Howard saved our fannies!

SpikeDDS

Thoughts after the Chicago game:

Thank goodness Jimmy Howard seems to have returned to his pre-injury form, because he is the only reason we got 2 points tonight. He even won the shootout for the first time this season. We are fortunate to have the goaltending that we have.

Our play in front of Howard in the first 30 minutes was sickening! We're we even awake?! I know Chicago is a good team, but they weren't winning because they were so much more talented than we are. They were winning because they wanted it more. We were EXTREMELY fortunate to score first over halfway through the game.

That non-call on offsides that cost us the Blackhawks' first goal sucked. I can't get on the linesmen too much, because they are usually crazy-accurate with those calls. It's a rarity when they miss one. They missed that one, and it seems strange because of how Hossa was stretching to try to remain onside. It should have been an easy call. Nope. Like I said, can't be too hard on 'em. They've got a tough job that few can do with excellence, and NO ONE can do with perfection.

Thought Tats played a pretty good game. Helm was excellent, and a very important counter to the pesky Saad who is so quick! Helm was all over the ice tonight. He sure has come into his own this season.

Got the 2 points and got this tough road trip off to a fine start, but only because Jimmy Howard kept them in it. He stole this one. We better not go to this well too often.

Fun game to watch.

@SpikeDDS

Chicago came out hard, the first period and a half they could have been up by a couple of goals, at one point I think the shots for were like 25-9 Chicago. So right, this was Howards game, the one that we needed from him.

Helm with Datsyuk for the past couple of weeks is genius. Our fastest most opportunistic forward has started scoring regularly being set up by Magic and setting up Dats as well. And now Tatar with them Wow. It relegates Zetterberg to the second line, but tonight several times when Babs knew that Quinneville had played Keith on a double shift, Babs would follow by putting Z and Pavel on a line for 45 seconds. Frankly, I felt that Babs outcoached Joel in a battle of two fo the best coaches in the game.

A quick word about one of the Hawks, Saad has turned into one of the most opportunistic snipers in the game. We didn't have much of an answer for him tonight, (Save Howard) as he seemed to be behind our defense all night. Just turning into one hell of a weapon.

Like you said, a great win, we have been on the road forever now, really needed this one to start this final big trip of the year. A six game road trip that determines if we are a divisional contender or if we are playing the loser of Tampa/Montreal. Glad when its over and we get the chance to get back home for most of March.

Mrazek had a few rough patches, but for the most part was steady and reliable. So much so, that I think it's bringing out the best of Howard. He knows if he falters that Babber will not hesitate to go with the talented youngster. This has created a healthy productive situation in net, exactly what the Wings needed. I suspect the Monster will be dealt if the right deal comes by.

Archived