Random stories and info from the world of hockey

JR Ewing

2015 3rd rounder?

I was a little unsure of that one, the chart makes it look like the Jackets pick, but it has question marks, not sure how to take that.

Either way, I'm really disappointed in Homer for not getting more than that. Sure, Bob was unproven, but it's commonplace in this league to throw in unreachable, seemingly stupid throw ins, like *if* Bob wins the vezina, we get their first rounder etc....just throw stuff at the wall and see it sticks kinda thing. That would not have hurt, and would have gotten us much more back.

@JR Ewing An outstanding in depth article about the pros and cons of hiring a "proven winner" GM to run your team. This guy just nails this article, proves his theory about 15 different ways.

http://www.iveybusin...ue#.UgMQmazd4ud

Terrific article. Could ONLY have come from outside the game. The last thing a sports writer would do is say anything which runs counter to the truisms of hockey men.

JR

Harvey_Doug_Bier_008.jpg

This is Doug Harvey. He's one of the greatest defensemen to ever play, but I have to think that just about every single person here knows that.

But... Did you know that Harvey was a fine all-around athlete? In addition to all of his accomplishments in hockey, he was heavyweight Champion in the Canadian Navy, prior to his NHL days. Harvey also turned down contracts to play both football and baseball professionally.

JR

@JR Ewing Unanimous entry to the HOF, as it should have been for Harvey. Greatest #2 to ever play the game. Among the others #2's, Mark Howe, Brian Leetch and Al McCinniss.

While I was researching, I found out Bob Nystrom is not in the HOF, and he never should be. I respect him as a competitor, but he was no where elite enough for HOF entry.

HMT1946.jpg

This is Max Bentley. He was a terrific player. Small (155 lbs) but slick with the puck, strong passer and was a superb skater. Bentley won Art Ross Trophies in 1946 and '47, while he played for Chicago, and that's with missing three prime years to World War 2.

Bentley was also a hypochondriac of the first order. He tried out for the Bruins, who loved his skill, but decided that he was too skinny to last in the NHL. He then went to try out for the Canadiens, and during the medical, the doctor told him he had a heart condition that was too severe for him to play; that if he did he'd be dead within a year. From that day on, for the rest of his life, Bentley went nowhere without a bag full of medications a hat full of maladies he was convinced he suffered from. Sore throats, stomach ulcers, headaches, burning eyes, and the constant belief that a heart attack was around the corner at any moment, Bentley suffered from what we would now see as anxiety.

Everybody knew about it. Cal Gardner: "I had been max's teammate on the Maple Leafs when we won the cup in 1949 and 1951 and we had been roommates but this was a game we had to win. As soon as we got on the ice for warmups, I made a beeline for Max and told him straight out that he seemed sick to me and that he should see a doctor. Whenever we'd pass I'd bring it up again. By game time, Max was a wreck and couldn't do a thing for New York that night. Naturally we beat the Rangers."

Article from the Montreal Gazette, Dec 28, 1953:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19531228&id=aoMtAAAAIBAJ&sjid=cZkFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4182,4771846

JR

• 2 weeks later...

Dobbersports article about the next wave of Oiler rookies.....

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index.php/columnistsarticles-mainmenu-77/45-prospect-schopping/5637-the-next-wave-of-oiler-rookies

This kid did not make the dobber article, but seems to be maturing and moving up the Oilers depth charts...

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/08/25/jujhar-khaira-is-the-edmonton-oilers-top-forward-prospect/