Spits opt for size at OHL draft

jammer2

The Windsor Spitfires went for size at yesterday's OHL draft. They selected mammoth defender Logan Stanley. Only 16, this kid is 6'6 and 209 pounds. Admittedly on the skinny side, but lots of time to fill out his frame. In the 5th round, the Spits made a splash by selecting 5'9 offensive dynamo Blake Coffey, Paul's son. They say he can run a pp in the OHL right now, so that will be fun to watch.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/04/05/spitfires-take-big-defenceman-stanley-in-first-round-of-ohl-draft/

• 4 weeks later...

@jammer2

I hate having the draft when the playoffs are on. I just can't find interest in it while the Colts are playing and the Flyers are jockeying for position. I checked the Colts first pick and that was it.

The Brandon Wheat Kings have selected center Stelio Mattheos with the first overall pick in the 2014 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.

http://www.whl.ca/article/wheat-kings-select-mattheos-1st-overall

Calgary, AB. -- The Brandon Wheat Kings have selected center Stelio Mattheos with the first overall pick in the 2014 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.

Mattheos played last season with the Winnipeg Monarchs of the Winnipeg AAA Bantam Hockey League. In 35 games he accumulated 103 points, including 53 goals. The 6'1" 180 lb. Winnipeg captain added another twelve goals and 19 points in eight playoff games.

“This is a tremendously exciting day for our hockey club and fans,” says Wheat Kings general manager and head coach Kelly McCrimmon. “Stelio is big, strong and skilled and a very powerful skater. As well, he has tremendous character.”

“Joining some other top young players in our organization, we expect he will be an impact player. We are pleased to welcome Stelio to the Wheat Kings organization and look forward to watching him develop in Brandon,” McCrimmon went on to say. "He will be a very good player for us.”

This marks the second straight season that the Wheat Kings have chosen a Winnipeg born player with their first bantam selection. In 2013, Brandon opted for center Nolan Patrick fourth overall. In fact, he becomes the ninth Manitoban to be chosen by the Wheat Kings in the opening round since the WHL introduced the bantam draft in 1990.

In addition to Patrick, Manitobans selected by the Wheat Kings in the opening round have included the likes of Codey Burki, Eric Fehr and Colin Cloutier, who were selected in 2002, 2000 and 1991 respectively.

"(Stelio) is a guy who puts in a lot of extra work away from the rink, to work on his fitness," Monarchs head coach Stewart Thiessen recently told the Winnipeg Free Press. "His strength and his speed...that translates to giving himself a lot of opportunities in games."

"He's got a great skill set," Thiessen added, "and those allow him to make plays and score goals when he's given the opportunity. He's been a great player for us."

"Stelio is very fast with great balance which he uses to drive the net and make power moves on defenceman," says Western Elite Hockey Prospects. "He is very difficult to contain on the rush or down low. Very strong on draws, he has a very heavy shot and changes the release point of his shot well."

Players eligible for the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft are 1999-born players, who reside in Alberta, B.C., Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Yukon, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.

This marked the first time in history that the Wheat Kings have had the first overall pick. Prior to this year, Brandon's best draft position had been second overall - in 1991, '92 and '93 - when the Wheat Kings chose Cloutier, Wade Redden and Darren Van Oene respectively.

By going to Brandon first overall, Mattheos joins some pretty select company, becoming one of only twenty-five to go first overall in the annual bantam draft.

Among those that have been chosen number one over the course of the past 24 years include the likes of Jarret Stoll (Edmonton Ice) of the Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues defenceman Jay Bouwmeester (Medicine Hat), Jonathan Toews (Tri-City) of the Chicago Blackhawks, Philadelphia's Braydon Coburn (Portland) and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Red Deer) of the Edmonton Oilers.

Nugent-Hopkins went on to become the first overall pick in the National Hockey League draft in 2011.

• 2 months later...

@OccamsRazor  Just curious, why the post on this kid, is it somebody you've been keeping an eye on?

It was just a random article i thought i'd pass along.

CBJ 1st rounder Sonny Milano to announce he'll forego playing at Boston College in favour of the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL.

http://thehockeywriters.com/is-sonny-milano-headed-to-the-ohl/

@OccamsRazor   Yeah, not happy with this move at all. My Spits will have to play Sonny Milano around 8-9 times counting pre-season tilts.

I can't wait to see how Paul's son Blake Coffey looks in a Spits uniform.....also *really* curious to see how mobile Logan Stanley is, our first rounder this year. I heard he has grown another inch, so he's a 6'7 16 year old d-man. Don't know much about the kid, but I don't think it's a big stretch that this kid grows another couple inches between the ages of 16-18...so we could be seeing a 6'8 or maybe even 6'9 D-man...might end up being bigger than Chara....but still needs to badly put on some weight, hopes he been working on his upper body strength....knowing the Spitfires brass, he is doing just that.

