Lucic performing surgery...

Polaris922

The problem is, this is what will be shown on ESPN as a "highlight" since they don't care about hockey.   I guess a slot needs to be added to the wheel of justice, if its a bruin, skip it.

I have absolutely no reason to watch ESPN. Which reminds me....why do we have ESPN for the scores on this site when they don't give a rats ass about hockey?

Really? So having refs getting paid off is better? How about murderers and rapists as the athletes? Or half the roster on every team juiced up?

Sorry, I'll stick to hockey.

Yep and as I said 4th most popular at best. But great completely irrelevant point/argument.

Yep and as I said 4th most popular at best. But great completely irrelevant point/argument.

So the officials in one sport are relevant, but in another they aren't? And it's ok for the players in other sports to commit crimes far worse than what Lucic did cause those crimes are irrelevant when it comes to you watching the game? Just trying to figure out where you're coming from here.

So the officials in one sport are relevant, but in another they aren't? And it's ok for the players in other sports to commit crimes far worse than what Lucic did cause those crimes are irrelevant when it comes to you watching the game? Just trying to figure out where you're coming from here.

You know exactly where I'm coming from. You decided to take the road of they do worse things.

BTW the NHL has plenty of their own issues. They just better keeping it quiet.

You know exactly where I'm coming from. You decided to take the road of they do worse things.

BTW the NHL has plenty of their own issues. They just better keeping it quiet.

The road of they do worse things? (Is there a facepalm smiley?)

You're knocking a sport because of officiating. I compared another sports officiating, for one, that you just ignored. Or is that the road of OTHER officiating?

Just in case you missed it? ESPN has a Spanish channel. I'm pretty sure that's for viewing outside of the US?

OK,  sorry I made fun of your precious sports channel (that shows bowling, cricket, and cars going round and round and round over the worlds best sport) I know you're fairly new on here, but it's kind of a running joke that for a "sports" network they only show the bad side of hockey. And since I'm a fan, i really have no use for it when I can watch TSN carry ALL the sports I like.

Do they have a Mandarin channel? Cause if all those Chinese are watching (and they must be since only .01% of the worlds population doesn't  according to you) you'd think they'd want to understand what they're watching.

The road of they do worse things? (Is there a facepalm smiley?)

You're knocking a sport because of officiating. I compared another sports officiating, for one, that you just ignored. Or is that the road of OTHER officiating?

First off this was a LEAGUE office decision to do nothing on a blatant intent to injure. That's what I'm knocking. The league office is always saying we don't want this type stuff in our game. Yet the guy does twice in few weeks and gets nothing. How are they going to get a guy to stop if he knows nothing will happen?

OK,  sorry I made fun of your precious sports channel (that shows bowling, cricket, and cars going round and round and round over the worlds best sport) I know you're fairly new on here, but it's kind of a running joke that for a "sports" network they only show the bad side of hockey. And since I'm a fan, i really have no use for it when I can watch TSN carry ALL the sports I like.

So it's all about you? And heck with growing the game by cleaning it up and attracting a newer audience?

First off this was a LEAGUE office decision to do nothing on a blatant intent to injure. That's what I'm knocking. The league office is always saying we don't want this type stuff in our game. Yet the guy does twice in few weeks and gets nothing. How are they going to get a guy to stop if he knows nothing will happen?

OK, I asked where you were coming from (thinking you were blaming poor officiating and I gave you an example of officials flat out cheating) but you're talking the league office. Fair enough, and if you read my previous post I said he should have been suspended for his earlier offence and 5 games for this one.

So it's all about you? And heck with growing the game by cleaning it up and attracting a newer audience?

It's not all about me, I just find it hilarious that ESPN considers hockey on the equivalent of tiddly -winks yet we use them for our scores on this board.

So when does football clean up their game? When does basketball clean up their game?

OK, I asked where you were coming from (thinking you were blaming poor officiating and I gave you an example of officials flat out cheating) but you're talking the league office. Fair enough, and if you read my previous post I said he should have been suspended for his earlier offence and 5 games for this one.

It's not all about me, I just find it hilarious that ESPN considers hockey on the equivalent of tiddly -winks yet we use them for our scores on this board.

So when does football clean up their game? When does basketball clean up their game?

Have you seen the money generated in the NFL and the NBA? They don't need to attract new fans. You do realize the revenue sharing in the NFL covers the whole salary cap of each team.

Listen all I'm saying is allowing that type to a play to exist in the NHL does nothing but continue to hurt the imagine of an already unpopular sport. Nothing more nothing less.

@Old School Hockey

First of all this disagreement started with me misunderstanding your post (which i asked you to explain) and that was my mistake.

Soccer generates a ton of money. So does Nascar. I don't care. I'd rather watch tykes play hockey.

I already said he should have been suspended. I hate the way the NHL front office is run when it comes to discipline. But are other leagues really any better?

You've got a murderer being held up as a Super Bowl hero, Juiced up baseball players. I won't even get into some of the basketball thugs. All sports have their issues. Hockeys biggest is that it wasn't played much in the lower states. That's changing. I personally don't care if it grows any bigger. I'll like it just as much if there's 16 teams...if not more.

