Could Sabres brass have other targets outside the "big two"

Buffalo Rick

We hear all about McDavid and Eichel and the defenseman.  But could there be some dark horse picks?  Could the Sabres have really done their homework and said, lets just let the chips fall and if we wind up 4th we are ok?  Maybe they see someone on there they have alot of confidence in?  They certainly are not tanking.  They are competitive in every game and even beat the defending champs.  So they cannot be accused of scuttling the ship like Edmonton and Carolina and maybe Columbus?  If they somehow manage to climb above 500 then you must assume they have their radar on some other players in what is considered the deepest draft in years?

@Hockey Junkie

Nobody is telling their players to lose. Nobody on the Sabres roster wants to lose. Nolan wants to prove its his job going forward. Deep down inside I'd bet management wants McDavid or Eichel but theres not much you can do if your team wins. I'd love to see Philly get one of them too. It would be the best thing in the long run. But its really not much in sportsmanship to do it. There are some other really good players in this draft. But there isn't a gm with a brain who thinks anyone is better than the top 2.

@Hockey Junkie

Nobody is telling their players to lose. Nobody on the Sabres roster wants to lose. Nolan wants to prove its his job going forward. Deep down inside I'd bet management wants McDavid or Eichel but theres not much you can do if your team wins. I'd love to see Philly get one of them too. It would be the best thing in the long run. But its really not much in sportsmanship to do it. There are some other really good players in this draft. But there isn't a gm with a brain who thinks anyone is better than the top 2.

@Hockey Junkie

Not unless there is a goalie out there?

Theres no goalie rated to go first round. Your own pick is presently going to get you something along the lines of Hanifan/Strome/Zacha I would think. Very good players, but they aren't the top 2 calibre.

Even if there was one ranked, taking a goalie with a top-5 pick means you gotta be sure he's the real thing. I don't know how a GM could be sure enough to do so. Career-limiting move right there.

Archived