Loui eriksson- trade target

Guest yave1964

Loui Eriksson is going to be on the block this summer, that is an undisputed fact. New General Manager Jim Nill is taking over a team that is consistently a also ran, a club that has multi holes to fill. One of the easiest ways to fill holes is to do a two for one deal to acquire the talent necessary to fill the holes.

The Stars are comfortable with their goaltending, they need help at center and are desperate for help along the blue line. Eriksson is an amazing talent on the Wing, as talented a player as there is in the game, smooth skating, doesn't like the physical side but can find an opening on the ice like nobodies business. The problem is Jamie Benn has supplanted him as the post Modano face of the franchise and the two of them are the only real marketable pieces right now.

The center position is a mess, the defense is indefensible, they do have some young pieces in place but growing pains and the fact that they are B and C prospects for the most part. Trading Eriksson to acquire a top six or nine center and a top four defensemen is really the best bet for this club to become relevant right now.

Here are a few options as I see them:

To the Flyers for the Schenn boys. Eriksson would become a top line forward, Luke Schenn could be replaced by a free agent.

To the Red Wings for Brendan Smith and Gustav Nyquist. Nill has the Detroit connection, Smith would move in to Dallas and play with his brother Reilly Smith, Nyquist is a top six center waiting to happen whose playmaking ability could set up Benn nicely. Both Smith and Nyquist were pet projects of Nill. And lets not forget the Swedish connection with the Wings.

To the Chicago Blackhawks for Andrew Shaw and Nick Leddy. Chicago is deep and needs to start worrying about a replacement for the aging Sharp and Hossa,

These are just some of the options as I see them. The one option I don't see is him being a Star beyond the first week of July. Where do you see him going and for who?

To the flyers for the "Schenn BOYS"? Surely your kidding

That is fine if you want to denigrate Eriksson, he is one of the top wingers in the game playing in relative obscurity in Dallas. In the right market he would be a star of the first order...

That is fine if you want to denigrate Eriksson, he is one of the top wingers in the game playing in relative obscurity in Dallas. In the right market he would be a star of the first order...

Denigrate? You want, Arguably, the Flyers best defenseman, who's young, AND his brother for a guy that isn't whats needed. That doesnt make sense considering the Flyers defense sucks now

I get what you are saying, Philly could use Eriksson but likely cannot afford the price it would require to get him. But Loui is gonna find a new home next year, not counting this joke of a shortened season he has averaged 30 goals and 70 points over four seasons with a bad club, and he is still only 28 years old next year.

I understand what you are saying with the Schenns, I personally am not a huge fan of either. But you are right, the Flyers cannot afford to thin out their blue line any more.

@yave1964

I'm really not getting why Ericksson won't be a Star next season. 4.2M for a first line LW is a deal imo for the next 3 years. Benn is a center so why does it have to be Benn or Ericksson? Why can't they play on the same line? That would be like saying since Zetterberg is now captaining the Redwings they need to trade Datsyuk. Or the Flyers need to trade Voracek since Giroux is the new face of the franchise.

I agree that they need some depth at center. There will be some options available on the FA market.

So unless there is an inhouse issue, I'm not really seeing the need for the Stars to trade away Ericksson.

From what I have read the Stars are so thin everywhere else they are looking to fill multiple holes by trading Eriksson, if the trade offer is right. That is not to say he will be traded with certainty, but he will be on the block and will be traded if the right offer comes along. The most recent rumor I have read is the Islanders plan on making an offer, Michael Grabner and prospect Strom being mentioned.

@yave1964 I realize Loui is a top flight winger and all, but if I'm the Isles, no way, no how do I get rid of Strome, who will be better than Loui once he gets used to the NHL, Stome is real close to can't miss in my mind, and giving away Grabner.....when the Isles are finally getting respectable secondary scoring, not to mention Grabs is their top pk guy, to much to give up from a Isles perspective. Ditto for the Flyers, our defense already sucks, and Luke can be counted on (for the most part) in the defensive zone, also way to early to give up on his brother. The Flyer deal makes more sense than the Isles offer, realize you gotta give to get, and Loui's production and cap hit are tempting, but I'd pass from a Flyers and Isles perspective.

The emergence of Nyguist in the playoffs coupled with Smiths all round game would also make it unlikely the Wings jump at this deal, just to much to give up.