Ridiculous NHL Article Saying Jagr Is The Third Best Forward In Hockey History

JagerMeister

It's tough to compare players from different eras.

Jagr is certainly one of the very best of my generation. If he hadn't gone to the KHL, he would have 2000 regular season points and I think the conversation would be very different. Somehow Jagr manages to fly under the radar and still not get the kind of attention normally reserved for players of his calibre.   :mellow:

How does he compare to Messier? Messier played on better teams, with better players (generally), and during a higher scoring era. Messier was more of a 2-way player. In terms of pure offence, Jagr > Messier. Howe was an amazing goal scorer that played almost two careers worth of games. Again, hard to compare. It's a very different game today versus 1960.

Name another player in the last 25 years that is better than Jagr offensively and that isn't named Gretzky or Lemieux. I guess that would be a good starting point.  :)

It's tough to compare players from different eras.

Jagr is certainly one of the very best of my generation. If he hadn't gone to the KHL, he would have 2000 regular season points and I think the conversation would be very different. Somehow Jagr manages to fly under the radar and still not get the kind of attention normally reserved for players of his calibre.   :mellow:

How does he compare to Messier? Messier played on better teams, with better players (generally), and during a higher scoring era. Messier was more of a 2-way player. In terms of pure offence, Jagr > Messier. Howe was an amazing goal scorer that played almost two careers worth of games. Again, hard to compare. It's a very different game today versus 1960.

Name another player in the last 25 years that is better than Jagr offensively and that isn't named Gretzky or Lemieux. I guess that would be a good starting point.  :)

None in the last 25 years, but Lafleur, Hull and Esposito were all better pure offensive players than him. And then there are two way forwards such as Sakic, Messier, Beliveau and Mikita that are also better than Jagr overall

Lafleur had as good as a peak as Jagr but was twice as good in the playoffs, Hull could have 800 goals if he didnt choose to leave to the WHL. Messier was a better playoff performer as well as being a dominant force phsyically. Mikita had a good two way game apparently and Sakic was almost as good as Jagr, But the gap isnt that big as it is for Sakic being better defensively than Jagr

None in the last 25 years, but Lafleur, Hull and Esposito were all better pure offensive players than him. And then there are two way forwards such as Sakic, Messier, Beliveau and Mikita that are also better than Jagr overall

Lafleur had as good as a peak as Jagr but was twice as good in the playoffs, Hull could have 800 goals if he didnt choose to leave to the WHL. Messier was a better playoff performer as well as being a dominant force phsyically. Mikita had a good two way game apparently and Sakic was almost as good as Jagr, But the gap isnt that big as it is for Sakic being better defensively than Jagr

Exactly. If you look at their overall game, Sakic, Yzerman, Messier, et all are outstanding players that do more than Jagr and still provide nearly the same output offensively.   :)

Exactly. If you look at their overall game, Sakic, Yzerman, Messier, et all are outstanding players that do more than Jagr and still provide nearly the same output offensively.   :)

I dont fully agree on Yzerman. He only became a two way player after he had his 100 point seasons. But before that, he was as purely offensive like Jagr. The difference between Sakic and Yzerman was that Sakic was a two way player while putting up 100 points. In 2000 Sakic lost the art ross to Jagr by a few points yet came 2nd in selke voting. While Yzerman didnt get any selke votes until 1995. And never hit 100 points again.

Archived