Top Free agents in a very weak class

The worst part about addressing your weaknesses through free agency is not the cap hit, it's the overpayment of years that is the killer. For that reason alone, free agency is gonna have less and less of an impact in the coming years. GM's are going to get a front seat for teams that are getting killed paying players past their primes and still making the top money.....a LOT of GM's are gonna see the negative impact on the cap and *finally* get smart....let someone else overpay!!

This has been happening in most - if not all - sports lately. It's practically assumed you have to overpay for someone. Aside from that, I have no problem with free agency and frankly this team is going to need a few free agents (not necessarily this year) if they ever want to get better.

This has been happening in most - if not all - sports lately. It's practically assumed you have to overpay for someone. Aside from that, I have no problem with free agency and frankly this team is going to need a few free agents (not necessarily this year) if they ever want to get better.

It tends to be "assumed" yet many times, that is not the case.

Everyone was convinced Niskanen was going to get 6.5-7million last year, but he went at 5.5.

Everyone was convinced Ehrhoff would get 5-6+, but he went for 4.

Stralman was supposed to go for 5.5, but went for 4.5.

You never know. those were BARGAINS for what they have brought to their teams.

@J0e Th0rnton  Especially Stralman, he's playing some fantastic hockey for the Bolts right now....so yeah, the deals/bargains are out there, but you really have to search to go find them. Stevie Y took a leap of faith with Stralman, cause his ice time was never top 4 prior to this contract...it was bottom pairing, so Stevie and his pro scouts properly projected Stralmans game with more ice time...which is a hard thing to do...so kudos!!

It tends to be "assumed" yet many times, that is not the case.

Everyone was convinced Niskanen was going to get 6.5-7million last year, but he went at 5.5.

Everyone was convinced Ehrhoff would get 5-6+, but he went for 4.

Stralman was supposed to go for 5.5, but went for 4.5.

You never know. those were BARGAINS for what they have brought to their teams.

Three players is not many and I wouldn't call them all bargains.

Erhoff played 49 games this year and missed the playoffs entirely. 1 year at $4 mil is certainly not the worst thing in the world, I hear you, but he wasn't even worth what he was making; even if it was on the "cheaper" side. Wasn't he bought out by his previous team too?

7 years is a long time. The money isn't all that bad and Niskanen isn't what I'd call old (and he's a good player), but that's an overpayment on years for his age imo which goes back to jammer's point. They had to give him that, because in today's day and age you have to give the player too much (on some level). Not as

I don't even know who Anton Stralman is, so I will take your word on that one.

Three players is not many and I wouldn't call them all bargains.

Erhoff played 49 games this year and missed the playoffs entirely. 1 year at $4 mil is certainly not the worst thing in the world, I hear you, but he wasn't even worth what he was making; even if it was on the "cheaper" side. Wasn't he bought out by his previous team too?

7 years is a long time. The money isn't all that bad and Niskanen isn't what I'd call old (and he's a good player), but that's an overpayment on years for his age imo which goes back to jammer's point. They had to give him that, because in today's day and age you have to give the player too much (on some level). Not as

I don't even know who Anton Stralman is, so I will take your word on that one.

I know 3 is not many, but I was merely looking at the top defensemen available last offseason because that is the position i wanted the Sharks to fill last offseason.

Niskanen is 27. 27 is typically the year defensemen hit their primes. It takes him to age 34. given cap escalation, that is an outstanding contract given how well he has played for the caps. 5.5 million for a solid #3 two way defenseman is great.

You don't know Stralman? How is that possible? He is one of the better defensive dmen in the league, and has a two way touch if the coach chooses to use it(Tampa has, he scored 39 points this season and was +22)

Ehrhoff was not bought out due to typical reasons. He was still effective, and yeah, he got concussed this year. It happens. but 4 million is a BARGAIN for a #3  two way puck moving defenseman

Archived