New Jersey Devils All-Stars vs Colorado Avalanche All-Stars, Brodeur vs Roy who is the bes

davebowls64

I am a long time New Jersey Devils fan. I have a few friends and coworkers that are hockey fans, mainly New York Ranger fans, a few fellow Devil fans, but one friend that I talk to most of all about hockey is a long time Colorado Avalanche fan. All though we respect each others teams, being fans of the two teams that arguably had the best goaltending in the league for the longest time, we always seem to bump heads as to who the better team would be. With the recent retirement of Martin Brodeur, our conversations about this got more heated. We are trying to find unbiased opinions based off of what our fantasy all-star teams would be for our respective teams. We were only allowed to base it off stats of players for their tenure with the team. For example I could not pick Jaromir Jagr and include his stats from his time with Pittsburgh. We had to choose 3 forwards, 2 defensemen and one goaltender. This is what we came up with:

Devils:

Left Wing- John Maclean

Center- Scott Gomez

Right Wing- Patrik Elias

Defense 1- Scott Stevens

Defense 2- Scott Niedermayer

Goalie- Martin Brodeur

Avalanche:

Left Wing- Michel Goulet

Center- Joe Sakic
Right Wing- Peter Forsberg

Defense 1- Adam Foote

Defense 2- Rob Blake

Goalie- Patrick Roy

Once again we are looking for unbiased opinions and all are welcome. This is just something fun we decided to do to settle our argument once and for all.

So I have a friendly debate going on with my friend whose team would win given we're using our best players. To keep things simple we stuck with one line. These are his and my chosen players.

Devils: Brodeur, Stevens, Neidermayer, MacLean, Gomez, and Elias

Avalanche: Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Foote, Blake, Roy

Thanks in advance guys!

@davebowls64  @Hybridreamer

Welcome guys,

Glad you chose to bring your debate here.  I thought I'd merge the two threads as this is a challenging topic.  LoL  

I have to agree that Brodeur is the best goaltender ever.  Not sticking to the debate completely here I'd take the Devils Defense and Goaltending and The Avalanche's forwards.

I guess I'm not much help...

Thanks for combining the two threads. We actually thought we were posting on separate forums.

With regards to the topic I'm very depressed you chose Brodeur over Patrick Roy!

I will definitely agree with taking the Devils defense over the Avalanche defense.

@Hybridreamer

Being a Flyers fan and watching the Devils trap our offense  year after year it is hard not to appreciate the skill Brodeur brought to the game.  His puck skills helped the Devils transition game and imo, there was none better.  Then again I hated S. Stevens with a passion.  

Now if I'm talking Forsberg -- others will probably vouch for me here that he is still my favorite player of all time and the reason I started posting on a message board.

Hmm...we talking ENTIRE all star teams for each, or just a single line and a single pair of D-men?

That DOES make a difference, because, for the Devils side, a line that REALLY made that team go, even though individually they weren't all stars, was the Crash Line of Randy McKay, Bobby Holik, and Mike Peluso.

While they knocked people about, the other team got so focused on them, that the star lines on the Devils had an even easier time of things. And if the McKay-Holik-Peluso line was ignored, then THEY would get you with some forechecking, cycling, and a goal or two themselves.

Single lines, single pairing D-men, the Devils probably win the defensive side hands down (goalie included), forward lines on their own, Avs get the nod there.

Complete 23 man teams? Wow...one could go on all day and night for either side with that.

Hmm...we talking ENTIRE all star teams for each, or just a single line and a single pair of D-men?

That DOES make a difference, because, for the Devils side, a line that REALLY made that team go, even though individually they weren't all stars, was the Crash Line of Randy McKay, Bobby Holik, and Mike Peluso.

While they knocked people about, the other team got so focused on them, that the star lines on the Devils had an even easier time of things. And if the McKay-Holik-Peluso line was ignored, then THEY would get you with some forechecking, cycling, and a goal or two themselves.

Single lines, single pairing D-men, the Devils probably win the defensive side hands down (goalie included), forward lines on their own, Avs get the nod there.

Complete 23 man teams? Wow...one could go on all day and night for either side with that.

Yeah you do make some good points, I guess we were talking more single lines and single D-men. Picking more of our top guys from each team. We both mutually agree both teams are great from top to bottom over each of their history's so it's hard to compare complete teams.

Why does everyone pick Brodeur over Roy?! And I think we're just sticking to one line teams to keep things simplified.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I got more exposure to Brodeur than I did Roy being a mostly Eastern Conference hockey fan when I was younger, and to me, Brodeur was the standard bearer who took OVER for Patrick Roy as Roy headed into the latter half of his career.

That said, if someone chooses Brodeur over Roy, or Roy over Brodeur, really, its like picking between a BMW luxury sedan to a Lexus counterpart....both are nice, both have their strong suits, and each will suit a different sort of taste....both BOTH are performance driven, high end, and is what most other sedans aspire to be.

