2014-2015 Whipping Post

Vanflyer

I thought I would make this easier for us all. Tie 'em up fellas and let the lashings begin!

My first whipping post is the effing Hartnell-Hambuglar trade:

Here is Hextall:

“Actually, I talked to (Hartnell’s) agent originally, and I wasn’t shopping Scott Hartnell,” Hextall said. “What happened there was when I was circling around with the other (general) managers, I just said, ‘We need some cap relief here, so if you can think of anything let me know.’ And Columbus ended up coming pretty hard after Scott."

And, just as predicted, Umberger is just as slow as VLC. Meanwhile, Hartnell is plying his trade in Columbus- banging bodies, collecting junk and creating space for his team-mates.

Hextall and Umby are on the whipping post for this (more Hexy, because its not Umbergers fault that he is what he is).

I'm not too worked up about this trade. In 2-3 years I think Hartnell's contract will be bad and difficult to get rid of, though he is currently a better player than Umberger. Bringing in Umberger was a salary dump in the future. I didn't (and don't) expect the Flyers to compete for the Cup this year in any meaningful sense. However, apparently to their shock, the Flyers now find that they don't have a scoring LW for their top line (leaving out the discussion of whether they might want to stop jiggling with everything for more than three shifts for other threads). Like him or not, Hartnell filled that role adequately. What we have currently isn't even that, and there's nothing on the farm, either.

I'm not too worked up about this trade. In 2-3 years I think Hartnell's contract will be bad and difficult to get rid of, though he is currently a better player than Umberger.

Perhaps. But for me. dollars for donuts, the two additional years on hartnells contract at the same cost as Umberger, I would have just have preferred to trade Hartnell for pics. Umberger is meaningless to this team. That was my point.

Really, we shed cap 4 years from now?? If cap relief was the plan, then just trade Hartnell for picks. Columbus is not cap strapped.

No argument there, I would have preferrred to make a few pure salary dumps this offseason for picks, though Hartnell wasn't in my top 2 or 3. I honestly thought the Flyers might just buy out Umberger immediately after the trade, it would have saved 3 million a season over the life of Hartnell's contract, then been a "hit" for one more year.

I honestly thought the Flyers might just buy out Umberger immediately after the trade, it would have saved 3 million a season over the life of Hartnell's contract, then been a "hit" for one more year.

Yuuuuuuuuupppppppp.

No argument there

All that said, while the Flyers wallow in the mire, Columbus is my next favorite team. Fly boys will always be number one, but I love the Columbus team. I think Bobs is going to get his 1st full season vezina and the Jackets are going to make it to the second round if not further. John Davidson is not an idiot and was the FIRST smartest thing that Columbus ever did in hiring him.

Really, we shed cap 4 years from now?? If cap relief was the plan, then just trade Hartnell for picks. Columbus is not cap strapped.
i feel columbus didn't want to pay 4.5per for a popcorn passer. look umberger is not bure but he's not a pylon either

look umberger is not bure but he's not a pylon either

Yes he is. Mark my words. 15 points on the season. He will play 10 min a night, pot a goal and assist here and there and end up with 5g and 10 a (half secondary) and a -5.

Yum yum for 4.5 to shed two years of 4.5 4 years from now.

Yes he is. Mark my words. 15 points on the season. He will play 10 min a night, pot a goal and assist here and there and end up with 5g and 10 a (half secondary) and a -5.

are you channeling your inner AZIZ......on the stat sheet other then hartnells one career year they both are similar..look i like hartnell save the constant falling down and the carbomb like stupid penalties, but he will never live up to that contract and getting out of it 2 years earlier i'm ok with.  this team is going no where this year anyway and a sick part of me actually wants them to stink bad enough to get one of the top 2 picks..if for no other reason to piss rick off ( :ph34r: )

I couldn't disagree more.

Talk to us in march or April.

Umberger won't be lighting any lamps much, but he's gone a lot sooner them Scotty.

Columbus made better decisions over the last three years and homer made crappy ones.

That's the diff. Hexy just cut one of homers bad calls short.

I thought I would make this easier for us all. Tie 'em up fellas and let the lashings begin!

My first whipping post is the effing Hartnell-Hambuglar trade:

Here is Hextall:

“Actually, I talked to (Hartnell’s) agent originally, and I wasn’t shopping Scott Hartnell,” Hextall said. “What happened there was when I was circling around with the other (general) managers, I just said, ‘We need some cap relief here, so if you can think of anything let me know.’ And Columbus ended up coming pretty hard after Scott."

