2014-2015 Whipping Post

Vanflyer

I figured Umberger would be a bit of a downgrade but that the two year gain in bad contracts would make up for it.

it's going to be a looooong 3 years.

There is still plenty of time but he appears more on the downside of his career right now than VLC.

At least Hartnell brought something to the team. 2 years longer or not...

I couldn't care less about Umberger, but if you want a rebuild, decisions must be made. That includes trading off two years of salary, and the contract count for those years, to make space for someone else. It isn't ideal, but with long term perspective, it's a good move.

It isn't ideal, but with long term perspective, it's a good move.

I disagree. Picks would be good move for hartnell at the trade deadling. Shedding two years is BS. The 4.6M dollars of savings can not be realized until 2017-2018 season. So, we are going to rebuild for 3 years??

Wrap your head around this: VLC and Umby account for 15% of the flyers salary cap. Almost 1/4 of the teams salary cap is tied up in two waste of space players.

I am happy for Hartnell, because he does not have to endure this stinking turd of a team and is going to be an integral part of Columbus and make it to the playoffs.

Well, no one is taking the contract for free. Hexy did what he could. Also, NHL prospects take years to develop, so three years doesn't seem out of place.

I'm done with this, as we will never agree. I'm very firmly in favor of shedding years, while maintaining something had to come back to make a real life trade.

Small chance the trade deadline unloads VLC, but I anticipate it'll be a similar deal.

The problem is for those 3 years one will be a productive player and one will be someone that is nowhere to be seen on the ice.

Have we forgotten how bad Hartnell looked for long stretches on the TOP line? No one here will feel bad about burying Umberger.

Also, I'm very sure Hartnell will regress extremely fast.

I'm done with this, as we will never agree. I'm very firmly in favor of shedding years, while maintaining something had to come back to make a real life trade.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Its just a discussion. You have your perspective and I have mine. You like the two less years and I don't. Nothing more, nothing less. Neither of us have a crystal ball,  yet I would like to think that Hartnell could have garnered a second round draft pick at the trade deadline this year. You state that we have to take on salary to move Hartnell and I disagree.

The funniest part of this dialogue is that you mention 3 years down the road. Had the Flyers kept hartnell and traded him at the deadline for a 2nd round pick, 3 years down the road is exactly what that would have meant (with a nice fresh young player, not a 30 something turd)- plus saving 4.5m in cap space. Instead, we get the enjoyment of watching that slug skate around for the next three years.

At a minimum, we have to agree that it was a bad trade despite the two years. Umberger is horrible. Christ, he is slower than VLC (if that is even possible). He doesn't hit anymore. So what is he good for?? Absolutely nothing. Even at a minimum, Hartnell was a leader on the Flyers and kept the team loose. That is exactly what they need now. Someone to keep them loose. I love G., but he is not the one to do it. There is nobody in the room to lighten the boys up to relax. These are the intangible that Hartnell brings. Slow of foot, sure (not as slow as Umberger). 20-25 g, leader, hits, plays in the dirty areas.

10 more lashes for Hextall on this trade.

Cheers

VF

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Its just a discussion. You have your perspective and I have mine. You like the two less years and I don't. Nothing more, nothing less. Neither of us have a crystal ball, yet I would like to think that Hartnell could have garnered a second round draft pick at the trade deadline this year. You state that we have to take on salary to move Hartnell and I disagree.

The funniest part of this dialogue is that you mention 3 years down the road. Had the Flyers kept hartnell and traded him at the deadline for a 2nd round pick, 3 years down the road is exactly what that would have meant (with a nice fresh young player, not a 30 something turd)- plus saving 4.5m in cap space. Instead, we get the enjoyment of watching that slug skate around for the next three years.

At a minimum, we have to agree that it was a bad trade despite the two years. Umberger is horrible. Christ, he is slower than VLC (if that is even possible). He doesn't hit anymore. So what is he good for?? Absolutely nothing. Even at a minimum, Hartnell was a leader on the Flyers and kept the team loose. That is exactly what they need now. Someone to keep them loose. I love G., but he is not the one to do it. There is nobody in the room to lighten the boys up to relax. These are the intangible that Hartnell brings. Slow of foot, sure (not as slow as Umberger). 20-25 g, leader, hits, plays in the dirty areas.

10 more lashes for Hextall on this trade.

Cheers

VF

No need to make it personal, I was getting out of a conversation headed nowhere.

No need to make it personal, I was getting out of a conversation headed nowhere.

"I was getting out of a conversation headed nowhere"

So you mean you gave up on your argument and just agreed with me? :-)

It wasn't personal at all. Cheers and carry on.

Archived