Same with these two goalies.

Roy was a bit more fiery, with Brodeur calm cool collected......Roy seemed to play his best when he saw more shots, Brodeur played behind a perpetual wall of defense, but could almost ALWAYS be counted to make that big save when he absolutely had to.

As a fan of a mostly bad Lightning team for many years, I found myself always wondering..."Where was MY team's Martin Brodeur?"

Again, that is just me. :)

Why does everyone pick Brodeur over Roy?! And I think we're just sticking to one line teams to keep things simplified.

Actually, its more like why does everyone pick Brodeur over Hasek?. Btw, welcome to the site. Its filled with very friendly people and there is absolutely no trolls here. That being said, you should also join HFBoards  ;)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I got more exposure to Brodeur than I did Roy being a mostly Eastern Conference hockey fan when I was younger, and to me, Brodeur was the standard bearer who took OVER for Patrick Roy as Roy headed into the latter half of his career.

That said, if someone chooses Brodeur over Roy, or Roy over Brodeur, really, its like picking between a BMW luxury sedan to a Lexus counterpart....both are nice, both have their strong suits, and each will suit a different sort of taste....both BOTH are performance driven, high end, and is what most other sedans aspire to be.

Same with these two goalies.

Roy was a bit more fiery, with Brodeur calm cool collected......Roy seemed to play his best when he saw more shots, Brodeur played behind a perpetual wall of defense, but could almost ALWAYS be counted to make that big save when he absolutely had to.

As a fan of a mostly bad Lightning team for many years, I found myself always wondering..."Where was MY team's Martin Brodeur?"

Again, that is just me. :)

In the Playoffs i would absolutely pick Roy over Brodeur. Roy just stepped his game up in the playoffs more then other goalies. His 3 Conn Smythes speak for themselves and i dont see anyone winning more than that any time soon. 

Ha i saw you on HFboards and it appears your account is new, did you know about it already?

Haha yes I made an account on both and shared the same question hoping to get a wider range of feedback.

And I must say I like those forums much better. They all sided with Colorado!

Haha yes I made an account on both and shared the same question hoping to get a wider range of feedback.

Well, tbh HFboards is far more active, but that also mean far more trolls. Idk, some people on HFboards arent friendly at all. The moderators can be really strict as well.

i guess we are making progress here then if folks are now signing up on both.  ;)

It wouldn't surprise me if @ sides with Colorado.

i guess we are making progress here then if folks are now signing up on both.   ;)

It wouldn't surprise me if @ sides with Colorado.

opinionson certain subjects here are the opinions that are very rare in HFboards. For example, almost no one thinks Brodeur is the GOAT in HFBoards...

opinionson certain subjects here are the opinions that are very rare in HFboards. For example, almost no one thinks Brodeur is the GOAT in HFBoards...

all most no one eh?  Well this isn't the first time my opinion here is in the minority, but it makes for good discussion.

I think it really comes down on how you qualify the term "greatest"  are we speaking specific stats in a few exceptional years or being great over a long period of time?   If I think over a career and what Brodeur accomplished with his style of tending net, you can't overlook the fact that they they changed the rules to give other teams a chance playing against him.   Yeah Roy and Hasek were also awesome goaltenders, but when I think of how long Brodeur kept the Devils a Stanley Cup Contender I think he wins hands down.

all most no one eh? Well this isn't the first time my opinion here is in the minority, but it makes for good discussion.

I think it really comes down on how you qualify the term "greatest" are we speaking specific stats in a few exceptional years or being great over a long period of time? If I think over a career and what Brodeur accomplished with his style of tending net, you can't overlook the fact that they they changed the rules to give other teams a chance playing against him. Yeah Roy and Hasek were also awesome goaltenders, but when I think of how long Brodeur kept the Devils a Stanley Cup Contender I think he wins hands down.

quite a few ppl here think brodeur is the goat and was kind of surprised.

My belief is that Brodeur is very much like Derek Jeter or Bratt Farve. A great player whose stats are impressive not only due to talent but also due to longevity.

I side with Roy because he stepped his game up when playoff time came around. On top of the fact that I'm a biased Avs fan haha.

Which btw we got a huge win last night over Dallas to push us into the 9th spot in the West.

My belief is that Brodeur is very much like Derek Jeter or Bratt Farve. A great player whose stats are impressive not only due to talent but also due to longevity.

I side with Roy because he stepped his game up when playoff time came around. On top of the fact that I'm a biased Avs fan haha.

Which btw we got a huge win last night over Dallas to push us into the 9th spot in the West.

And also due to playing the most games and minutes of any goalie. Playing on one of the greatest defensive teams. TRAP SYSTEM.... No doubt Brodeur is a great goalie but he was helped immensely by the things i listed.

Archived