Name a prospect you would like your team to trade for to fill an existing or upcoming hole

J0e Th0rnton

Figured since I did not get many responces on the "Name a prospect from your team" thread, I might throw out a different curve.

How about prospects or young players from other teams in the league you would love to trade for(Or throw an offer sheet at)? You can even throw a trade proposal in if you like, but make it realistic. No intra division trading of big name players between rivals, and no giving up a simple pick for a great prospect, etc(Although a Pick for a project prospect is likely). Realistic offer sheets only as well.

Like I said, it can fill an existing need, or a future need. Example, Dan Boyle's contract is up for the Sharks, and Demers IMO, is not going to fill his shoes. Demers might hold the number 1 Role for a half year, until they realize they NEED to groom someone else. I just do not see Demers ever reaching better than a #3 defenseman. He might hit better point totals if we do not have Boyle next year simply due to icetime attrition, but he is not going to be a #2 defenseman like Boyle. Just does not have the instincts.

For my Prospect I would love to see in Teal, I have been eyeing Ryan Ellis in the Nashville system. The kid has great offensive instincts. The problem is, on a team like Nashville, you do not get to show them often unless you are Weber. With the addition of Seth Jones, who looks like he could be another Weber in a few years, it is going to drastically cut down on PP time and offensive time for Ellis, and that is where he just shines. I think on a team like the Sharks,

Would Nashville give him up? Maybe. Would they match an offer sheet for him? Depends. Nashville is a very cheap team. But Doug Wilson threw a 3.5 million offer sheet at Hjarmalsson that Chicago matched a few years back. Matching it prevented them from resigning Niemi lol. Nashville has the cap space to easily match a San jose Offer sheet of 3.5 million(I doubt Ellis will get more), but will they when they have such a need for a star forward this offseason and have Weber/Jones eating up the PP time where Ellis shines? Watching Trotz trying to make Ellis something he is not is agonizing sometimes. The good news for Ellis is that Trotz is likely not getting a new contract. The bad news is Poile is still the GM, and no good free agent wants to play for Nashville anyways.

What a clusterF$^% Poile has been. Suter walked for nothing, and Weber signed an offer sheer to get out, only to have it matched.

If Doug Wilson did anything this offseason that would make me super Happy, it would be to throw an offer sheet at Ellis. I see a style in that kid that would fit right in on the Sharks. Sharks have 12.5 million in capspace. 5 Million more if they .....*are you listening Wilson?......BUY OUT HAVLAT'S LAST SEASON. That will give us a few more million to work with. Maybe you could use some of that money to sign a half decent winger not named useless Kennedy. In fact, there are a few decent wingers on the Market this season who might like to play for a Contender in Socal.

Wingels and Demers need extensions(And are likely going to get 2.5 - 3 million each) and we need a backup goalie, and a decision needs to be made on if you want Boyle back another year. Boyle stated he loves the team and would take a discount like Thornton did, but who knows. I hope you offer him 4.5 million for 1 year and he takes it. If he wants more, it is too much at this stage in the game.

Well the Wings have not got a blue liner with the possible exception of Kronwall who can run a power play, with all of the kid forwards we do not need help there so we could use a PP guy. Eric Gelinas would be my guy.

He put up some strange stats this year, but has 17 power play points among his 29 points scored. He has an obscenely low 20 blocks in 60 games, an almost impossibly low number for a d-man and the Devils actually sent him down to the AHL for awhile to correct his poor defensive play (I think I would block more than 20 shots on accident, he must be going ole and jumping out of the way is all I can think of) but they recalled him fairly soon because he runs the point like a ten year vet. I think the Wings could get his deficiencies corrected, I also think the Devils could use a solid young forward and would love to see him running the first team PP next year. A big guy, 6 foot 4 over two hundred pounds and only 22.

Well the Wings have not got a blue liner with the possible exception of Kronwall who can run a power play, with all of the kid forwards we do not need help there so we could use a PP guy. Eric Gelinas would be my guy.

He put up some strange stats this year, but has 17 power play points among his 29 points scored. He has an obscenely low 20 blocks in 60 games, an almost impossibly low number for a d-man and the Devils actually sent him down to the AHL for awhile to correct his poor defensive play (I think I would block more than 20 shots on accident, he must be going ole and jumping out of the way is all I can think of) but they recalled him fairly soon because he runs the point like a ten year vet. I think the Wings could get his deficiencies corrected, I also think the Devils could use a solid young forward and would love to see him running the first team PP next year. A big guy, 6 foot 4 over two hundred pounds and only 22.

20 shots blocked in 60 games? That is pretty dreadful for a defenseman.

20 shots blocked in 60 games? That is pretty dreadful for a defenseman.

hell that is pretty dreadful for a forward, lol.  the kid has a booming shot and pinches in and has size and quickness. He is just so raw and the Devils strike me as being a poor fit for his abilities. The Wings (or for that matter your Sharks) would do a great job of maximizing what this kid can do.

Watching Trotz trying to make Ellis something he is not is agonizing sometimes. The good news for Ellis is that Trotz is likely not getting a new contract. The bad news is Poile is still the GM, and no good free agent wants to play for Nashville anyways.

What a clusterF$^% Poile has been. Suter walked for nothing, and Weber signed an offer sheer to get out, only to have it matched.

Not to derail the thread (but will anyway), I think this is very far off base. The problem in Nashville is ownership and local corporate sponsorship. I do believe that with the addition of Brett Wilson as minority owner (5%) who has deep pockets it will get better. But the prior owner screwed the pooch on mismanaging funds that the Preds need to dig out from. So, while wilson is there with money, there is a responsibility to become fiscally sound first and foremost. 

I think Poile has been a tremendous GM given the monetary condition he has had to manage with. Regarding Trotz- same. I have utmost respect for both of them. I could cite MANY other GM / Coach tandems that are far worse than those two. If both were fired tomorrow, they would both have a job before the summer is over. 

Cheers. 

Not to derail the thread (but will anyway), I think this is very far off base. The problem in Nashville is ownership and local corporate sponsorship. I do believe that with the addition of Brett Wilson as minority owner (5%) who has deep pockets it will get better. But the prior owner screwed the pooch on mismanaging funds that the Preds need to dig out from. So, while wilson is there with money, there is a responsibility to become fiscally sound first and foremost. 

I think Poile has been a tremendous GM given the monetary condition he has had to manage with. Regarding Trotz- same. I have utmost respect for both of them. I could cite MANY other GM / Coach tandems that are far worse than those two. If both were fired tomorrow, they would both have a job before the summer is over. 

Cheers. 

I agree with Poille and Trotz, every year they are on the verge of being relevant in spite of having no limited finances and always being a forward or three short of a full deck. Honestly if Rinne had not went down they would be battling Dallas and Phoenix for a wildcard. The problem is they live on the razors edge. When Rinne went down they were unable to go add a real goalie and they instead watched the season go down the tubes with guys like Carter Hutton and Devan Dubnyuk manning the net. Frankly they were stuck between a rock and a hard place with both Suter and Weber and keeping one was the best they could have hoped for.

• Like 1