustrating. I wish there was a way to look it up quick without looking at every box score but it certainly feels like we've given up way more end of period goals than would be desired (as if giving up any goal is desirable)