Are Dynasties on the Decline?

Guest TretiakCCCP20

All this talk I've been hearing from Hockey Analysts saying the Blackhawks are going to repeat has got me thinking. Everybody knows the last team to repeat was the Red Wings in 97-98. The last true dynasty of course was the Edmonton Oilers lead by the almost god-like Wayne Gretzky during the 80's. The thing is I really think that dynasties are becoming more and more rare. Here is a few reasons why.

During the 80's when teams like the Islanders and Oilers dominated everybody the game was so much more focused on offense than it is today. Teams like New York and Edmonton who had completely stacked offensive lines took control because that's how the game was played. The team with the best offense was usually going to win, defense wasn't exactly prioritized and goaltending wasn't as perfected into an art as it is today. The game was just played so much more different then than it was now. On top of all of that, there are more teams in the NHL than there were in the 80's and 70's. The game now is much more perfected and the gap between putting emphasis on Offense vs. Defense vs. Goaltending is much, much narrower today than it use to be.

I would love to hear everybody's thoughts on this. Personally, I think the Blackhawks have a decent chance at a repeat but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's already in the bag like some people have said. They have 81 games left in the season and a lot could change. Not to mention teams like the Penguins, Rangers, Kings, Red Wings, Maple Leafs, and Bruins will be gunning to hoist the cup over their heads.

There are more teams. Talent is diluted as a result.

There is also a lot more impact from free agency - and players are more likely to "test the market" than "be loyal." And teams are more likely to tell a guy to "test the market" than "be loyal."

"Dynasties" aren't likely to be repeats as much as they are consistent high-level competitiveness with non-sequential championships. The Hawks are certainly a good example, but I don't see them as unbeatable or as even a prohibitive favorite. So much has to go right in a hockey season and then so much has to go right in the most difficult tournament in annual sport - The Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Here is a few reasons why.

During the 80's when teams like the Islanders and Oilers dominated everybody the game was so much more focused on offense than it is today. Teams like New York and Edmonton who had completely stacked offensive lines took control because that's how the game was played. The team with the best offense was usually going to win, defense wasn't exactly prioritized and goaltending wasn't as perfected into an art as it is today. The game was just played so much more different then than it was now. On top of all of that, there are more teams in the NHL than there were in the 80's and 70's. The game now is much more perfected and the gap between putting emphasis on Offense vs. Defense vs. Goaltending is much, much narrower today than it use to be.

I would say that the salary cap also plays a large part in this... Good teams that win can't afford to keep all their players. How many teams have you seen the last few years that won and then lost key members of their squad to FA or trades? Chicago managed to keep their core intact but lost Ladd, Byfuglien and later Campbell to name but three. The 09 Pens lost Rob Scuderi.

In addition to this the sheer volume of hockey that is played now takes it's toll. Back in the 70's and 80's training was far less punishing than it is today and that also has an impact.

Personally, I think the Blackhawks have a decent chance at a repeat but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's already in the bag like some people have said.

Agreed.

@EDI-Flyer @radoran Very decent points you two have made! there are so many factors as far as why dynasties are becoming much less common. The salary cap is definitely a big contributer to that. Successful teams just can't afford to keep their players for very long. And loyalty to a given team is very rare because money talks. If a player finds a team that offers more usually they will take the new offer over staying with their old team.

I think in any one year there are a handful of teams that are in their "championship window"  right now the Blackhawks are one as are the Penguins , Kings, Bruins , with St Louis' on the horizon.  The league wants a degree of parity so at the beginning of the year the fans feel as though their team has a shot, because the crappy teams have an advantage for picking the best amateur players the the talent pool is spread around.  I think the only sport where we find "dynasties" is MLB because of the lack of a hard salary cap and the league is run but a bunch of civet cats. The team with the most money will have the best players and the best chance to win.

i think the NHL championship is the toughest tournament in sports to win it is so long, the game is so physical and fast, injuries change the complexion of teams drastically. so the days of having the OIl run the table for 4 straight a long over but there are clubs that are primed to win multiple championships in a time frame.  I think the great Wings teams of the late 90's and early 00's could be considered the first of the new style dynasties.  

@mojo1917 Interesting take, the league has basically made it now so that the talent pool is very spread around like you have said. In a way its kind of a good thing because you don't have like in MLB where the Yankees basically buy themselves championships. What really annoys me is how everybody is saying the Blackhawks are going to repeat like its a done deal or something. Like really?

@mojo1917 Interesting take, the league has basically made it now so that the talent pool is very spread around like you have said. In a way its kind of a good thing because you don't have like in MLB where the Yankees basically buy themselves championships. What really annoys me is how everybody is saying the Blackhawks are going to repeat like its a done deal or something. Like really?

You have to take the media with a grain of salt. Or, more accurately, a salt lick.

The easy pick is "who won last year"? And that's the lazy pick, too.

So, to recap, the media is pretty much a bunch of lazy slobs looking for the easy pick.

Q.E.D.