Elliott seems to becoming a hot trade commodity without playing

stlbluesfan4ever

The Blues play their 5th game of the season tonight, and brian elliott hasn't even had a sniff at the net yet, even though there is a chance he could start thursday or friday as the Blues have back to back game for the first time this season, however, in recent days, Elliott seems to have become the hottest trade commodity on multiple rumor sites, and many "experts" already have elliott linked to edmonton and the New York Rangers in a back up role, even Jeremy Rutherford of the Post Dispatch, is cited in saying that the elliott rumors have "substance" So, many people think the best elliott will fetch is a third or fourth round pick, and cutting his 1.8 million contract would give the note a little more room to wiggle from the cap. Also, it would give them a chance to promote Allen and get him regular time with the Blues goalie coach Corey Hirsch and regular time practicing with the big club instead of splitting time in chicago with Matt Climie, who was the Wolves starting goalie last season before the Blues sold the Rivermen. All signs point to the Blues wanting to rally around Halak as their number one and if Halak can stay healthy, the odds are very good he will be wearing the Bluenote on his chest next season, but, I also see Halak as a much bigger cap hit next season, as with most likely Allen as his backup, there would be a much clearer label on Halak and he can demand more money as the clear #1 to go along his more proven playoff record. I though the Blues Might keep elliott so they could have a pretty reliable goalie at a cheaper price and groom Allen along and if elliott stumbled at all, Allen could step right in. and Halak might fetch more in a trade, But, Halak's actions this offseason staying in St. louis to train instead of going home, and his recent hot start could be Halak starting to secure the top spot. So, Is this just more smoke and mirrors to try to push Elliott's value up as halak's value continues to grow with his hot start, or is elliott really on his way out in the near future, and what do you think the Blues should or can actually get in return for elliott. 

It is way early in the season to be thinking of moving your back up because the starter is playing lights out. Elliot is a proven commodity and should have fair value if or when they move him. You mentioned an AHLer named Allen, do you really feel he could step into Halak's skates if Halak is injured? From a Flyer fan's perspective, it would be absolutely NUTS to move Elliot if you don't have a NHL ready back up.......

Well, I really don't think a decision should be made about either Halak or elliott right now, but, I know it's on everyone's mind and trade rumors are going crazy right now. Jake Allen is close, and I think he could fill in just fine, but the long haul, I think he has more seasoning to do, and since he isn't really getting much playing time in chicago, getting Allen up here just as a back up might be doing him more good than split time with the wolves. But, I think, especially after last night's game against the sharks, I think we really need to make sure we're backing the right horse before making any huge decisions. I was more wondering if this was all a ploy to run both elliott and Halak's stock up in the trade market, than actual preparation of changing course, but, time will tell. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard the usual suspects, The Oilers and Flames have both been mentioned. One of the crazy ones I have heard is Buffalo in a Ryan Miller swap.

Personally I am not sold on Allen. I think they are better off with Elliot staying put.

@yave1964  I'm with you, I see Allen as a risky venture. If Halak went down, (which happens with increased regularity) I would not want Allen watching over my playoff aspirations. The guy is a good young tender, but when he's off....he's really off. I'd stick with Elliott myself. He lead the whole league in shut outs just a season and a half ago....he's worth more than some think IMHO.