Stars' Nemeth out for season with arm laceration

Vanflyer

They make Cut Resistant (Kevlar) socks and lower body undergarments. They need to make them for upper body, also. And players need to wear the stuff!
Agree With This

Who was that goalie in the 80's (I think) that got cut in the jugular by a skate? 

I have a 3" scar on my thigh from getting cut from a skate (blocking a shot and the player just nicked me- between the shin guard and pants). 

Who was that goalie in the 80's (I think) that got cut in the jugular by a skate? 

I have a 3" scar on my thigh from getting cut from a skate (blocking a shot and the player just nicked me- between the shin guard and pants).

That was Clint Malarchuk. I believe Hockey Canada requires all youth hockey players to wear a neck guard to prevent the neck lacerations.

I wear the Kevlar socks when I play. They're a little thicker than the "silkies" I used to wear, but I gain a little piece of mind with them,

Wow, out for the season? Why so long? What happens with an arm laceration?

@brelic,

All the tendons the control the flexing of your fingers and hand run on the inner side of your forearm.  Down at the bottom of the forearm there is no meat to protect those tendons, arteries, and veins.  That's right where he got cut...right above the cuff of the glove. 

From the Stars website:

The Dallas defenseman underwent surgery on Sunday. Ruff said he couldn’t go into detail on the damage but said it was significant.

“I think it involved everything,” Ruff said. “When I said severe that was probably an understatement. I don’t want to go into detail because I don’t know exactly, but it involves everything. First and foremost, I hope for his sake that it is a full recovery.”

From the Stars website:

The Dallas defenseman underwent surgery on Sunday. Ruff said he couldn’t go into detail on the damage but said it was significant.

“I think it involved everything,” Ruff said. “When I said severe that was probably an understatement. I don’t want to go into detail because I don’t know exactly, but it involves everything. First and foremost, I hope for his sake that it is a full recovery.”

I had no idea it could be that serious. Thanks for that, AFF.

Skates are like a hot knife going through butter. Its actually pretty surprising that there are not more incidents involving skate injuries.

It won't be easy for him to recover from and make it back to the NHL. Just ask Erik Wellwood. His injury was to his lower leg but you have the same kind of deal down there as you do on the lower forearm. Not a lot of meat there.

There was another player that received a cut like this on his wrist 12 or 13 yrs ago (Derek Plante maybe?). He made it back but not for long. I remember hearing he had nerve damage and couldn't feel the stick.

Archived