Demers and a pick shipped to Dallas for Brendan Dillon

yave1964

The Jason Demers era ended in San Jose today, he was shipped to Dallas along with a third rounder for Brendan Dillon.

Our Joe Thornton will tell you that Demers has taken a step back after having a solid season last year, he has fallen into disfavor but has some offensive ability. But so far this year he has only managed 3 assists so far in 20 games and has looked tentative the few times I watched him play.

Dillon for his part has only 1 assist so far this year but he has some untapped offensive ability and is a hitter to boot. He had a particularly difficult contract negotiation with GM Jim Nill this offseason and after a slow start a move to another organization seemed in order.

My opinion is the Sharks won the deal, I like Dillon, think Brad Stuart when Stuart could still play. Demers to me has always struck me as a bit lost at times. It is not often that you see two players who play the same position traded even up for each other by contenders but it happened here. A needed change of scenery for both, kind of a strange deal as the Sharks even kept 35 percent of Demers salary for the final two years of the deal. Personally, I would take Dillon any day of the week over Demers, I guess the third rounder offsets the salary being eaten.

The Jason Demers era ended in San Jose today, he was shipped to Dallas along with a third rounder for Brendan Dillon.

Our Joe Thornton will tell you that Demers has taken a step back after having a solid season last year, he has fallen into disfavor but has some offensive ability. But so far this year he has only managed 3 assists so far in 20 games and has looked tentative the few times I watched him play.

Dillon for his part has only 1 assist so far this year but he has some untapped offensive ability and is a hitter to boot. He had a particularly difficult contract negotiation with GM Jim Nill this offseason and after a slow start a move to another organization seemed in order.

My opinion is the Sharks won the deal, I like Dillon, think Brad Stuart when Stuart could still play. Demers to me has always struck me as a bit lost at times. It is not often that you see two players who play the same position traded even up for each other by contenders but it happened here. A needed change of scenery for both, kind of a strange deal as the Sharks even kept 35 percent of Demers salary for the final two years of the deal. Personally, I would take Dillon any day of the week over Demers, I guess the third rounder offsets the salary being eaten.

I actually love this trade. Demers was only effective when paired with Vlasic. With irwin or Hannan he has been subpar and that is not all on him. Those guys are train wrecks. But Braun was able to carry Stuart, and Demers just can't stand out without a top notch guy watching his back.

Our big problem was a left side Dman. With Vlasic we had a genuine puck moving defensive D and best defensive guy in the league. After that, when a 19 year old rookie Mueller is vastly outplaying Hannan and Irwin, you have problems.

Now we have a pretty good Left side Dman coming back in the deal and can bring up Fedun(Who impressed at camp), but we had enough right side Dmen. All that remains is to waive Irwin.

Demers with his first goal of the season,   LOL.

Amazizng how often a change of scenery make a difference.

A lot of people have big games their first week after a trade :)

Sturm and Stuart had a goal and 2 assists between them when they were traded first game.

Ryane Clowe had a 2 goal, 1 assist first game in his trade. Dany Heatley had a goal and assist in his first Minny game, Setoguchi a goal in 2 of his first 3 games.

Etc etc lol

Demers has a lot of tools but no toolbox. He's prone to absolutely boneheaded plays and only plays well with a solid defensive partner. If his partner is not solid, he will look like an AHL player.

• 3 weeks later...

Demers with his first goal of the season,   LOL.

Amazizng how often a change of scenery make a difference.

Thus far since the trade(And waiving Burish), Sharks are 6-2-1 and our PK has improved to 87% over the stretch(Thank god Burish is not playing our PK anymore)

In the last 10 games as well.....

FenwickB4q5cWoCQAAXF6c.png

It is surprising since Dillon/Burns has not been a great pairing by my eye test. but they are settling in to each others rhythms

Archived