$8 Million for Kessel?

Guest RickW

Wow. Seems a bit much for a guy who plays no defense, has never scored 40 goals in a season and has been a negative +/- player in every season but once since he has been in the NHL. Positive is he's only 26 so should still be effective at the end of the contract.

• Like 1

@RickW

@phg

Welcome to the site guys!

I have to agree with both of you. 6-7M would have been more than enough for Kessel.  The Leaf's organization thinks he is a top 10 player in the league.  I completely disagree with that assessment.

@RickW  Stats can be twisted any which way. Bottom line, Kessel is in the top 5 goal scorers when you total the past 4 years. Goals cost money in this league. Is he worth the 8, not quite, but I believe 6.7-7.2 would have been fair, considering his production. Problem here was, Kessel was in a REAL strong bargaining positon. The Leafs gave up Hamilton and Seguin to get him. The Leafs offense without him looks no where near the same with him gone. Kessel even took a bit of a discount to sign there, as I believe he would have got more on the open market as a UFA next summer. The Leafs had to pay more because of that little equation, cause you can bet Phil's agent brought this up.

@phg@RickW,

Welcome!! good to see new blood and ideas in here, all are welcome.

Kessel for 8 million a year is a joke. I like him, don't get me wrong but Really? I know the cap will be going up and who knows in a few years it may seem like a bargain but wow.

@RickW

@phg

Welcome to the site guys!

I have to agree with both of you. 6-7M would have been more than enough for Kessel.  The Leaf's organization thinks he is a top 10 player in the league.  I completely disagree with that assessment.

I think it's safe to say 6-7M would not have been more than enough for Kessel. Six million is simply below his worth and I think if Nonis maxed out at seven Phil would have walked and got it (or possibly more) during free agency. As @jammer2 mentioned, Kessel had the Leafs over a barrel to a certain extent - they could not afford to let him walk and he said he wasn't going to negotiate during the season for whatever that's worth. As much as I would have loved to see Kessel come in under 8 I expected 8.

I don't know about them honestly thinking he's a top 10 player in the league, but he has been a top 10 scorer over the past couple years. Points seem to translate into money.

Anyway, it's a bit too much but not to the point where I think it will bite the Leafs horribly (unless of course Kessel falls off a cliff). I will say I am happy Kessel's locked up and didn't walk away for nothing. That would have been disastrous.