Couturier already one of the elite defensive centers in NHL?

brelic

This article gives a nice little breakdown of Couturier's minutes, linemates, and role on the ice to argue that he's already one of the elite defensive centers in the league.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/2/26/4032650/sean-couturier-stats-defense-flyers

Sean Couturier is taking on the toughest minutes a coach can dole out. He's facing the opponents' top lines every night (he ranks 18th in the league in Corsi Rel QoC, which correlates pretty strongly with the quality of opposing forwards faced). He's starting in the defensive zone an awful lot (he ranks 27th in defensive zone starts).

And with all due respect to Max Talbot and Mike Knuble (his most common linemates), he's not getting top-tier wingers who drive play -- they both spent most of the last five years on strong teams and got outshot more often than not.

And yet so far this year, even in those really tough minutes, the Flyers are outshooting their opponents when Couturier is on the ice.

I went looking to see how rare an accomplishment this would be if he kept it up for the full season. In the last five years, only five forwards have had a positive shot differential with a Corsi Rel QoC of at least 0.7 and at least 60 percent defensive zone starts. That list doesn't include Mike Richards, whose amazing 2008-09 season came with just under 60 percent zone starts and a slightly negative shot differential.

Meltzer also posted a nice article putting Couturier's [apparent] regression in context.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Couturiers-Development-and-Future-Potential/45/52052#.Ubh6Iue1F8E

This is why he has a very high trade value. I don't want to get rid of him. I'd much rather we hang on to him, and see him develop into a mini-Datsyuk... ok, maybe that's a stretch. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he turned out to be like Ryan Kesler.

BUT... Homer screwed us with contracts that have the perfect trifecta of bad contracts - bad AAV, bad length, and NMC/NTC. And he also failed to draft defensemen and goaltenders.

But we already know this, right??

Who would you rather give up between Brayden Schenn and Couturier? Tough call, but I think having Luke here means Brayden gets a little extra security in trade talks... at least for the time being.

I don't want to get rid of him. I'd much rather we hang on to him, and see him develop into a mini-Datsyuk... ok, maybe that's a stretch. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he turned out to be like Ryan Kesler.

Agreed - if Homer gives this kid away or trades him in some stupid deal that brings another aging, overpriced D-man I'm going to be upset. But wait, Couturier had a tough season, he really struggled out there. So what. Welcome to the 2013 Flyers. So did everyone else besides Simmonds and Rinaldo, a few flashes of brilliance from different guys here and there...and Mason looked great at the end. But let's face it it was a b.s. year. As far as evaluating players I say we just erase it from memory and move on. Seriously. Too much dumbshit happened and when the season finally got going in January you could see it - you could smell it - none of the Flyers really gave a damn about winning anything this year. Maybe that's unprofessional, maybe it's inexcusable. But it is what happened (at least, it sure looks like that's what happened).

Erasing this past year Couturier is our best young forward. He's got skating issues and confidence issues - big deal. Both can be improved tremendously by working with him over the next couple years. Another Datsyuk? Who knows? That's a ridiculously high mark to shoot for but Sean Couturier has the potential to be that type of marquee player imo. I hope he accomplishes it wearing the O&B.

• Like 1

This article gives a nice little breakdown of Couturier's minutes, linemates, and role on the ice to argue that he's already one of the elite defensive centers in the league.

http://www.broadstre...-defense-flyers

Meltzer also posted a nice article putting Couturier's [apparent] regression in context.

http://www.hockeybuz...52#.Ubh6Iue1F8E

This is why he has a very high trade value. I don't want to get rid of him. I'd much rather we hang on to him, and see him develop into a mini-Datsyuk... ok, maybe that's a stretch. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he turned out to be like Ryan Kesler.

BUT... Homer screwed us with contracts that have the perfect trifecta of bad contracts - bad AAV, bad length, and NMC/NTC. And he also failed to draft defensemen and goaltenders.

But we already know this, right??

Who would you rather give up between Brayden Schenn and Couturier? Tough call, but I think having Luke here means Brayden gets a little extra security in trade talks... at least for the time being.

We wouldn't have to give up either if Holmgren would stop overpaying guys who's best days are behind them. What the hells wrong with building a team with UP AND COMING players?

Try it Homey. Just once.

• Like 4