Boogaard's Family Sues NHL

Guest canoli

There has to be some accountability for the physicians, pharmacists and insurance as well.

Absolutely! All I'm seeing in Booagaard's case is a lot of drug pushers with medical degrees.

JR

From the age of 16, until the his death at 28, Boogaard was in 184 hockey fights (I don't know about any he may have had away from the rink). At 16, he had 34 fights alone, many against 20 year olds as he was trying to make a name for himself. In short, he was severely brain inured, and was looking at life in an senior's hospice being spoon fed at 40 years old.

People with those sorts of brain injuries aren't famous for their ability to make sound life decisions.

JR

So true. From list of drugs he was taking, he had a serious disreguard for life in general. Being a young millionaire thats addicted to 10 or so different drugs is not exactly a recipe for longevity or a quality life. Not sure where he died, but I suspect it was a Kordic type of death, alone in a hotel room. It's sad really. I hope and pray his family gets paid for the obvious negligence on the part of many parties involved with Boogs. It's the least they could do, considering the pain and suffering they went through. Plus, when multi million dollar law suits get paid out, it has a tendancy to re-write the rules, so it could potentially save others in the same spot.

Edited by hf101
fixed quote

Not sure where he died, but I suspect it was a Kordic type of death, alone in a hotel room.

not exactly, most say the death was accidental, yet still, too much alcohol and oxycodone. Boogaard was to be meeting up with his brothers for a reunion. Aaron Boogaard found his brother's body when he returned home after picking up another brother at the airport.

Not related specifically to Derek Boogaard, but appropriate to the conversation:

Injuries from Teen Fighting Deal a Blow to IQ

A new Florida State University study has found that adolescent boys who are hurt in just two physical fights suffer a loss in IQ that is roughly equivalent to missing an entire year of school. Girls experience a similar loss of IQ after only a single fighting-related injury.

The findings are significant because decreases in IQ are associated with lower educational achievement and occupational performance, mental disorders, behavioral problems and even longevity, the researchers said.

... The researchers found that each fighting-related injury resulted in a loss of 1.62 IQ points for boys, while girls lost an average of 3.02 IQ points, even after controlling for changes in socio-economic status, age and race for both genders. Previous studies have indicated that missing a single year of school is associated with a loss of 2 to 4 IQ points.

The impact on IQ may be even greater when considering only head injuries, the researchers said. The data they studied took into account all fighting-related physical injuries.

http://www.universityherald.com/articles/4114/20130803/injuries-teen-fighting-deal-blow-iq.htm

For the sake of saying it, Derek Boogaard had 34 fights just when he was 16... Just think of the damage which was done to his brain during this period.

JR