Detroit Red Wings 2013-14 Schedule

Haliax

Full schedule announced here

There are a couple long road trips that look like they could be pretty brutal. Including 7 out of 8 on the road at the end of December/ beginning of January. Really only interrupted by the Winter Classic, which will an exhausting game itself. And then 5 games of 6 in February on the road.

Looks like a good amount of the games will make their way onto national television. Kind of looking forward to playing the Leafs more often, but I really don't like dealing with their fan base. Good thing there aren't very many of them here. :P

• Like 1

@Haliax As an NHL fan, I really miss the hatred between the Wings and Leafs franchises. Living in Windsor, it's geographically closer to Detriot, but the Leaf fans outnumber the Wings fans 3-1. Going back to the Game 7of their 1993 series, the famous Borechevsky OT goal (which is sadly, one of the greatest things to happen to that franchise in quite a while) is still celebrated in the streets of Windsor to this day. In Windsor at least, these franchises fan bases actually hate each other, so to see this renewed, it's exciting. Living in Chatham, I'm sure you see a bit of the same thing, even though it's further from Detroit, I'm sure the Wings have a base there.

Full schedule announced here

There are a couple long road trips that look like they could be pretty brutal. Including 7 out of 8 on the road at the end of December/ beginning of January. Really only interrupted by the Winter Classic, which will an exhausting game itself. And then 5 games of 6 in February on the road.

Looks like a good amount of the games will make their way onto national television. Kind of looking forward to playing the Leafs more often, but I really don't like dealing with their fan base. Good thing there aren't very many of them here. :P

Welcome to the club. The Flyers only have 4 Home games all of December....But then only have 4 road games in all of March (scratching my head).

I'm curious to see how the teams are going to respond to the long brak due to the Olympics.

@Haliax As an NHL fan, I really miss the hatred between the Wings and Leafs franchises. Living in Windsor, it's geographically closer to Detriot, but the Leaf fans outnumber the Wings fans 3-1. Going back to the Game 7of their 1993 series, the famous Borechevsky OT goal (which is sadly, one of the greatest things to happen to that franchise in quite a while) is still celebrated in the streets of Windsor to this day. In Windsor at least, these franchises fan bases actually hate each other, so to see this renewed, it's exciting. Living in Chatham, I'm sure you see a bit of the same thing, even though it's further from Detroit, I'm sure the Wings have a base there.

There is a decent Wings following here, but there are still far more Leafs fans. I never worried about a team having a rivalry, or disliking a team, but I don't like arguing with irrational fans over small points of contention. It all boils down to a bunch of fanboy whining and its boring. A rivalry like Detroit/Colorado where the teams actually hate each other is much more interesting, but I don't really see the Wings/Leafs getting there.

Welcome to the club. The Flyers only have 4 Home games all of December....But then only have 4 road games in all of March (scratching my head).

I'm curious to see how the teams are going to respond to the long brak due to the Olympics.

Remember when the Canucks had like a 12 game road trip because of the last Winter Olympics? That would suck.

@Haliax " A rivalry like Detroit/Colorado where the teams actually hate each other is much more interesting, but I don't really see the Wings/Leafs getting there."

Oh I disagree there, the hatred will be immediate, fueled by the older members of each teams fan base. To this day, I can't find a Leafs fan that does totally and completely hate the Leafs. There is a real sense of jealousy from the Leafs fan base, they dispise the success the Wings had in the 80's and 90's. Leaf fans around here feel the Wings fans are "bandwagon" fans who wear their colours much more in winning years that losing ones (not that there is many of those). Not saying it is correct, but I've heard that very sentiment from many, many Leafs fans. They feel Wings fans have a sense of entitlement.....AND really, really hate the Wings claim of "hockeytown", they consider it sacrilege of monumental proportions. The games are going to be all out warfare. Will be fun for fans, cause you have two of the fastest teams in the league, who will be playing with a sense of urgency and physicality....at least that's the way I see it.

@Haliax " A rivalry like Detroit/Colorado where the teams actually hate each other is much more interesting, but I don't really see the Wings/Leafs getting there."

Oh I disagree there, the hatred will be immediate, fueled by the older members of each teams fan base. To this day, I can't find a Leafs fan that does totally and completely hate the Leafs. There is a real sense of jealousy from the Leafs fan base, they dispise the success the Wings had in the 80's and 90's. Leaf fans around here feel the Wings fans are "bandwagon" fans who wear their colours much more in winning years that losing ones (not that there is many of those). Not saying it is correct, but I've heard that very sentiment from many, many Leafs fans. They feel Wings fans have a sense of entitlement.....AND really, really hate the Wings claim of "hockeytown", they consider it sacrilege of monumental proportions. The games are going to be all out warfare. Will be fun for fans, cause you have two of the fastest teams in the league, who will be playing with a sense of urgency and physicality....at least that's the way I see it.

Hey, I'm a Leaf fan who enjoys semi-following the wings (and I use the term semi-following in the most liberal sense).

My second favourite team thanks to my two uncles who introduced me to the game (one was a Leafs fan, the other a Wings fan).

But yeah, we're a rarity for whatever reason.

Hey, I'm a Leaf fan who enjoys semi-following the wings (and I use the term semi-following in the most liberal sense).

My second favourite team thanks to my two uncles who introduced me to the game (one was a Leafs fan, the other a Wings fan).

But yeah, we're a rarity for whatever reason.

Yeah. You're like a friggin unicorn.

@Haliax Oh, I see what you're saying...yeah, hard to predict animosity between 2 teams that don't play often. Maybe we get lucky and a Leaf get's Kronwalled and the teams hate each other right off the hop.

Get's Kronwalled but not injured. I could endorse that.

• Like 1

Looking at this article, it is pretty cool to compare travel distance for the Wings this coming season versus in the past. This will be the least travelling the team has done in at least 6 seasons, according to the writer of the article. At the same time, the Wings play less back to back games. Overall it looks to be an easier schedule for the team, at least in terms of travel, even despite the Florida teams being included in the division.

And look at the ridiculous amount of travel the Sharks and Coyotes do. Ouch.