And, just as predicted, Umberger is just as slow as VLC. Meanwhile, Hartnell is plying his trade in Columbus- banging bodies, collecting junk and creating space for his team-mates.

Hextall and Umby are on the whipping post for this (more Hexy, because its not Umbergers fault that he is what he is).

.look i like hartnell save the constant falling down and the carbomb like stupid penalties, but he will never live up to that contract and getting out of it 2 years earlier i'm ok with.

For me, I keep hartnell and eat the last two years. We are desperate for a banging dirty left winger. Umby is nice in his versatility, but like I said, dollar for doughnuts, this team is better with Hartnell v. Umberger- at least in the value proposition sense. (oh and did I mention the looking glass? that will be the Flyers on the outside while hartnell is wreaking havoc on the inside). I guess it is what it is.

For me, I keep hartnell and eat the last two years. We are desperate for a banging dirty left winger. Umby is nice in his versatility, but like I said, dollar for doughnuts, this team is better with Hartnell v. Umberger- at least in the value proposition sense.

Today, yes. On average over the next 3 to 5 years? Doubt it.

Perhaps. But for me. dollars for donuts, the two additional years on hartnells contract at the same cost as Umberger, I would have just have preferred to trade Hartnell for pics. Umberger is meaningless to this team. That was my point.

This horse is dead..............let it lye.

Today, yes. On average over the next 3 to 5 years? Doubt it.

I would rather see Hatnell grow grey her than Hambuglar. It will be fun watching hertsy bangin away in the first two rounds while Umby and the rest of the flyers are eating chips and pretests.

I would rather see Hatnell grow grey her than Hambuglar. It will be fun watching hertsy bangin away in the first two rounds while Umby and the rest of the flyers are eating chips and pretests.

Are you high?

I posted in another thread that it is like Umberger is not even on the Team. Talk about uninspired play from a veteran. He has shown nothing so far but it is a long season... I hope he is not a minus player at the end of the year bc otherwise he is worse for this team than anyone could have imagined.

Are you high?

Well, I am on the second floor of my townhouse if thats what you mean.

I take it you like Hamburlgar? And yes, Columbus will make it to the 2nd round this year and will be watching it while the Fly boys are golfing.

I get the 2 years subtraction of contract, but I would have just preferred to keep those two years for what you get in return. Just to be hypocrite, i reserve the right that had hartnell stayed, to piss and  moan those last two years about what an albatross that contract is.

I hope he is not a minus player at the end of the year bc otherwise he is worse for this team than anyone could have imagined.

What is it about his current -5 gives you hope that he will not be a minus at the end of the year? :ph34r:

10 more lashes on the post to Hextall for that dumb ass move.

van, all of the hartnell haters claimed RJ would bring skating, defense and less penalties... At this rate he may never be penalized bc he is NEVER near a play...

He is NOT faster than Hartnell and right now he is by far the worst defensive forward on the team.

van, all of the hartnell haters claimed RJ would bring skating, defense and less penalties... At this rate he may never be penalized bc he is NEVER near a play...

He is NOT faster than Hartnell and right now he is by far the worst defensive forward on the team.

I could not have said it better myself.

I think people that thought this was a good move were reminiscing about the Umberger that we traded to Columbus, not the Umberger of a current day. Great move by Columbus. Crappy move by Hextall- regardless of cap hit stuff (and that was the ONLY reason why the move was made).

Truth be told (and mind you I am in the front of the VLC hate bandwagon), I would not even do VLC for Umberger. I would just as soon rather do it for picks. Particularly this year with such a deep draft. If you want to dump cap, fine, i get it. But this was dumping cap 4 years from now. I mean WTF? Why pull the trigger so hastily and particularly for that garbage?  Just think what we could have got for Hartnell at the trade deadline.  Boggles the mind.

Now the Flyers have a gaping hole for a scoring LW. They added deadwood LW checking center that does effing nothing other than be a liability. A freaking ghost out there. I am sure Berube mutters small talk at the wall when passing Hextall in the hallways re: umberger.

I personally don't care that we won't be good for another 2-3 years. I get that we need to wade out the time of the Homer trash. But if we are not going to be good, lets not add fuel to the fire of stink. Thats what this move was.

I figured Umberger would be a bit of a downgrade but that the two year gain in bad contracts would make up for it.

it's going to be a looooong 3 years.

I would have preferred not to make the salary dump at the left wing position, rather say............I don't know......center??  But it is what it is.... However, LW really needs to be attended to, they have to find someone who can create chemistry on that 1st line.

Archived