Groundhog Day... Flyers Edition

murraycraven

Two points is two points, right?  It was nice to see they were able to finally hold onto a 3rd period lead.   It was also revealing to see how this Team stacked up to an AHL squad after 6 days of mini-camp help by the new Coach (oh, wait... 4 days b/c they had off for 2 days).

Face it folks this Team is just not good.   The same issues plague this Team and while they seem to have more jump in their skates they simply are a bad fundamental Team - and it is showing.   I have never witnessed a NHL Team that turns more pucks over much in their own end.  The lack of board play is astounding and the utter ineptitude to get the puck out of the zone is shocking. 

Matt Read was the best player on the ice last night which is great to see.   On most nights VL and Streit have been a few of the best players in the O&B.  I get the contract situation and their age but they have been consistant and have played well.  IMO, Streit is the best defenseman on this Team but what about everyone else - both Offense and Defense?

Claude Giroux looks bad.   If this is the crystal ball for the next 8 years everyone should stop whining about the other contracts (Harts, Streit, VL, etc...) b/c this is going to KILL this Team for a long time.  I am not saying it will but his game needs to do a total 180 to earn 8M per year.   He is nowhere near an 8M player in this league based on recent play.   Frankly, 8M per year is scary considering how bad he is playing... we will see in time b/c right now he sucks.

Cooter has been a bright spot in my opinion and has been playing strong hockey.  I like that he was phsyical las night.  If only his shot did not look like a peice of popcorn falling out of Hal Gill's bucket he might be able to score.  

Jake V makes more blind passes than a Q-back w/ eye patches on... Whatever his deal is he needs to get his ass in gear and start playing like last year.   He has been, along w/ G, the biggest dissapoinments on this Team. 

Raffl...  I think it is safe to say he does not belong on the 1st line.  I like the kid's abilities but having him paired w/ G is just a bad idea... too small up front and everyone is in the pass first mentality.  Someone needs to shoot the puck - someone, anyone?  PLEASE!!! 

Mason - this kid is starting to look like the real deal and it is a shame... we finally have a Goalie (spare the Bob stuff b/c we all know what happened) and the Team in front of him is bad.  

This was a moral victory and nothing more.  The same issues are there and the play is lackluster for 59 minutes a game.   I was hoping to see a Flyers Team come out and route the AHL version of the Rags last night.  Come our flying and put up some goals.   This Team is maddening....

You know things are shitty when Coburn has more goals than nearly all of the forwards on this Team.   You want something positive?  They got the 2 points...   that is about it.

Edited by murraycraven

I honestly think the most major issue with this team right now is PP hockey.  We had 11 minutes of PP time last night and couldn't score.  We are next to last in PP %.  We have scored 3 PP goals and overall are 3 For 37 or we score on 8% of our PP opportunities.  3 for 37?  That is HORRIBLE!  Last year we were 3rd overall at 21.6%. At last year's percentage this team would have 5 more goals.  Now I know that isn't alot, but should those goals have happened against Carolina, Phoenix and Vancouver, we could be looking at a team which was 5-4 not 2-7.  

I honestly think the most major issue with this team right now is PP hockey.  We had 11 minutes of PP time last night and couldn't score.  We are next to last in PP %.  We have scored 3 PP goals and overall are 3 For 37 or we score on 8% of our PP opportunities.  3 for 37?  That is HORRIBLE!  Last year we were 3rd overall at 21.6%. At last year's percentage this team would have 5 more goals.  Now I know that isn't alot, but should those goals have happened against Carolina, Phoenix and Vancouver, we could be looking at a team which was 5-4 not 2-7.  

The power play is abysmal. No life. No motion. Predictable as hell. If everyone sitting at home knows where the pass is going and the shot is coming from - do you think the defenders do? Team seems happy to pass around the edges - they have no penetration and don't move the box.

They had an entire intermission to set up a two minute (major) PP - AND GOT TWO SHOTS ON GOAL (one blocked, two missed). Giroux came out, lost the faceoff and it was a minute before they even had their first shot attempt (blocked). Against a depleted Ranger team playing in front of a backup backup goalie.

Less than two minutes later Giroux hooks Moore.

That was where the Pens would have come out and put up a crooked number and stomped a team.

Happy to get two points out of that, but quite frankly Henrik doesn't give up that Read breakaway and takes the extra point in the shootout.

Beyond distressing.

The power play is abysmal. No life. No motion. Predictable as hell. If everyone sitting at home knows where the pass is going and the shot is coming from - do you think the defenders do? Team seems happy to pass around the edges - they have no penetration and don't move the box.

They had an entire intermission to set up a two minute (major) PP - AND GOT TWO SHOTS ON GOAL (one blocked, two missed). Giroux came out, lost the faceoff and it was a minute before they even had their first shot attempt (blocked). Against a depleted Ranger team playing in front of a backup backup goalie.

Less than two minutes later Giroux hooks Moore.

That was where the Pens would have come out and put up a crooked number and stomped a team.

Happy to get two points out of that, but quite frankly Henrik doesn't give up that Read breakaway and takes the extra point in the shootout.

Beyond distressing.

Could not have said it better myself rad...