St Louis trade request confirmed

mng815

Callahan, 1st, 2nd (NYR's chance to advance to ECF is slim, so let's just assume it will remain a 2nd round pick) for MSL who would waive only for the NYR.

That's the key. I think Callahan wants too much cash but if you have to trade him, you've already got two high picks plus whatever he brings in. The Bolts won this trade.

MSL just got a solid player and two first rounders for the Lightning. His "legacy" in Tampa could live on in those three players for quite some time.

True. I'll just correct you, we did get a 1st (2015) and a conditional 2nd (2014; becomes a first if the NYR make ECF this year). Furthermore, if Yzerman manages to re-sign Callahan the NYR will get a 2nd in 2015 in exchange for a 7th in 2015. :) 

So yeah, it could potentially be two firsts, but chances are slim.

@Lightning fan  Welcome, great to see another Bolts fan in here!

Hey jammer, thanks! ;)

That's the key. I think Callahan wants too much cash but if you have to trade him, you've already got two high picks plus whatever he brings in. The Bolts won this trade.

Think he wants 6m? Or somewhere in the neighbourhood. I think Yzerman will pay him, he's the kind of player we had been lacking for some time. ^_^

@Lightning fan  You must be pretty excited to have such a bright young hockey mind like Stevie Y in charge of your franchise. He is gonna be a master at evaluating talent and managing the cap. He will be patient and build through the draft and strike only for necessities, not luxuries. In other words, he will be the anti-Homer, who drafts well, but manages assets and the cap like crap.

Your first rounder from a few years ago, Slater Koekkoek is just loaded with talent, he plays for my hometown Windsor Spitfires. Excellent skater, super smart, super fast...but is having trouble staying healthy. He kind of reminds me a smarter, faster more talented version of Del Zotto. He runs the pp really nice, lots of vision and skill. He's a keeper, just has to stay healthy....this is the second year in a row where a major injury ended his season abruptly.

@jammer2 Absolutely, I'm very excited about the state the club is in right now; it's a good time to be a Bolts fan IMO. We finally have a competent owner who's willing and able to spend (arena reconstruction, adequate budget for a solid management group, ability to spend to the salary cap, etc.), a great Gm in Yzerman and a great development program combined with great scouting. Cooper seems like a great coach, too.

We have youngster on our roster that nobody around the league has heard before doing great and turning some heads.

Ondrej Palat, 22 yo, drafted 208th overall in 2011 is second (!) in rookie scoring.

66GP 17G 26A +25

Tyler Johson, 23 yo, who didn't get drafted because he was perceived to be too small, third in rookie scoring

66GP 21G 21A +16

Alex Killorn, 24 yo, drafted 77th overall in 2007

66GP 15G 21A +7

Radko Gudas, D, 23 yo, drafted 66th overall in 2010, being very solid in his first full season - he's improved a lot defensively on his last season

57GP 2G 14A +5

On top of that there are prospects who might be ready to make the jump to the NHL: Drouin, Ikonen...

I heard the news about Slater, it's very unfortunate. I hope the shoulder injury and this one will not stall his development.

It's not all rosy in the Lightning land, we could definitely use a solid Top 4 D-man, but it's a work in progress; no need to rush prospects or commit to panic moves - we are a young team on the rise after all.

;)