First Day Back Playing Hockey

bunnyman

'twas just an afternoon of "shinny", but it was fun. I only fell on me arse three or four times. I tried hard not to make contact, and did decently. One wannabe NHL-er, but he was actually a gentleman.

Three on three, no goalie was the game of the day. My shot was crap. I did force people to shoot over me. I did score three goals. Sometimes I would give the puck right back to the wrong people. I couldn't take a pass well. I always tended to take the guy with the most skill, which was silly on my part, but he also was a gentleman. He just had to work harder. Again- I have only been back on the ice skating for two weeks, going an average of three times a week.

The sweat: damn!!!! I forgot how sweaty I get. I use a padded compression pant/jock that while it contributed to the sweatbox aspect, I felt nothing when I fell on me arse.

I chickened out and ran a full cage on my helmet. Not many shots got near the noggin, but I was NOT going to take a chance.

Can't wait 'til the next time I can play shinny.

Yah, pics would be cool, bunny, if you can...(but not the ones falling on yer arse...haha!  ;) ).  Way to go,, bunnyman!! Good on you for getting back in the saddle!  Keep us posted how it's going...glad you went with full cage too...ya just never know, right? I'd be doing the same...you prefer cage to full visor then? Too steamed up? Thought this might've been corrected by now by makers...I don't remember that my full visor used to get steamy, but not like I used it much either....a thousand moons ago...haha!

I couldn't get myself to get an Oakley visor... Probably the best optics and fog resistance in the game (I was a sponsored athlete in the sport of duathlon by oakley back in the late '90s), but I am a heat/fog making machine!!!! My helmet was so full of sweat that it looked like I washed my helmet during the game!!!!!

I already have my alternate pair of gloves. Shame I don't have a glove drier on the bench like Ray Bourque back in the day (I did, too back in the day; just one of my many silly inventions). I guess I will dry gloves after each game... My gloves are TPS Response R10 in Red/Gold and Navy/Gold. The Gold is GOLD!!!

post-1100-0-73212000-1381629675_thumb.jp

post-1100-0-67960300-1381629717_thumb.jp

• Like 1

@TretiakCCCP20 - When I was playing Junior hockey, I would have not had a problem losing a tooth. Now that I am old and ancient, I like the fact my teeth have held together thus far!

My Blue gloves match my Atlanta Thrashers (non-crested) and any other blue sweater I'd get. The red match my Dallas Stars third sweater and the Thrashers sweater (go with the red on each sweater). I would rock gold or silver gloves if I could find them, but since I have two pro-level gloves for half the price of a pair of custom Warriors, all-silver or gold gloves is out of the question for now. Now is someone made a gold or silver helmet, I have one today!!!!

All I gotta say is when I first stepped onto the ice last week I was huffing and puffing and really just out of gas on the ice when I skated out. This morning I stepped onto the ice and I had tons of energy, knotted two goals! Very impressed with how in such little time my endurance has increased dramatically.

@bunnyman,

Where at in Illinois?  I lived in the Bellevillle area for 10 years ('82-'92).  There was no indoor ice when I was there.  I heard of one place that had outdoor ice when it got cold enough but that was only about 6 weeks per year.  Never got to skate there. 

Good choice on the full cage.  I use an old Oakley combo cage. I always say I'm too old to learn how to eat with no teeth!  I don't have any fogging issues as long as I use the Oakley anti fog.

post-112-0-71894400-1381757763_thumb.jpg

And now for the second day update: one would think a bank Holiday (Columbus Day in America) would get some bodies in the rink; think again!!! Two showed up. But we ran drills, not a terrible thing!!! He just wore sweats, gloves, and helmet; I was fully kitted out. I need to get used to the mobility limits of a full set of pads, anyway. And I still fall over a few times per session, so I definitely need pants on!!!

I don't know when the next time I get out in full gear, but I can't wait!!!

• Like 1

Very impressed with how in such little time my endurance has increased dramatically.

Enjoy every single moment of this while you can, Tret! Not all of us are in that position! LOL!  ;)

And now for the second day update: one would think a bank Holiday (Columbus Day in America) would get some bodies in the rink; think again!!! Two showed up. But we ran drills, not a terrible thing!!! He just wore sweats, gloves, and helmet; I was fully kitted out. I need to get used to the mobility limits of a full set of pads, anyway. And I still fall over a few times per session, so I definitely need pants on!!!

I don't know when the next time I get out in full gear, but I can't wait!!!

Good for you bud for getting out today, anyway! I forgot it's Columbus Day down yonder...Thanksgiving for us up here! {gobble, gobble!}  :P Yum...good eats!!

Edited by goalnut3133

While performance in contact sports decreases significantly after age 30, there's no reason one can't play at a competitive level long into their thirties or even forties. The main issue is keeping it going. Slack off in your later years, it's MUCH tougher to get back. I am a good case argument for that!!!!