Well, thanks for that. Nice article on the kid. WOW....103 pts....53 goals in 35 games....and then filled the net in the playoffs, bagging 18 pts and 12 goals in only 8 playoff games. This kid sounds very prolific. I know that AAA Bantam hockey leagues usually have some decent talent for young kids, so these totals are mindboggling. Can't wait to see how he develops for the Wheat Kings. The WK's are one of my favourite WHL teams, but the Calgary Hitmen with 2 talented Flyer picks have shot to the top.....lol. Will be ineresting to watch him grow and evolve, I'm guessing he's a top 5 pick in 2016.

Yeah i wonder what the chances of Morin and Sanheim lacing them up for team Canada is?

I have heard that they are heavy favourites to make the team. Morin is a virtual lock, and Sanheim could be the best skating d-men in the whole CHL....so he will get a *long* look. If they both make it, Flyer fans in Canada will be gushing with pride....CAN'T WAIT to see if they make it. Like I said in another thread, Christmas a day late (WJC always starts on Boxing Day).

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz chara 2.0??? but can he skate?

Training camp starts pretty soon, not sure of the actual date, but I'll be giving full reports.

Interesting article on Blake Coffey, our 5th round pick this past draft. He's undersized, but I guess he had the best one timer of all the kids that were draft eligible. Shocked he lasted till the 5th round, a great pick by the Spits brass. Can't wait to the that rocket of a shot in training camp!!

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/sports/hall-of-famer-coffey-thrilled-to-see-son-drafted-by-spits

I guess Paul has one more kid coming up the pipeline, Christian is a big Right Winger with speed and smarts.

CBJ 1st rounder Sonny Milano to announce he'll forego playing at Boston College in favour of the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL.

http://thehockeywriters.com/is-sonny-milano-headed-to-the-ohl/

This report is in direct conflict with the Whalers report for Milano, mytraderumors.com is now reporting Milano will be reporting to BC this fall.....hmmm, wonder which one is true, as a Spits fan, I'm hoping for the latter!

http://mynhltraderumors.com/

• 2 weeks later...

This report is in direct conflict with the Whalers report for Milano, mytraderumors.com is now reporting Milano will be reporting to BC this fall.....hmmm, wonder which one is true, as a Spits fan, I'm hoping for the latter!

Milano Headed To Plymouth

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2014/08/milano-headed-to-plymouth.html

Sonny Milano, the Blue Jackets' first-round draft pick in the June draft, has pulled out of a commitment to Boston College and will instead play this season for the Plymouth Whalers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Milano, the No. 16 overall pick, informed Boston College coach Jerry York of his decision today.

"Sonny has informed me he will sign a contract," York was quoted as saying in a tweet by @BCHockey, the Boston College sports informational department. "They will dictate his path as he embarks on his pro career."

That would seem to indicate the Blue Jackets were involved in making Milano's decision, which they have denied.

The Blue Jackets have said repeatedly that contract talks wouldn't begin until Milano made his decision -- Plymouth or Boston College? -- and that they wouldn't get involved in the decision-making process.

"That's a decision for Sonny Milano and his family," Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said earlier this summer. "He and his family have to make the decision, and we'll support them either way."

Milano was said to be leaning away from Boston College even before he was drafted, but he denied repeatedly that a decision had been made -- first at the NHL draft in Philadelphia, then at Blue Jackets' development camp, and again last week at the United States national junior development camp in Lake Placid, N.Y.

Plymouth is one of Canada's well-respected major-junior programs. He'll play nearly twice as many games in major-junior as he would at Boston College, and he can sign an entry-level contract with the Blue Jackets - along with a healthy signing bonus -- without having to worry about his NCAA eligibility.

The Whalers, meanwhile, have been trying to sweeten the pot for Milano and make his decision easier.

On Friday, they traded with Sudbury to acquire center Mathew Campagna, who had 59 assissts last season and is expected to play with Milano.

Milano was due to arrive at Boston College on Aug. 24. Now he's free to attend the annual prospect's camp in Traverse City, Mich., next month, as well as Blue Jackets training camp.

Milano, who had 14 goals, 25 assists and 21 penalty minutes in 25 games with the United States National Team Development program last season, did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

-- Aaron Portzline

• 7 months later...

I know this isn't a WHL thread but i thought this was interesting just as well...

Ryan Kennedy @THNRyanKennedy
Just talked to WHL commissioner Ron Robison; he had an interesting note - 20% of the kids in the league this year weren't drafted as bantams

• 1 month later...

The Windsor Spitfires went for size at yesterday's OHL draft. They selected mammoth defender Logan Stanley. Only 16, this kid is 6'6 and 209 pounds. Admittedly on the skinny side, but lots of time to fill out his frame. In the 5th round, the Spits made a splash by selecting 5'9 offensive dynamo Blake Coffey, Paul's son. They say he can run a pp in the OHL right now, so that will be fun to watch.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/04/05/spitfires-take-big-defenceman-stanley-in-first-round-of-ohl-draft/

Top 2016 prospect Tkachuk signs with London http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_blogs.htm?id=39633

Archived