Our youth

caluso

Speaking for myself regarding B Schenn, I don't think he's a bust, I want more production from him and think that after nearly 200 NHL games we should be seeing a more complete and consistent player...and we are not. I like him and see his potential we should start to "realize" that potential any minute now.

Production wise he's ahead of many from his draft class/age group, but he is not looking like the "best player not in the NHL" labeled guy we traded our team's best hockey player for.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't think he's a bust by any means. He's still very young. 

That being said, I'm disappointed. I thought we were getting a special player. From his draft class, the forwards drafted above him have predictably done well (Duchene, Tavares, Kane). But there are some drafted later that have surpassed him. Guys like Kadri and Johansson in the 1st round, and Ryan O'Reilly in the 2nd. Craig Smith in Nashville (4th round). I know that always happens, and drafting is not an exact science, but as you say, for the "best player not in the NHL", he's looking more like Dopita than Tavares.

Ok, maybe not that bad, but you get my point :)

Just let them develop and play as a group for 3-4 years.  Let them learn together.  

B.Schenn is 22!  People are already calling him a bust.   

Is it going to take 50 years for fans to learn?

Isn't that you on the other thread saying the "old" guys aren't working so they "may as well" try throwing Laughton to the wolves??

Jus' sayin'

we don't have enough dynamic offensive players. after voracek and giroux, who do we have?

as i posted elsewhere, we have 2/3 of a top line - and that simply won't cut it.

i think that the flyers roster needs a dramatic influx of talent - and not just on the backline.

unfortunately, Gomer is still in charge, so he will probably trade for the sedin twins. it's not like he has an actual plan: see the VLC signing, which

still gnaws at me! why sign that bum when we were in dire need of help on the back end and our roster was already filled with centermen.

sorry, i am venting...

it is hard to see the forest for the trees right now, but Rad makes a good point. These guys are mostly still very young. I think our core is pretty good and *should* get better with more experience. It's frustratingly slow... for us, but if the Flyers *really* wanna do something different.... they'll let them develop together. 

But, we're basically then saying that no one gets moved for upgrades on D. So we circle back again to our biggest problem right now.... the D. We're still haunted by the loss of Pronger and there's really no way to fix this fast. 

it is hard to see the forest for the trees right now, but Rad makes a good point. These guys are mostly still very young. I think our core is pretty good and *should* get better with more experience. It's frustratingly slow... for us, but if the Flyers *really* wanna do something different.... they'll let them develop together. 

Yeah, this is what growing pains look like. It ain't fun... and these are not even bad compared to so many other teams. They get pains without the growth, lol! Imagine if you paid good money to attend Oilers games on a regular basis! What a joke that organization has become.

But, we're basically then saying that no one gets moved for upgrades on D. So we circle back again to our biggest problem right now.... the D. We're still haunted by the loss of Pronger and there's really no way to fix this fast. 

That's not necessarily true. What if you could move a veteran, a young player, and/or a pick for a top pairing defenseman? I know what you're saying, and I think that options for improvement on defense are limited mostly to getting rid of some of the dead weight we have now through retirement and trades (Kimmo and Nicklas, anyone?), and start putting faith in our young guys like Lauridsen for 5/6 defenseman, see what Ghost can do. Alt might be ready for a 2nd/3rd pairing role. 

At the end of the day, though, it will probably get worse before it gets better on defense. And that's where I'm not sure the Flyers will show patience.

Streit/Coburn

MacD/Schenn

Lauridsen/Alt

Can you imagine that as a top 6? That would be all kinds of nasty and definitely worse than this year. But it might be a necessary step.

Yeah, this is what growing pains look like. It ain't fun... and these are not even bad compared to so many other teams. They get pains without the growth, lol! Imagine if you paid good money to attend Oilers games on a regular basis! What a joke that organization has become.

That's not necessarily true. What if you could move a veteran, a young player, and/or a pick for a top pairing defenseman? I know what you're saying, and I think that options for improvement on defense are limited mostly to getting rid of some of the dead weight we have now through retirement and trades (Kimmo and Nicklas, anyone?), and start putting faith in our young guys like Lauridsen for 5/6 defenseman, see what Ghost can do. Alt might be ready for a 2nd/3rd pairing role. 

At the end of the day, though, it will probably get worse before it gets better on defense. And that's where I'm not sure the Flyers will show patience.

Streit/Coburn

MacD/Schenn

Lauridsen/Alt

Can you imagine that as a top 6? That would be all kinds of nasty and definitely worse than this year. But it might be a necessary step.

Couldn't agree more... I'm preparing myself for a step back as early as next season. But, I'll be ok with it to see some of young blood come up on D. 

And our team speed is really not so great. I hope for all our sake that the young D develop.

Watching Minny - Colorado , I agree on speed. I also think that we all have to agree that we are not a SC challenging team this year. We got disillusioned by the surge from november through january. But the reality is that we have holes. Not blow up the team holes, but holes none the less. At least one of those holes is not goaltending.