While we have the time...

WingNut722

The Wings finally figured out a way to beat the Islanders at the Joe on Saturday.  now we have to wait until Thursday to see hockey again...

So....

*awkward silence*

The trade deadline begins to loom.  Think there are any realistic moves that Ken Holland can make to improve the team?  At what cost?

Personally, I don't think there's a whole lot, without giving up more prospects and draft picks.  They have demonstrated quality at every position on the ice.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The question is...is this a Stanley Cup caliber team right now?

@WingNut722

I believe  we still need anothe rpuck moving d-man, and Marchenko and Oullet are being checked out at the NHL level for 2 reasons:

To see if they can fit the bill

To show them to scouts of other teams who wish to see them at the NHL level.

Both have done quite well in limited time, I am not certain if we are going to make a move but if we do I believe one of them will be part of thepackage.

Tyler Myers is the name that keeps popping up, d-men are scarce and you have to overpay for them but the Buffalo GM appears to be in love with his roster and will only deal if he is getting max return. That is inexcusable in the case of someone like Chris Stewart who is a retread but understandable when it comes to someone like the enormously talented 24 year old Myers.

Names I have read are: one of the two kid d-men, Jurco and a high pick.

Personally, I do that deal all day long and I think it is good for Buffalo as well. Continuing to stockpile picks and young talent at multiple positions, and we obviously get the better player currently for our push.

Thoughts?

@yave1964

Good points (as usual; of course when do you ever vomit useless information)

I thought it was a little unusal to bring Marchenko up from Grand Rapids when Oullett was playing just fine.  Ken Holland has been selling off his prospects and young players for the last few years, so he should definitely think about keeping a few.  Jurco can go, Andersson can go, and if Oullett/Marchenko were to be the "highlight" of the deal, do you think that's enough to sway Tyler Myers?

You get a strong young power forward, a decent centerman, and a young confident D-man for your best blueliner.  If you were Tim Murray, would you make that trade?  Is Tyler Myers the kind of kid you build your franchise around, or is he expendable in favor of Operation Etch-A-Sketch?

@WingNut722

I think Oullet is the centerpiece of a trade for a puck mover. When he was exposed by the Lightning who collapsed against him he had his worst game as a Wing and was sent down a day later with positives stated by Ken Holland. Part of me feels that Holland was concerned that if Oullet had a couple of bad games his marketability would be dropped like a stone, so the whole 'lets see what we have in Marchenko and then maybe Sproul' was a way of keeping the scouting reports on Oulet glowing, it is easier to say hey, he had one bad game than two or three in a row.

Murray confuses me, I don't understand the guy sometimes, he seems to feel he is breaking up the 1970's Canadiens, the Sabres have so many needs and a player like Myers would fill two or three. I think Oullet is the most likely wing defender gone, if I were Murray, a package of Jurco, Oullet and a first for Myers would be hard to turn down. Supposedly he wants Dylan Larkin as the forward back, I would tell Murray to take a hike on that one, our former number one pick from last year is the next Ryan Callahan, yes he is three or four years away but we have a ton of 'ready now' prospects, I personally would hate to see local boy Larkin dealt in any package.

@WingNut722

I think Oullet is the centerpiece of a trade for a puck mover. When he was exposed by the Lightning who collapsed against him he had his worst game as a Wing and was sent down a day later with positives stated by Ken Holland. Part of me feels that Holland was concerned that if Oullet had a couple of bad games his marketability would be dropped like a stone, so the whole 'lets see what we have in Marchenko and then maybe Sproul' was a way of keeping the scouting reports on Oulet glowing, it is easier to say hey, he had one bad game than two or three in a row.

Murray confuses me, I don't understand the guy sometimes, he seems to feel he is breaking up the 1970's Canadiens, the Sabres have so many needs and a player like Myers would fill two or three. I think Oullet is the most likely wing defender gone, if I were Murray, a package of Jurco, Oullet and a first for Myers would be hard to turn down. Supposedly he wants Dylan Larkin as the forward back, I would tell Murray to take a hike on that one, our former number one pick from last year is the next Ryan Callahan, yes he is three or four years away but we have a ton of 'ready now' prospects, I personally would hate to see local boy Larkin dealt in any package.

I think that is more than acceptable offer for Myers. And I agree to saying no to Larkin.

I think that is more than acceptable offer for Myers. And I agree to saying no to Larkin.

Me three.

But I dunno if Murray would go for it. I think Yave is EXACTLY right on the reason for Marchenko being brought up. It's sales season, and you've got to market your products. Truthfully, WE also need to see what these boys can do at the NHL level, even for us. Oullet is going to be a player in this league. He is a marketable asset, and although he is impressive as a d-man for the most part, not always the great puck-mover we need, and thus expendable.

Excellent analysis, @yave1964.

Archived