Bruins resign Torey Krug and Reilly Smith 1 year, 1.4 mill each

J0e Th0rnton

Wonder what kind of back room promises they took to land on a 1 year deal that low?

Yeah, you have to figure they have been promised a big make up deal next year when the B's have less cap trouble. On the open market I would see them both getting 2.5-3 million a year easily enough, albeit I appreciate they were RFA's.

Yeah, you have to figure they have been promised a big make up deal next year when the B's have less cap trouble. On the open market I would see them both getting 2.5-3 million a year easily enough, albeit I appreciate they were RFA's.

Krug was a key component of their PP, which surprised te heck out of me. But 40 points for a defenseman is worth a lot more than it used to be.

And Smith, well. 20 goals, 51 points.

Even as RFA's, with the cap being what it is, I think both could get way more than 2.5-3.

The Bruins are still over the cap even with the cap friendly signings by Krug and Smith.

Boychuk looks to be the man on trading block as his cap hit is 3.336M.

Rumors yesterday speculated on Boychuk being traded to the Islanders who have 10M in cap space, but would the Islanders be a team on Boychuk's NTC list?

Previous trade rumors included Adam McQuaid with a cap hit of  1.55M being offered to the Redwings, McQuaid lacks a NTC and is the more likely of the two to be traded.  

Is trading McQuaid enough?

Ahhhh, I did not know the 2 signings actually make the Bruins cap compliant. I had forgot about Marc Savard's 4 mill going on the long term IR. They are cutting it close, with a half mill or so, but are under once Marc is placed on IR. Still think we see a move to give Chicareli some wiggle room....but now there is no hurry.

Subban in 82 gp  10 g  43 a  53 pts  -4  4pp

Krug  79 games  14  26 a 40 pts +18  6pp

Krug is on the pp and the pk  plus takes a regular shift..

Subban  plays the pp but does not kill penalties

Subban is a gifted playmaker, but when he carries the puck he often does bone headed things and gives it away plus misses many of his checks and is out of position, 9 million dollars???? A -4  plus minus rating says it all.

Krug is fast,, accurate shot and rarely makes bad plays. His checking is soso. A nice plus 18 rating,  Very much a bargain at 1,4

Over 7 million dollar difference in these 2 players is laughable. Krug did only sign for one year though.

Archived