Colorado talking to Sabres about trading top pick

Buffalo Rick

The Sabres currently have the 8 and 16 picks in the first round. It is out that Colorado may be willing to trade their first pick to the Sabres to get the extra pick. Is it worth it to the Sabres?

Sabres have a lot of hot young talent, I think the two for one switch would benefit them and perhaps get the superstar to make Vanek moveable or complement him.

Sabres have a lot of hot young talent, I think the two for one switch would benefit them and perhaps get the superstar to make Vanek moveable or complement him.

I hope so. This town is not very patient right now. The firing of Ruff did not sit well with me. Time to get down to business. They need to sign Vanek, Ott and Miller to long term deals. I do not know how much this Erhoff deal will have to do with it? Maybe they can restucture his?

I don't think the Avalanche are that stupid the first pick has to be worth much more than that. I could see them trading it for a combination of a young blue liner and picks and that is even a stretch.....

I might be the only person in Buffalo that hates this idea of moving up to 1st. It would cost you probably Grigorneko or Armia or Girgensons or Hodgson and Pysyk or McNabb or Myers and 8th and 16th and probably a pick next year for Nathan McKinnon? At least if Colorado is smart that's what it should cost. No thank you though. Why not keep 16 move up to like 5th maybe draft Barkov or Nichushkin and then come back at 16 and draft a good blue liner or a player like Erne (Grigorenko's best friend and junior line mate). Then you have two good players in a stacked draft. They have two 2nd's this year and next to use as chips to move up a few spots. This also allows you to keep your good young players and build to it. Then you have Miller and Vanek as chips to acquire more assets outside of the draft. The Sabres could really kill it this offseason if they do it right. This should be a rebuild not trade a lot of young talent and future for one guy.

• Like 1

I might be the only person in Buffalo that hates this idea of moving up to 1st. It would cost you probably Grigorneko or Armia or Girgensons or Hodgson and Pysyk or McNabb or Myers and 8th and 16th and probably a pick next year for Nathan McKinnon? At least if Colorado is smart that's what it should cost. No thank you though. Why not keep 16 move up to like 5th maybe draft Barkov or Nichushkin and then come back at 16 and draft a good blue liner or a player like Erne (Grigorenko's best friend and junior line mate). Then you have two good players in a stacked draft. They have two 2nd's this year and next to use as chips to move up a few spots. This also allows you to keep your good young players and build to it. Then you have Miller and Vanek as chips to acquire more assets outside of the draft. The Sabres could really kill it this offseason if they do it right. This should be a rebuild not trade a lot of young talent and future for one guy.

No way you hit the roster hard - the original proposal was two 1s for the 1st which I thought was optimistic at best, but would do in a heartbeat.

It would have to be for a player the Sabres identified as a game changer. Not sure McKinnon is it, no.

You're right that keeping the picks gives them the chance to add to their youth movement. If this talent pans out for them, Buffalo could be very good in a year or two.

With the depth in this draft, I think the Sabres should just hang on to their picks at 8 and 16. They're a rebuilding team and they can get two very solid young players with those picks. And to move up to one, two, or three they'd have to give up something big. And if it includes Grigorenko, or Armia it's not worth it.

• Like 2

With the depth in this draft, I think the Sabres should just hang on to their picks at 8 and 16. They're a rebuilding team and they can get two very solid young players with those picks. And to move up to one, two, or three they'd have to give up something big. And if it includes Grigorenko, or Armia it's not worth it.

I am in agreement with you. I keep 8 and 16 in a deep draft. Unless they reallly think one of these 3 is worth it? And if they do make the trade, its straight up, Colorado gets 8 and 16 for the number one. No way are they getting a valuable player also. That is nuts. They suck anyway. Let them take the first pick. Darcy is not going to get sucked in by them. I am not looking at this as a comlete rebuild when you have Vanek, Miller, OTT, Erhoff, Myers. More like a retool and they are going to add plenty of young talent. Unless they wish to trade a couple of those picks for an established player. I do not know the lit of unrestricted FA's? I think Buffalo can be right back in the mix next season.