Hey Hey Hockeytown!

WingNut722

Welcome to another season of Red Wings hockey!

And what a great way to kick that season off with a fantastic win over the Bruins!  Minus Daniel Alfredsson and minus Pavel Datsyuk, the Red Wings dominated the play for just about the entire game.  It took a a few minutes (and a beauty of a goal by Bergeron) for the Wings to get their sea legs again, but once they did they were off an running. 

Johan Franzen was all over the ice, no longer looking like the lumbering dump truck of season's past.  He has admitted in the offseason that he's capable of better play and it looks like he's shown it.  Jimmy Howard was outstanding!  Flashing leather hear, there,and everywhere to rob some sweet Boston chances and keep the Wings in it.  

This is an extremely encouraging win that the Wings truly needed.  Nevermind the media hype about a rematch of last year's Quarterfinals.  They had a lot of questions in their heads all summer long and they're starting to get answered very quickly.  

They looked great.  They looked excited.  They looked ready

Hockey's back!

Jimmy Howard looked like the Howard of two years ago. Brendan Smith other than a stupid slashing penalty against Kelly played a heck of a game.

Bergeron, injuries and all was the best player on the ice last night, by far.

Tatar last year was a crash the net guy, last night he was to cute, he kep taking the puck to the corner looking to pass. Hopefully it was a one game aberration.

Overall i was very pleased with the team effort!

So what's the betting for the Leafs-Wings back to back this weekend?

A spankin', or a split?

A split. Ugly hockey on both of their ends Hopefully 3 points each.

I always watch players from other teams, last game i studied Lindholm, the fine young Lidstromesque d-man for the Ducks, he is so smooth!!

Still trying to figure out what Leaf to study for the home and home. Suggestions?

Well, @yave1964 , if you want to see how well the Leafs will shape up defensively, perhaps a look at Roman Polak, Jake Gardiner, or Stuart Percy would be in order?

Polak was supposed to help stabilize the D as far as being a bit more airtight (yea, I know, hasn't happened yet), Jake Gardiner is supposed to be taking steps to get to that 'next tier' of overall defensive play, and Stuart Percy, is said by some Leafs fans, to have been the best of the lot to this point in the early season.

@yave1964

Deal.

As for studying a player, as @TropicalFruitGirl26 mentioned, the Percinator is drawing a lot of attention.

Other interesting candidates would be Leo Komarov in his 3 million dollar return, or Daniel Winnik - the grinder being played with Lupul and Kadri to balance their high octane offense.

Morgan Rielly could be a fun one, too, as the attention slides a little away from him towards Percy.

@Commander Clueless@TropicalFruitGirl26

I think i will pay a great deal of attention to Komarov during the home and home. When he came back all the Leaf nation seemed thrilled that the hard hitter was returning, frankly i didn't know that much about him, lol. Stat wise he seems to have gotten off to a good start, i will pay attention to him when he hits the ice, see why all the sound and fury.

@Commander Clueless@TropicalFruitGirl26

I think i will pay a great deal of attention to Komarov during the home and home. When he came back all the Leaf nation seemed thrilled that the hard hitter was returning, frankly i didn't know that much about him, lol. Stat wise he seems to have gotten off to a good start, i will pay attention to him when he hits the ice, see why all the sound and fury.

Not a bad choice to look at, Yave.

Thing is, Komarov never was, and likely won't ever be a "stat worthy" player....unless you want to track the amount of ungodly hits he usually puts on opposing players.

Most of his value is tied up in attitude, agitation, the aforementioned checking, goal prevention (as in PK) and just a manner about him that MAKES other teams aware that he is on the ice. And he is a pretty decent FO guy as well.

And sure, you can say "well, lots of players hit and agitate", and that would be true, but I believe Komarov is the type of player that has damn near perfected that to the point where he very often DOESN'T take penalties as he goes about his shenanigans....yet manages somehow, to draw others into penalties...even some of the other team's more "disciplined" players!

And now he is often lined up with Mike Santorelli and David Clarkson, and that just makes what Leo does even MORE effective as Santorelli can be quite a checker and irritant himself, and Clarkson, well, we all know that at his best, he does all that, plus drops the gloves and can score if given the opportunity.

Certainly won't be dull studying ol Leo, yave...  :)

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I love those types, Vladimir Sobotka formerly of the Blues, currently in the KHL is one of my favorites all time, i love the guys without big stat lines who do the little things. Boyd Gordon of Edmonton, great faceoff guy, seemed to live inside of Datsyuk's jersey when he played for the 'Yotes and the two teams would meet. Grinders. Guys who can take your top line and totally silence them. I have fond memories of the Wings famed grind line, Maltby, Draper and McCarty. Guyd like that are my favorites.

I watched Lindholm for Anaheim the other night in the Wings/Ducks game. As a teenager last year he was plus 29 with 30 points. He is still not old enough to drink, but man is he smooth on the back end. The kid is going to the Hall of Fame barring injury, the Ducks have Vatanen and Fowler back there as well, threeyoung kids who make them the envy of the league, but Lindholm is special. If you everget a chance to watch him, do so. I know i don't stay up til 2am watching hockey, but in the Ducks games i have watched i can never remember the kid being out of position and his offensive upside is enormous.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

My 13 year old daughters favorite player is Dubinsky of the Jackets. She loves the guy, she already has an autographed jersey which she wears. She says the reason she prefers him to Johanson is Dubinsky does all the little things. Shows that I am raising her to watch the game the right way, lol.....

Archived