Ryan Happy To Be In Ottawa

radoran

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/ryan-was-thinking-flyers-now-loving-ottawa

For the longest time this summer, Ryan was convinced he was headed to the Flyers. First, the team had been in a prolonged downturn, had missed the playoffs, was about to buy out Danny Briere, and had made it known it was seeking a scoring forward, preferably a winger.

Ryan had been the darling from South Jersey, a kid whose father worked at Bob Clarke’s gym and whose family was close with many in the Flyers’ organization. It just made sense. Too much sense.

Which is why a trade never happened, though the Flyers had discussions with Anaheim last June even before GM Bob Murray made a deal with Ottawa.

That’s because the Ducks were in the process of re-signing Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry to long-term deals worth in excess of $8 million a season for both players.

“Yeah, it did cross my mind,” Ryan said about coming home. “The writing was on the wall there for a while, especially when Getz and Perry signed. I knew I would be moving somewhere. You hear rumors and try to separate it as much as you can. I knew they (Flyers) were one of the teams in the conversation.”

In the end, the Flyers did as they always do -- they went for a big, veteran, older centerman in Vinny Lecavalier.

I'm glad for Ryan. He's in a town that loves hockey, but isn't insane media-wise. Big enough to have lots going on and small enough it isn't full of crazies (other than the politicians). After what he's gone through in life he deserves to be happy.

Plus we don't have to go through these "Ryan to Philly inevitable" trade proposals that surfaced every other day. I'm sure we'll sign him in 10 years though.

Ryan is in a perfect situation in Ottawa replacing Alfie at a time when he angered the populace by leaving to play for Detroit rather than retiring and having to replace a revered icon.

I have always felt that Ryan is a true sniper and with Spezza having something to prove as the teams captain and being a great setup man to boot Ryan hopefully has found a home. I see him as a bit like Shanahan in regards to being a sniper who will bounce around a bit and leave fond memories most everywhere he plays as he is a good personality and a likeable sort on the ice. Do I think he is a hofer? I don't know, I wouldn't rule it out WAY too early to rule it out but if he wins a couple of cups for the Sens and puts up solid numbers for a decade or more to come he very well might be. Does he have holes in his game? Sure, but he is the type who these generally get glossed over as time goes by.