Colorado Avalanche - False Advertising!

EDI-Flyer

Well, here we are four games into the season and the Aves sit at 4-0, joint top of the West with San Jose. Moreover, whilst they have been more or less as billed on the offensive front, the real surprise so far has come on the blue line. 

Thus far they have conceded three goals in those four games, three of which have come against pretty good offensive teams (Toronto, Boston and Anaheim). Indeed they pitched a shutout against Boston last night with Giguere stoning all attempts by Boston. 

While I don't think they will remain atop the standings for the rest of the season I think they could well make the play offs if they continue to buy into Patrick Roy's game plan.

Any way you cut it they are a very entertaining team to watch and I will certainly be making the effort to watch a fair few of their games.

Paddy Roy has them playing with an attitude, I cannot stress enough Steve Downie is a presense for them, a Milan Lucic lite as it were. If it weren't for his injury early in the season last year the club would have had a bit of swagger. Having him healthy allows a bit more space and confidence for the kid forwards to move and grow.

• Like 1

Paddy Roy has them playing with an attitude, I cannot stress enough Steve Downie is a presense for them, a Milan Lucic lite as it were. If it weren't for his injury early in the season last year the club would have had a bit of swagger. Having him healthy allows a bit more space and confidence for the kid forwards to move and grow.

Downie has always had it in him IMO, he has certainly matured over the last few years. As long as he avoids the dumb suspensions he will be a force for them. I remember one of the scouting reports on him prior to the draft quoting a scout as saying "you win with guys like this on your team, with his grit he belongs in the W(HL)"

@EDI-Flyer

I enjoy watching them also EDI, they are skilled and fast.

I think in addition to what Yave said above Landeskog was also injured and O'Reilly held out on his contract.  Adding the talent of MacKinnon sure helps also.

Definitely those are all factors but for me I think the addition of Roy has been the key differentiator. His experience of working in the Q with young kids seems to translate well to a young team and he seems to have imbued them with confidence above all else, as well as the attitude that Yave mentioned.