Bruins have never retired any goaltenders numbers. Strange.

nORRis8

Goalies retired numbers teams and players:

Flames : Mike Vernon 30

Hawks Glen Hall 1 and Tony O 35

Colorado Pat Roy 33

Wings Sawchuck 1

Oilers Fuhr 31

Kings Rogie Vachon 30

Montreal Plante 1 Dryden 29 Roy 33

Isles Billy Smith 31

Rangers Giacomin 1 Richter 35

Flyers Parent 1

Leafs Broda  and Bower 1...Leafs do a weird honor number thing...not retiring them.

Bruins : Zero

Not one.A mystery.

The 3  that come to mind is Tiny Thompson, Frank Bremsik and of course Gerry Cheevers...honorable mention Eddie Johnston.

Thompson and Bremsik well before my time...Cheevers ...remember him well.

All 3 are in the HHoF.

Thompson 4 Vezina trophies 74 shutouts 284 wins 1 Cup win

Bremsik  2 Vezinas  40 shutouts 252 wins  2 Cup wins

Cheevers 230 wins 26 shutouts 2 Cup wins

Bruins have 10 retired numbers 4 d-men 6 forwards.

Time to wake up Bruins and recognize these warriors. Cheesy is 74 years. Time is running out and he is very worthy.

post-1382-0-24849500-1418009869_thumb.jp

11 teams have retired at least one goal tender number per your figures. That means 19 teams have not so that makes it less strange. But, the Bruins have been around ALLOT longer than most so that makes it more strange. Kinda of even steven but I agree, (not knowing the Bruins that well) they should retire at least Cheesy's number while he can still be part of it and if 4 Vezinas (Thompson) doesn't get you in then nothing will...

@nORRis8IMHO, and this is pure conjecture on my part, but I believe the reason Cheevers never had his number retired is pettiness.

He left for the WHA at a time when the Bruins had won 2 cups in 3 years, and they slipped back a bit while he was gone, and when he returned the Bi Bad Bruins had been replaced by the last great Dynasty of their most hated team. In fact, the Bruins led by Ratelle, Park, Don Cherry and Cheevers simply could not get over the hump again and were a frustrated bunch. I think Cheevers was a hell of a goalie, f he had stayed in Boston and not spent years toiling in Richfield Ohio out among the cornfields and had instead stayed in Boston, he would have certainly had his number retired. In Fact, he would have appeared i the Summit series if not for the ban on NHLers who went to the new league, along with Hull and possibly Sanderson.  And he had the absolute coolest mask of all time.

Like you,. i remember Cheevers, I even remember him in the WHA having spent my misguided youth here in Ohio. Brimsek i do not remember, but his numbers are eye popping and I cant understand overlooking him. 

@yave1964

Cheesie was making around 48-50 large a year in 72.

Cleveland offered him 150,000  over 4 years.

He wanted to stay in Boston however the new GM that year was........................Harry Sinden.

Thus a new era of negotiating contracts had begun

.@hf101 No one should feel slighted not even Eddie Johnson

@yave1964

Cheesie was making around 48-50 large a year in 72.

Cleveland offered him 150,000  over 4 years.

He wanted to stay in Boston however the new GM that year was........................Harry Sinden.

Thus a new era of negotiating contracts had begun

.@hf101 No one should feel slighted not even Eddie Johnson

Oh I know, the money was too ridiculously good in the WHA for those willing to risk it and the Bruins were a notoriously cheap team, they lost Sanderson who gets a bad rep because of the contract he signed with the Blazers but was a good checking forward who could score, Pie McKenzie who went on to play throughout the 7 years in the WHA and of course Cheevers. Over the next several years some lesser lights such as Dave Forbes moved to the WHA as well. In fact, in the entire NHL probably no team got hit as hard with defections save the Seals and Charlie 'White Skates' Finley. If you get that reference, well, you are an old codger like me, lol.

It was a crying damn shame the pettiness shown by the NHL towards the players who fled to the WHA for more money by not allowing them to play in the Summit series. With Hull on Espo's wing and Cheevers in net for a couple of games, it would not have taken 8 games to dispatch those dirty Ruskies....

@yave1964

The WHA was a agents dream and an owners nightmare.

They escalated salaries plus truly did introduce Eurpeans to North American hockey.

Clarence Campbell crapped his pants finding out there was to be a WHA team in New York and quickly got a group together to get the Islanders in the Nassau Coliseum.

They had to move into MSG where the crowds were poor and the rent too high. They were toast after a season and a half.

@jammer2 Yes...Frankie Bremsik was incredible. There was a mutiny when the B's droopped Thompson for Bremsik but Frankie notched something 10 shutouts his first season at one point he got 6 shutouts in 7 games!!!!

Favorite Cheevers story was Bobby Hull recieving a pass 20 feet in front of the net where he pulled the trigger and blasted a howistzer...only to look up and see the puck in the net and see Cheevers standing to the side of it.

Cheesie felt due to being late in the game...the Bruins were up by 3 or 4....why get killed?

Archived