SHARKS' HAVLAT: 'WE'RE JUST PIECES OF MEAT

Irishjim

havlat_640_640.gif

Luke Fox | September 24, 2012, 12:12 pm

Twitter @lukefoxjukebox

For as much noise as Detroit Red Wings senior VP Jim Devellano made by referring to the NHL players as “cattle” in an interview last week with the Island Sports News, San Jose Sharks forward Martin Havlat says he’s heard much worse from NHL brass.

The San Jose Sharks forward responded to Devellano’s comments through his agent, Allan Walsh, who relayed his client’s words through Twitter on Sunday.

"The comments made by Devellano are nothing new. The players know that’s how (commissioner Gary) Bettman and some of the owners think.

“We’re not shocked at being called ‘cattle,’ ” Havlat, 31, said. “I can tell you the players have been called a lot worse by some of the guys on the other side. It’s just never been reported publicly. I think it helps that the fans get to hear what we already know. We’re not humans in their eyes; we’re just pieces of meat that get to eat some grass for awhile.”

Havlat’s response extended the controversial metaphor made by Devellano that cost the Red Wings a fine from the league.

“It’s very complicated and way too much for the average Joe to understand, but having said that, I will tell you this: The owners can basically be viewed as the Ranch, and the players, and me included, are the cattle,” Devellano told Island Sports News last week. “The owners own the Ranch and allow the players to eat there. That’s the way its always been and that the way it will be forever. And the owners simply aren’t going to let a union push them around. It’s not going to happen.”

Havlat's current six-year contract with the Sharks, which pays him an average of $5 million per season, expires at the end of the 2014-15 season.

A Czech native, Havlat has not committed to playing overseas during the lockout, but according to an email Walsh sent to CSNCalifornia.com, “all options are on the table” for the veteran winger.

No way! I'd rather encourage him to spout off more and watch things *really* get interesting and entertaining. :D

Absolutly! I think if we can get 1 idiot from each team to spout of then this would be awesomely entertaining. And at 250K per fine then that equals 7.5 million in the league fund for the rock of a franchise in Arizona...

So, as far as Havlat saying he is meat then that makes him "shark meat"....

And at 250K per fine then that equals 7.5 million in the league fund for the rock of a franchise in Arizona...

I like what you did there...

In all honesty though, the thought of having someone from each team spouting off this kind of stuff really would be entertaining, not to mention revealing.

I like what you did there...

In all honesty though, the thought of having someone from each team spouting off this kind of stuff really would be entertaining, not to mention revealing.

You can't ask anymore than that. Entertaining AND revealing! Think Devellano x29 more frustrated ownership groups all accusing each other of collusion, rippin on players and offer sheets being thrown around like paper airplanes. And all 30 giving it to Bettman when they toss his arse out of office... Priceless. The best part, Bettman kinda owns the Coyotes so it would be 29-1 to fire him! Unless the dumb ass actually looks after the team like he supposed to then he'd have to vote against himself...