I am surprised it did not remind you of Crosbys nut sack punch from behind. 

Rick? Is that you?

B-b-b-b-b-b-b the Pens?

Actually it reminded me more of some of Briere's stick work. ;)

Rick? Is that you?

B-b-b-b-b-b-b the Pens?

Actually it reminded me more of some of Briere's stick work. ;)

Thread started about Lucic.

Flyer fans are unanimous it doesn't belong in hockey.

Pen fan brings up Hartnell.

Pen fan brings up poor Crosby.

Flyer fan responds to Hartnell comment.

B-b-b-ut the Pens. :blink:

Do they have a Mandarin channel? Cause if all those Chinese are watching (and they must be since only .01% of the worlds population doesn't  according to you) you'd think they'd want to understand what they're watching.

OK, let's remember that (I think) we are all in agreement about what the best sport is. That established and assumed, please remember why ESPN dropped hockey. It was not primarily because of the violence. It was not primarily because of the fighting. It was not primarily because of the officiating. It certainly was not primarily because of the game itself. It was because RERUNS of the World Series of Poker were getting higher ratings than live NHL games! As far as numbers of fans worldwide (at least as far as ESPN viewership goes), let's face it even poker wins as far as popularity goes. ESPN isn't trying to convince people that hockey is irrelevant by dropping the sport and focusing on other "sports" (very loosely interpreted). They are responding to their viewership. If hockey viewership has a resurgence, ESPN will be back. But we are now competing against the behemoth that is the NFL. The NHL can't win that one. Not without changing how NHL leadership leads.

@Old School Hockey

First of all this disagreement started with me misunderstanding your post (which i asked you to explain) and that was my mistake.

Soccer generates a ton of money. So does Nascar. I don't care. I'd rather watch tykes play hockey.

I already said he should have been suspended. I hate the way the NHL front office is run when it comes to discipline. But are other leagues really any better?

You've got a murderer being held up as a Super Bowl hero, Juiced up baseball players. I won't even get into some of the basketball thugs. All sports have their issues. Hockeys biggest is that it wasn't played much in the lower states. That's changing. I personally don't care if it grows any bigger. I'll like it just as much if there's 16 teams...if not more.

Ok now we are on the same page. Personally I could not care less if the league grows too. But as long as the stupid leadership of the league keeps trying they need to help it out. And turning a blind eye when they know it's going to be plastered on the news is not helping it out. That crap needs to be washed out growth or not!

I know that 10 teams carry the revenue load of the NHL and those teams don't need to grow in their markets. But as long as the league keeps putting teams in stupid markets they need to please the new fans.

Thread started about Lucic.

Flyer fans are unanimous it doesn't belong in hockey.

Pen fan brings up Hartnell.

Pen fan brings up poor Crosby.

Flyer fan responds to Hartnell comment.

B-b-b-ut the Pens. :blink:

Well I would have mentioned the Hartnell spear/fine in the thread about it....if there was one.  Oddly (?), the 7,543 Flyers fan here missed that one. :ph34r:

And lest we forget, the Pens fans get reminded of their team's transgressions on a regular basis...in just about any thread on any topic by any number of posters. ;)

So mentioning a similar incident by Hartnell resulting in an identical fine really ins't that off topic.

OK, let's remember that (I think) we are all in agreement about what the best sport is. That established and assumed, please remember why ESPN dropped hockey. It was not primarily because of the violence. It was not primarily because of the fighting. It was not primarily because of the officiating. It certainly was not primarily because of the game itself. It was because RERUNS of the World Series of Poker were getting higher ratings than live NHL games! As far as numbers of fans worldwide (at least as far as ESPN viewership goes), let's face it even poker wins as far as popularity goes. ESPN isn't trying to convince people that hockey is irrelevant by dropping the sport and focusing on other "sports" (very loosely interpreted). They are responding to their viewership. If hockey viewership has a resurgence, ESPN will be back. But we are now competing against the behemoth that is the NFL. The NHL can't win that one. Not without changing how NHL leadership leads.

This.  ESPN doesn't care why people aren't watching hockey.  They just know they aren't.  The why is a whole other debate.

Great points. That's exactly what I've been trying to say. I'm just not as good of a wordsmith as you are. Lol

Ok now we are on the same page. Personally I could not care less if the league grows too. But as long as the stupid leadership of the league keeps trying they need to help it out. And turning a blind eye when they know it's going to be plastered on the news is not helping it out. That crap needs to be washed out growth or not!

Agree. We've been discussing this for years, whether it was Campbell, or Shanahan. When the latter joined the Leafs I mentioned it would be nice to hire someone without an NHL affiliation.

I know that 10 teams carry the revenue load of the NHL and those teams don't need to grow in their markets. But as long as the league keeps putting teams in stupid markets they need to please the new fans.

Yip.

And again, I took your post as saying you were done with hockey. After I re-read it- it made more sense. My apologies.

Agree. We've been discussing this for years, whether it was Campbell, or Shanahan. When the latter joined the Leafs I mentioned it would be nice to hire someone without an NHL affiliation.

Yip.

And again, I took your post as saying you were done with hockey. After I re-read it- it made more sense. My apologies.

All is good!