Courier-Post writeup on Grossmann

AJgoal

I don't know that I buy his assertion that Grossman is one of the Flyers' most effective defensemen, but it's still an ok read.

Another view on GrossmanN....

Film study: Nicklas Grossmann, blocked shots, and hits

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/2/19/5417516/blocked-shots-and-hits-the-grossmann-debate-a-film-study

The first thing that I personally took away from this exercise as I was doing it was that a heck of a lot of blocked shots and hits occur organically, as the result of "just playing defense". A player like Grossmann for example, used his shot blocking ability when his opponent gained the zone at no fault of his or his teammates' to prevent a shot on goal time and time again.

At the same time however, I can't help but notice that the three biggest culprits in my exercise were Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, and Mark Streit. They are the Flyers' three worst puck possession defenseman among regulars (using Fenwick close and omitting Meszaros as a "regular").

So while someone like Grossmann or Schenn may not directly turn the puck over and then notch another blocked shot for themselves; perhaps there is some truth to the idea that their inability to push play the other way is resulting in additional blocked shots or hits for them or their linemates.

All told, I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. (For anyone unfamiliar with my writing, you may start to recognize I frequently occupy the middle ground.) I think Anthony is right that no team is going to possess the puck all the time, and that a player like Grossmann negates a lot of scoring changes by blocking shots or eliminating his man. My extremely small three game tape study, however, does make me wonder how inflated a statistic like blocked shots can be when 30% of them occurred as the result of poor possession play.

Just a sample enjoy....