Brooks Orpik

Guest mojo1917

I know Letang is the Norris candidate and has great hair and all that, but I think that Brooks Orpik is the best defenseman on the team.

I watched only two periods of game one vs the Senators and saw him make at least 6 plays that limited Sens scoring chances and helped to take the heat off Vokun, Especially in the 2nd, Orpik was breaking up passes, lifting sticks and riding guys out of the crease when the Senators were buzzing. In short he was playing defense and was highly effective doing so.

Now Kris Letang on the other hand made 4 or 5 lazy ? stupid ? maybe those are too harsh , how about unengaged plays in his own zone that prolonged the Sens time on offense or led to scoring chances , at least some shots from good spots on the ice.

I think Ottawa's coaches and players realize whom they need to wear down with their forecheck and it is #44, they repeatedly made an extra effort to hit Orpik on their dump-ins and engaged him with after the whistle crap. It seems they think if he's rendered ineffective , via fatigue or whatever they'll have a better chance to make plays in the Penguins zone.

I know Letang is the Norris candidate and has great hair and all that, but I think that Brooks Orpik is the best defenseman on the team.

I watched only two periods of game one vs the Senators and saw him make at least 6 plays that limited Sens scoring chances and helped to take the heat off Vokun, Especially in the 2nd, Orpik was breaking up passes, lifting sticks and riding guys out of the crease when the Senators were buzzing. In short he was playing defense and was highly effective doing so.

Now Kris Letang on the other hand made 4 or 5 lazy ? stupid ? maybe those are too harsh , how about unengaged plays in his own zone that prolonged the Sens time on offense or led to scoring chances , at least some shots from good spots on the ice.

I think Ottawa's coaches and players realize whom they need to wear down with their forecheck and it is #44, they repeatedly made an extra effort to hit Orpik on their dump-ins and engaged him with after the whistle crap. It seems they think if he's rendered ineffective , via fatigue or whatever they'll have a better chance to make plays in the Penguins zone.

At the trade deadline, I don't think many in the 'burgh would have been sorry to see Brooksy go. Really, the season he was having was soooo bad. Those bad decisions and soft passes, that was him. And no your terminology was correct. There was at least one case that I screamed at the TV when Letang tossed a softy directly to Ottawa's point up the middle for a shot. Add to that the fact that he had lost his phisical edge.

Maybe its the fact that its playoff time, and he's cranked up his game, but the rest of the year, meh. The way he played last night, with the physical shots like he layed on Gryba, and he's no lightweight, and the defensive play, and we would like to know who this new Brooks Orpik is and welcome him to the team.

Edited by nossagog

More like welcome him back. He took a shot off the foot half way through the season and vanished. I think he had an undisclosed injury. I live Brooks, but he wasn't Brooks anymore. He seems to be back.

I've felt Letang had a strong series against the Islanders at both ends of the ice. Guys of his prowess are going to make the occasional turnover, but he was excellent against the Isles. Last night it seemed he had his offensive wheels moving, but his defense was absent.

Letang and Orpik were the top pairing in the cup years. Was good to see them skate together so much last night.

I've felt Letang had a strong series against the Islanders at both ends of the ice

He's such a good skater he can make up for bad positioning, or missing a hit (he's cooled out on trying to make the big hit this year ) that's a nice luxury to be able to turn on the jets to cover his mistakes... especially off the rush. I don't think he's near as good in his own zone as Orpik and I think the Sens think that too , they didn't try to body up on 58 like they did 44, could be they couldn't catch 58 to hit him , but I think it's part of the game plan to wear 44 down.

He's such a good skater he can make up for bad positioning, or missing a hit (he's cooled out on trying to make the big hit this year ) that's a nice luxury to be able to turn on the jets to cover his mistakes... especially off the rush. I don't think he's near as good in his own zone as Orpik and I think the Sens think that too , they didn't try to body up on 58 like they did 44, could be they couldn't catch 58 to hit him , but I think it's part of the game plan to wear 44 down.

I agree. Letang does take chances but when he fails he gets back very well to cover. Orpik is the stay at home guy there.

Edited by Polaris922