Tlusty to the Jets for Picks

Podein25

UFA Jiri Tlusty was dealt today by the Hurricanes to the Winnipeg jets in exchange for a third rounder this year and a conditional pick in the following draft.48w9Yvb.jpg

Love the move by the Jets. After the big deal with the Sabres a few weeks ago acquiring Myers and Stafford, Cheveldayoff said he was not likely done, and after losing Matthieu Perreault to injury the aggressive Jets added a scoring winger who should provide offense and play big minutes. An unrestricted free agent, this is a perfect landing spot for him as the Jets are hungry for the postseason and if he helps get them there it will undoubtedly help his bargaining in the offseason.

I will reiterate my thoughts in the shoutbox on this deal here...I like the deal for Winnipeg.

Good skater, good speed, decent checker, and he will quietly tally up some points for his new team.

But, I also hope he doesn't help the Jets TOO much as Minnesota is trying to track down Winnipeg for ownership of the 1st WC spot. The holder of that 1st WC likely sidesteps having to play Nashville in the opening round.

Seems to me whenever the Carolina Hurricanes pressured and caused havoc for the opposition in the offensive zone, Tlusty was in the middle of it....either showing up on the scoresheet, or making plays so others show up on the scoresheet with the help of his work.

This will NOW help the Jets who have much more depth than Carolina does.

As for the Canes, they are obviously looking to get enough picks so they can get an assortment of players via the draft in the near future. I always said Carolina DOES have some good talent....but their lineup is paper thin and can't really withstand significant or even mid level injuries without upsetting its balance.

Hurricanes can definitely use some depth at both the NHL level and their minor league level to help boost players like the Staals, Skinner, Semin, Nash, Lindholm, and Faulk.

Picks, picks, and more picks can help remedy this.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Does Tlusty have good speed? I rarely see 'Canes games. I hope he is in good shape or he will die after his first Jets practice. 

He's pretty speedy....he isn't a 'burner' like a Jason Zucker, Jonathan Drouin, Nate MacKinnon, or Nail Yakupov, but he is no slouch in the speed department.

Jeff Skinner is pretty fast, and Tlusty has played on lines with him and kept up just fine.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Does Tlusty have good speed? I rarely see 'Canes games. I hope he is in good shape or he will die after his first Jets practice. 

Not Ray Whitney in his prime but fast, and a natural goal scoring shot. For his career he has more goals than assists going into this year, he shoots first, asks questions later. Not cute, simply gets the puck and shoots and drives the net. Stafford and he really should be a good match together.

@Podein25

One thing I hadn't considered until after I posted....Tlusty MAY have to adjust to the greater intensity level that the Jets play at over the Hurricanes.

That shouldn't be a problem for him, given how the Jets play the game and the fact that they are actually in a playoff race.

But I have noted at times with Carolina where he goes through cycles with 'spurts' of intensity, only to let up a bit.

Not sure if that is a work ethic thing with him, or just the fact that the Canes, as a whole, were just bound for nowhere from almost the very beginning of the season.

One game I attended, where the Canes visited the Wild, one of the Staal brothers could be seen sort of 'lecturing' him a bit after a botched play as they skated off to the bench during  a whislte. The "talking to" seemed pretty intense, with Tlusty constantly nodding his head in what looked like acknowledgement...next couple shifts, Tlusty looked MUCH more engaged in the game.

Again, given how the Jets play, Paul Maurice, and some other players on the team, keeping his head in the game in Winnipeg shouldn't be a problem...and if it is, I am sure someone there will snap him back to reality.

But when he is engaged, he should serve the Jets pretty well and have no problem keeping up with the Winnipeg team speed.

Archived